Free Aerial Photos--whole US/Great for research

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Nice site, Bergie. Although my house must have moved since they set up that map cause it put the house in the next block as far as address location. Gonna have to check it out better on the home computer.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
bergie:
I was shocked,? :o? HECK! I was stunned!? >:(
Awhile back a friend of mine sent me one of the photos of my place!? :o
AND!
I moved out here in the "boonies" to get away from everyone!
Boy!? ?:o? ?Shades of Big Brother...? 8)

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Here's some gravy for your tatters Cap. Go to google.com and type in your phone number. If you're unlucky it will tell you your name and address and if you're real unlucky it will offer to show you how to get there by yahoomaps and mapquest with complete driving instructions. If you or anyone else does not want joe blow and company to be able to do that you must follow the instructions they give to get your data removed. Just another friendly free service from Big brother. exanimo, ss

fernie

Greenie
Feb 27, 2005
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, White's TM 808, White's DFX, Tesoro Toltec 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool , Thanks for the tip Bergie.
I would like to get some aerial photos of some areas in Mexico. A 1/2 mile square aerial photo of my target area would be nice! Does anyone have any info on this? A service that is not too pricey.
Thanks Fernie

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
cptbil,

Get the Geosync schedule, next time the satellite does a fly over pull down your pants, bend over, with a sign on your back telling them to kiss it.. ;D

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Cpt Bill,

What's worse is the realtime satellite images.. I've heard they can do infra-red and know if you are taking a dump, loading the AR15 or playing with momma in the bedroom.. That is what bothers me a bit about "BB" and we will NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!
I remember when our Aquila Energy (formerly Enron, Northern Natural Gas) came out with thermograms back in the late 80s so people could see an IR heat scan of each house.. That blew me away.. Technology has advanced so much in 20 years that we really do not know the capability of the satellites they are sending up..

Do a Google on Project "Echelon"..

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thank you for bumping this thread! this is going to help my reasearch a lot!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Terraserver is pretty good. If really hi-res images are available for your area, you will have to buy a subscription to download them. They charge a lot to download really large images. I found that there is 6" resolution available for the area where I live. Free viewing only allows you to see 8-Meter resolution at the most. Even when you buy a subscription, the images you will see on your screen are about 6" square....probably about 400 X 400 pixels or so no matter what the resolution.

So to get a rather large image, instead of shelling out 80 bucks for a 2000 X 2000 pixel image, I bought a week's subscription for 10 bucks, screen captured about a hundred of the small hi-res images from all around my area, and then did some photo shopping for a week or so to create a large super-hi-res collage. If I were to print it out, it would be about 5 feet square.

That said, there are two new products that are competing toe-to-toe with Terraserver.com:

1. Google Earth

2. MSN Virtual Earth.

Especially in the large metro areas, you can get hi-res images for FREE. Google Earth has other great features, like the ability to tilt the image so it looks like you are flying over the area. And in large metro areas like NY or L.A., there are crude 3-D images of the larger buildings (as in "skyscrapers").

Google Earth is cool, but it and MSN Virtual Earth do not always have the same hi-res images that terraserver.com has.
Google Earth has horribly bad imagery for the area I live in . MSN Virtual Earth is somewhat better, but it only has the 8-meter resolution black and white images that you can get for free on terraserver.com. So in my particular case, Terraserver.com yielded the best imagery, though I had to shell out a little money and put in some time & effort to create my large hi-res neighborhood image. ;D

Despite the Big Brother aspect of it all (*SIGH*), it is very helpful to have such tools available for us. One obvious tool is if you are looking at real estate (buying a house, perhaps you might want to know what the surrounding neighborhood is like).

A useful thing for us here at treasurenet.com might be (if it is hi-res imagery) that you can see old abandoned roads/trails, etc. and perhaps see where buildings used to be. As the CIA discovered early on, there is much you can learn from above that you might never see on the ground.

And of course, as time goes on, and the satellite imagery gets better and better, more hi-res imagery will be available to us.

One other thing. Perhaps I have not fully explored the features of Google Earth or MSN Virtual Earth, but terraserver.com will tell you the exact date when your image was taken. The images I used for my neighborhood collage were taken in May of 2000. I have not seen in the other two services any place that would list the date of the imagery.

Hope this rambling paragraph helps someone.
:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread