2-million Dollar JesseJames Treasure in the Wichita Mts, Oklahoma

M

monkeyman

2-million Dollar JesseJames Treasure in the Wichita Mt's, Oklahoma

I posted this a while back looking for more info on this.... however no one ever responded.
I was wondering if anyone thought this legend was true...or not.
If so, what evidance supports this..
Has it been found??????

Someone please give me some insite on this!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Re: 2-million Dollar JesseJames Treasure in the Wichita Mt's, Oklahoma

Monkeyman, I don't know for sure but doubtful that it's real but if it is, there's a possibility that it is connected with the KGC society. The way outlaws had to move around. I don't think that he could amass that kind of treasure in one spot without help. Too remember he didn't rob from the general population, but gave money to them in exchange for food, shelter, and fresh horses and that takes a fair chunk of change. In the meantime , get out and do your research . I truly hope you can prove me wrong. HH

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Not true! My family was friends of the gangs.My grandmother was the first person Cole Younger came to see when he came back to KC from Minn prison,before he and Frank James joined the Wild west show.I got some3 stories.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

That's great, warsawdaddy. I don't mind being proven wrong-that's how we learn. What I was saying was that's a lot to amass in one spot. I realize that they had caches stashed all over because they moved so much and didn't have ATM machies to rely on(HAHA) and back then 2 mil. in gold probably weighed in excess of 150,000 lb. based at $20 gold piece being 1 oz. and 12 troy oz. to a lb.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Hey,Stony-I didn't mean to say you were wrong about it may be connected to the KGC.I just mean't that it wasn't a Jesse James stash.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

I understand. Treasure stories start out as fact and over the years people want to add to it. By the time we read the story it's usually changed more than a river bank w/embellishments. I found a treasure in it's own right a couple years ago. Saved it from beigh thrown in the dumpster, makes for some interesting reading if you can find a copy since my understanding is there's only 1000 copies published. It's the autobiograhy of Cole Younger authored by "Myself". Published out of Texas from memoirs(sp) that his family found.

OP
OP
M

monkeyman

This treasure story came from the Steve Wilson, Oklahoma Treasure Tales book.
According to the story the james/younger gang robbed a group of mexicans of their 18-pack mules in lower texas by El Paso I think. ?They supposidly then headed into the wichita mt's. of Oklahoma by Lawton, OK. ?According to the story, when they entered the Wichita Mt's they encountered a blinding snowstorm and were forced to bury the gold. ?The book stated that to keep warm they burned the packs from the mules that were carrying the gold. ?The book said that years later some buckels from these packs were found in the area of the Wichita Mts wildlife refuge. ?I think the gold was in ?bullion form not coin.
Are you guys familiar with this particular story??? ? There are many storys of gold buried by the james/younger gang in the Wichita Mt's...some of which has supposidly been found according to Steve Wilsons bood.
Let me know if you recognize this story...

Thanks!!!!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Monkeyman, I'm familiar with the "Oklahoma Treasure and Treasure Tales", even have a copy at home. I live on the other side of the state and find the tale interesting reading. I will say this, if you want to search for it, by all means do so but be careful because that's still rough terrain, and I feel that it's gonna take a long time and beware of booby traps.

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004

I'm at work on my lunch break. When I get home I'll dig out my well-researched account of this cache. It was for real. Cole Younger could be seen for a couple of years riding around the countryside in a buckboard with a shovel. But, alas, the landscape had changed from wilderness to civilization. The landmarks used when it was cached had changed also, an all too common problem. The gang members had scribed their names on a copper pail to show who was entitled to a share. This pail was discovered some time ago, but the cache, supposedly, was not. There were other landmarks mentioned, which I can't recall at this time.

OP
OP
M

monkeyman

Hay, any input you could give me on this treasure would be appreaciated. I don't know when I'd have time to actually go looking for it...however I am interested in learning all I can about it!!!
Aparently Frank James bought a house in Fletcher Oklahoma shortly after his pardon and was seen on numerous occations searching the hills as well. What I can't understand is....

1.) According to Steve Wilsons book the implacation was that the treasure was buried during the winter of 1876...I think thats the right year....however the wording of the book lead me to believe that they came back at a later time and "Reburied" the treasure.
Think this is true????

2.) If a person buried a treasure of that magnatude...no matter how much the terrain had changed over the years...you'd think that they would have buried it in a spot that would be well remembered...easy to desern among the other landmarks of the surrounding area.
What of this???

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

I'd say the treasure was probably reburied and split up into several caches. As for the landmarks, the kettle was found w/ the contract . The terrain does change over time. Would the oak tree still be found today, what of the boot shaped rock? Wat of the chances that is is still sticking out of the hillside and not washed out and covered w/ silt. I mean things change over the years. Clues have been found and removed from the area. If landmarks changed exough after such a short time, then why would anyone think that another 100 yr. later things wouldn't change even more. The valuse of the gold has changed-back then it was only about 116,000 which I miscalculated because the vaue is now stated as 2 Million instead of $116,000-inflation has hit the treasure value and the story telling. You have a better chance of wandering around guessing whee the treasure is because even if you use the map listed in the book the landmarks are gone. Don't let me keep you from researching and putting the puzzle together because that's what treasure (cache hunting) is all about. Sorry gotta end this as I'm getting too tired to form coherent thought at this point. I wish you the best in your endeavor and HH.

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004

If this brings you good fortune, just remember the poor father of 5 who shared this info:

On 3/5/1876 while camping along Cache Creek in the Indian Territory that would become Oklahoma, in the vicinity of present day Cement, they debated what to do with the pack train gold, deciding to bury it, turn the burros loose and burn the pack saddles. They selected a small arroyo guarded by a lone Cottonwood tree. As a testament to those entitiled to a share, they scratched each one's name on a brass bucket that Frank and Jesse buried near the Cottonwood tree. Jesse hammered a burro shoe into the base of the Cottonwood tree as a marker. At the head of the arroyo they buried the gold. They placed rocks over the hole, which they later spread around because it didn't look natural. Six years later, following Jesse's death, with Cole Younger in prison for his part in the Northfield raid, Frank gave himself up, never stood trial, and settled on a farm two miles north of Fletcher. Since the gold was buried, there had been government land rushes that rapidly populated the once desolate area forever changing the landmarks they had used to guide themselves previously. When Younger was released, he returned to Oklahoma, settling for a while in Lawton. Frank and Cole could be seen riding around with pick and shovel, yet never found the gold. Eventually the story got around among the locals. Three locals started a search of their own, found a burro skeleton, concentrated in that area, and located a Cottonwood stump with a shoe hammered into it. They never found the gold. A later TH'er, Joe Hunter of Rush Springs, over the course of several years, had more success, though never finding the main cache either. The location of the arroyo had become known among the locals. Hunter located the same stump and searched the area, finding among other things, a pick ax, charred pack frames, and a nice cache from a lesser hold up, buried in an iron kettle. More significantly, he found the brass bucket bearing the engraved names and a crude map. Hunter died in the early 1950's. The locals could probably still find that arroyo and somebody's got that bucket.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

The problem with some of these treasure stories is that someone stumbles across an interesting item, say a rifle stuck in a tree that may be pointing a certain directon and they take it. They show it off later and someone else remembers a lead that the rifle played in. By that time no one knows just what tree it was in or the direction as they weren't paying attention. Thus the treasure, in whatever form, is still out there concealed and thus someone has a better chance of stumbling on it accidentally than if they had a waybill. If you're going to search, do it for the enjoyment of it and not because you can buy a new home, car, put kids through college, quit your job, etc. Who mknows, maybe you will find it, but don't let it eat at you in the meantime. As the History Channel says " If history doesn't live in the present, then it doesn't have a future."

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.

Cache Creek is nowhere near Cement. It is close to Apache though. The tea kettle containing the copper map was found at Buzzard's roost just outside of Cement. The "contract" bucket was found near Tarbone Mountain and the last I heard is somewhere in California.
I lived in Cement and know just about every symbol carved around there. If you want to know more you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Albert Osborn

Dec 6, 2004

It's funny that the story of the Iron door in the wichitas keeps coming
up. About 8 years ago, a fellow called me and said he had map that had
been dowsed and wanted to know if I could locate. I said sure. So, I
drove from Mississippi to the Wichita wildlife area and started to following
the signal of the L-rod which I was using at the time. We ended up on
top of a mountain. We saw no door, so I asked him if he was sure that
we were at the right spot and he said yes. Well, I am glad I didn't find
it because after I got better at map dowsing, I discovered the thing was
booby trapped, but had been retrieved. Sometimes, we just don't
understand how the Lord protects us stupid treasure hunters.
Howso

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO

Interesting thread yall have going here. Theres a hill outside of Adair, OK (where I grew up), called Jesse James Hill where there is supposedly a cache buried. I searched it when I was in high school in the late 80's and came up with absolutely nothing. Of course, I was using an old BFO Garrett Master Hunter and the hill is covered with briars and big rocks. There was what looked to be an old homestead at the bottom of the hill, then in ruins, maybe completely gone now. Anyway, I would like to go hunt that hill again now with my Minelab.

Treemaster

Nov 8, 2012
LV
Detector(s) used
White prizm III, Garrett 350, Sometimes I use None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I posted this a while back looking for more info on this.... however no one ever responded.
I was wondering if anyone thought this legend was true...or not.
If so, what evidance supports this..
Has it been found??????

Someone please give me some insite on this!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Sorry for all your dreams there is no gold there in those mountains where you are looking I myself have found the treasure of Jesse James two-million plus treasures. Check all the maps and look at all the trees on my page and you will see just how clueless you people are. check my page. By the way I gave it all away 30 years ago to people i never knew being that i was a kid when this happened.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions