Crossville, Tennessee - possible lead

kebo (scnative)

Mar 7, 2015
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero; Tesoro Conquistador uMax; Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a long shot but.... in Crossville TN, there is a Cumberland Mountain State park where my family used to have reunions at every other year or so. We stopped going up there many years ago, as most of mom's family passed on. She was raised in Monterrey (about a 25 min drive west on I-40) and she had a lot of siblings there. She is the only one left now (and living here in SC) but we still have a couple cousins living up there.

The state park has been there for many years, and there is a large creek that runs though it which has a dam that forms a small lake (actually known as Byrd Lake). In fact, as you drive into the park, you will drive across the dam. I remember when I was a young lad (about 50 years ago) there was an area roped off and set aside for swimming, before they put in a nice "modern" swimming pool.

If someone could ever get in there and detect that old swimming hole, you might could do pretty good. Of course, being a state park you would need to get permission from the rangers there. The hardest trick would be to catch it whenever they let the water down to repair the docks, boat houses, or whatever. Most of the swimming area was not very deep, so the water level would only need to drop maybe 4 or 5 ft to uncover a lot of dirt. As I recall, the swimming area was directly in front of where the restaurant is at.

Might be something at least worth asking about.

smiked

Feb 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a long shot but.... in Crossville TN, there is a Cumberland Mountain State park where my family used to have reunions at every other year or so. We stopped going up there many years ago, as most of mom's family passed on. She was raised in Monterrey (about a 25 min drive west on I-40) and she had a lot of siblings there. She is the only one left now (and living here in SC) but we still have a couple cousins living up there.

The state park has been there for many years, and there is a large creek that runs though it which has a dam that forms a small lake (actually known as Byrd Lake). In fact, as you drive into the park, you will drive across the dam. I remember when I was a young lad (about 50 years ago) there was an area roped off and set aside for swimming, before they put in a nice "modern" swimming pool.

If someone could ever get in there and detect that old swimming hole, you might could do pretty good. Of course, being a state park you would need to get permission from the rangers there. The hardest trick would be to catch it whenever they let the water down to repair the docks, boat houses, or whatever. Most of the swimming area was not very deep, so the water level would only need to drop maybe 4 or 5 ft to uncover a lot of dirt. As I recall, the swimming area was directly in front of where the restaurant is at.

Might be something at least worth asking about.

Thanks for the tip. That area isn't far away. However upon contacting the State Park, I was told: "Unfortunately by law it is illegal to use metal detectors and dig on state property."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread