Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is one of the false leads by Terry, this one is for Montana:
Storage Cave
no county listed
The natives called the mountain Nyankara and on it was a cave where the Native Americans stored gold they obtained from a mine which was close by. Not wanting the whiteman to get the stored gold they hid the cave by covering it over.
The question is, where is Nyankara? A search does show a mountain by this name, but it is in Africa!
Doubt they went that far LOL

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found several errors in both Terry's & Hensons PA books.
both wrong Counties, & spelling errors. even personal names on occasion,
making research very hard. and making Skeptics think they are right
to be naysayers :tongue3:

Here is one of the false leads by Terry, this one is for Montana:
Storage Cave
no county listed
The natives called the mountain Nyankara and on it was a cave where the Native Americans stored gold they obtained from a mine which was close by. Not wanting the whiteman to get the stored gold they hid the cave by covering it over.
The question is, where is Nyankara? A search does show a mountain by this name, but it is in Africa!
Doubt they went that far LOL

Again. The majority , if not all Treasure stories are Based on a Truth.
People don't dream these things up 100%. not even Sci fi & horror Writers.
They all get their ideas from what they experience (hear, see) in life,
then re-interpret . they may hear the story in a saloon, over a Campfire,
Remember the names wrong if there are more then one involved
and Shuffle first & last names in the mix. (john Brown & George Blue could become John glu & George Brahn )Misspell names heard due to
strong accents. (Morgan, Morgane, Mogen,Norton) in some cases certain Towns. a treasure is buried in Franklin.
One person knows Tennessee... Must be there, another hears the town, Not the state.
but knows Franklin PA, immediately thinks there.

"Research"

Wyoming ......"Inyan-Kara" was Misspelled.

And the fact it is off Limits tells me the story is Believed by the Powers that Be.

Could this originally have been Montana Territory ? I didn't Read all.
Or could the cave Possibly be just over the Border into Montana ?

of course another thing to take into consideration.
Back when this would have happened, there was no pinpointing sites,
by saying take route 198 south 6 Mile From Jabip. and make a right. they would probably just say
south of "jabip."

so odds are if the closest mountain they could see was 10 mile away, or they started in Montana, headed towards

Inyan-Kara. found the cave and came Back & told the Tale in Montana
they still may have mentioned it as the location.

map.jpg

ik.jpg

5e789d72de2d98bc1eed7d15718884e3--scorpio-sign-taurus.jpg
"Black Hills" :coffee2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inyan_Kara_Mountain

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11 results containing “Inyan-Kara gold”

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/s...d&proxdistance=50&rows=20&searchType=advanced

1 results containing “Inyan-Kara cave”

• The Bismarck tribune. volume (Bismarck, D.T. [N.D.]), 02 Sept. 1874.
cave.jpg

The Bismarck tribune. volume (Bismarck, D.T. [N.D.]) 1873-1875, September 02, 1874, Image 6 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

2results in Montana Papers containing"Inyan-Kara"

Helena weekly herald. volume (Helena, Mont.), April 29, 1880, Page 3, Image 3

The Butte inter mountain. (Butte, Mont.), March 19, 1902, Evening, Page 10, Image 10

Search Results « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The one thing most treasure stories have is mention of terrain. In my books I add topo maps showing these places exist. The captions for them, I explain what the reader is looking at. It add a lot more to the whole story. In the past all there was were line drawings. Topo maps show alot more.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff I'd still place that story in South Dakota, even if in error! Better marketing for wall Drug. I got a couple in there too. Over 2 million tourist hit this one!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff I'd still place that story in South Dakota, even if in error! Better marketing for wall Drug. I got a couple in there too. Over 2 million tourist hit this one!

Personally if I was writing the Book,
I would make mention to it in all 3 listings.

Montana, Wyoming, & South Dakota especially Wyoming, & South Dakota
since the Cave could be anywhere in the Tri-state area

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I am done with Southeastern Montana, Wyoming coming up for the next state. But in "The Lost Treasures Of Montana Custer Country" there is plenty of coverage on everybody's favorite the elusive "lost cabin mine".

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The interesting thing about the lost Keyes placer mine location was it could be anywhere in the northern section of the state. Researching for years these brief mentions by Terry, old articles surfaced. Oddly I also learned enough years passed by that residents of the region never heard of it! There was enough for a whole book, so we came up with one called Keyes Lost Diggings. A few places carry it, the historian at the museum at Fort Benton read it and told their book store to order it. He like that someone was doing the old stuff, they didn't carry anything on the regions old days. I figured it must have been good enough if someone with a college degree liked it. Gold Prospecting has books on how to and where to, so it was time for the lost placer mine. All started with brief mention of leads by Terry and others. So I place value in what some consider vague, questionable information.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Enjoying reading some of the treasure trove files. I bought some of Terry's earlier books.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankie, can you post a picture of the book or at least give us more info so we can locate one?

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Only portions of what the library of Congress has are in 2 of Terry's early books.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Terry posted the ones that did not have enough details to find. He sought the better leads. His treasure guide series held a compilation of the leads from treasure and western magazines. Henson and J. Frank Dobie were both folklorists. A folklorist strives to repeat the stories exactly as they heard them. Dobie and Henson both sought
the better stories that they came across. A close reading of Dobie's Coronado's Children will reveal multiple contradictory versions of the same treasure story. Even people who reprinted newspaper accounts frequently got the details wrong. If they didn't you are seeking an empty hole. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to lead you to a treasure. The best you can hope for is to be told the kinds of places where others have hit. good luck, ss

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry posted the ones that did not have enough details to find. He sought the better leads. His treasure guide series held a compilation of the leads from treasure and western magazines. Henson and J. Frank Dobie were both folklorists. A folklorist strives to repeat the stories exactly as they heard them. Dobie and Henson both sought
the better stories that they came across. A close reading of Dobie's Coronado's Children will reveal multiple contradictory versions of the same treasure story. Even people who reprinted newspaper accounts frequently got the details wrong. If they didn't you are seeking an empty hole. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to lead you to a treasure. The best you can hope for is to be told the kinds of places where others have hit. good luck, ss
Actually what Terry did was boil the stories and leads down to fit as many in his books as he could. He left much out and when I moved from Wisconsin he gave me what he had left of his research materials. At that time he was working on the toy collector books of his that still appear on amazon. Terry and Penfield operated in the same fashion doing their books. We reversed the process and expanded them into a more fuller form. I have even tracked down the newspaper articles that inspired some of the leads, which I find sort of exciting. They marketed to treasure hunters, while my market is the tourist and local history markets. I just wished Mr. Terry was still alive so I could obtain the real hard to get titles. An example is the "World Treasure Atlas." But that can be recreated, an example is the thread "Treasures of the Spanish Main."

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i guess i had forgot i had these links, was trying to go
through some google files, after storm harper, wrecked
puter and office/work area, very lg limb broke window
and let about a 2ft snowdrift in, anyway...

links to pdfs and ebooks of the federal writers project american guide series
prob have to search text for keywords treasure, buried ect.
DigitalBookIndex: THE 1930s: Federal Writers' Project (20TH c U.S. HISTORY) (e-Book, eTexts, On Line Books, eDocuments)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Guide_Series#States

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Progress continues in my projects. Some article finds are interesting. Amazing the number of folks interested in this material.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, there are some he included in those books and these are behind the thread name. I knew Terry and studied his work I know where he got his info and can recreate what he had once found. There are similar letters in the National Prospectors Gazette which is being released volume 2 I believe should be of interest to some. Finnaly someone realized what I was talking about!!!!!!!

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess it is time for videos on the topic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread