Lake Benbrook Texas $10,000

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I met an old fellow while detecting a school the other day who hauled gravel during the time of the construction of Lake Benbrook near Fort Worth Texas. He told me of where he heard $10,000 was buried. He did not know if it was cash or coin and thought it was probably under water now but who knows. I know how to find the general spot but an underwater detector (that I don't have) might be helpful. Anyone interested?

P

platypus

hey rw

im in fort worth and ive always wondered about this treasure after reading about it years ago.
ive heard the sam bass buried it too. who knows for sure?

the story comes from the U.S. treasure atlas vol. 9,:
Around 1950, an old man just released from prison said that he had buried a milk can containing $35,000 in gold coins that he had taken from the body of a dead man and buried the treasure in the area of Benbrook, SW of Fort Worth. At the time of his release, waters from Lake Benbrook had since covered the area and he thought the coins were probably under the shores of the lake. There was some searching at the time, but the treasure was not found.

i fish the lake a lot, and i always wonder if im standing on top of the treasure.

there is also a story about a rich land owner named william riddle that lived on the tarrant - johnson county line that buried $100,000 on his ranch back in the 1800's.

i have an old tarrant county map from 1898, and it shows where his ranch was but its difficult to match it up to todays maps.

but even so, ive matched it pretty darn close, to where i think it is, but, its on private property and its a large area to search.

ive always wanted to go get permission and get a few guys together and give it a search.

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
platypus said:
Around 1950, an old man just released from prison said that he had buried a milk can containing $35,000 in gold coins that he had taken from the body of a dead man and buried the treasure in the area of Benbrook, SW of Fort Worth. At the time of his release, waters from Lake Benbrook had since covered the area and he thought the coins were probably under the shores of the lake.

Well I found an old handgun and some bullets last summer on shore of Lake Benbrook. In the same area was what I thought to be a small decayed metal drum buried in the rocks. Maybe it was the milk can? Area is now under water.I will go back during next drought.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
hey RW.. How deep do you think it would be ? I have a CZ20 water machine. But I do not dive. If you think it is reachable during the next drought, Maybe......... Give me a Yell. Texas Drought time is coming ......again..soon Hh Gayle in Houston

Digger39

Mar 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
RW, mundane is Digger38, I live in Bedford near fort worth. I recently purchased a new ace pro water unit. I would be happy to get with you and do some water hunting on Lake Benbrook. You can email me at [email protected].. I look forward to hearing from you!!

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Last summer Lake Benbrook was nearly empty, a record low, and several buddies and I scoured the lake bed all summer long. We found lots off cool stuff. Dug up a drum that I really had my fingers crossed on. But no big gold! Many small rings n things though... Haven't been checking this site lately but will let you know when where we go.

JPS

Jul 1, 2005
Mineral Wells

I want to research the story of the hill that had the original sign for the city of Mineral wells.
There was a cave at the bottom. Anyone interested?

ff404

Sep 16, 2007
RW:

I'm intrigued by what you've posted. I am about 2 hours north of you, however, I have an underwater detector, am a certified Divemaster, and myself and my dive partner are fully equipped and capable. If you decide to do more research and come up with some "concrete" possible locations, send me a PM or e-mail me if you need some help with the search.

Matt
[email protected]

Dale

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I'm in fort worth today is there any good places to try and metal detect today? What side of the lake would be good to start on..not in the water I'm staying on land its to cold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread