Question

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
I know slang over time changes, but does anyone know from around 1862, the distance for the term, a good mules walk would be?
Thanks, Tomcat9606.

From your question this would be hard to answer because you didn't say if you are talking about riding, packing or pulling a wagon. Most mules get bored after going long distances at the same pace making them want to walk out or trot for a while and then go back to walking until they want a rest. Most mules I have owned including Draft Mules, 30 miles would be a easy day for them.

OP
OP
T

tomcat9605

Dec 28, 2010
Well the passage in the diary only says a good mules walk distance so I'm not really sure I know that he was packing a pack but I'm not sure how much weight was in the pack

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
Maybe that was just a manner of speech being used in the diary you have because most animals being used for packing back in those early years were Donkeys and Burros not Mules. From the little you are saying I would think they were riding or driving the Mules.

OP
OP
T

tomcat9605

Dec 28, 2010
This was a family farm that had a lot of mules and I'm sure when the person took the items that he used one of the mules but as anything you just never know till you find out

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to figure out what a Country mile is. Good luck with your venture.

OP
OP
T

tomcat9605

Dec 28, 2010
Thanks a lot everyone it's going to take awhile to figure out which way he went and where he would have hit the family items but research is the only way to find a good stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread