United States Treasure Trove Files

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone ever heard of these? I first learned of these files kept by the government at the Library of Congress thru a book written by Thomas P. Terry. It was in one of his In Search of Treasure books, a five volume series. He took a trip to Washington D.C. and looked them over and took notes. Later he did his 10 volume United States Treasure Atlas series. From what I can recall there were letters sent in to the government by everyday people requesting assistance usually money to dig up buried treasure that they learned of. The government wasn't into treasure ventures, but kept the letters and formed the Treasure Trove Files. Question is there a way to find these thru the internet? Years ago lots of things were uploaded, did they get to these?

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you check the Library of Congress web site?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting and very intriguing line of thought there. That would make someone with a lot of research time a lot of fortune. I don't know if they were uploaded but would love to know.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago there was a free Booklet you could request from The Library of Congress.

It supposedly listed every Book, Files etc. They had which had to do with Ship Wrecks, And Land treasures.
along with their catalog Numbers.

Mainly just a reference .

Then one day some enterprising person decided to make Copies & sell them through the
Treasure Magazines. I have/Had/have :dontknow: an Early Copy somewhere.
Not sure if I kept it or Passed it on.

I know I haven't seen it since around the time I got my first Computer.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

Sample pages

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0001(1).JPG

DSCF0002(1).JPG

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
From what was posted of the book, it looks like someone compiled a listing, but this is not the individual letters that were sent into the government. If someone has any of the "In Search of Treasure" series around the story of the Treasure Trove Files is in one of them. When dealing with the files (letters) Terry quoted a few of them in his book. The books were high priced on amazon and I tried to contact Mr. Terry to see if he had any for sale and discovered on the internet that he died in 2010. I'll see what else I can turn up. These letters would be an untapped source of treasure leads never published before. So of course I want to get my hands on them, since I am working on some books about this topic. As for going online with the Library of Congress I have, but just did not discover them so far going that route. More effort might produce results. With what Mr Terry did give me prior to moving to Montana, I only have his collection of stuff dealing with Kelly's Bluff Iowa which I think would make an interesting little book in itself.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have his mass Atlas. It had the pirate ship whidia in it before it was found. It was right at the spot they said it was. So I believe most of what is in it. The books are no longer in print. I have talked to others who have looked for treasure using these books. They have gotten great starter leads from these books. Good luck

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Frankie I assume you mean the united states treasure atlas series.

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
How to get copies of maps listed?

Hi Jeff,

THANKS for posting what you found!! Yet, this publication being over 50 years old, how does one go about getting a copy of specific maps that are listed? Publishers move and go out of business, etc....seems to me like a dead end if seeking specific maps listed.....Am I wrong?

Years ago there was a free Booklet you could request from The Library of Congress.

It supposedly listed every Book, Files etc. They had which had to do with Ship Wrecks, And Land treasures.

Then one day some enterprising person decided to make Copies & sell them through the

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
There are literally 10's of thousands of leads listed here only as references. Kinda anti-climatic and quite sad.....

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I own it :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also contained maps in the collection that had the reference numbers to request a copy... for a charge of course.

It is a fav.

You would not believe how many actual "treasure maps" there are.

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Treasure Maps For Sale?

AARC,
Are you saying you have hard copies of ALL the maps for sale? Or sell them in pdf's via internet?

Also contained maps in the collection that had the reference numbers to request a copy... for a charge of course.

It is a fav.

You would not believe how many actual "treasure maps" there are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread