Trasure... South Atlantic Island 700 mile East of Brazil "Trindade Island" ?

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Just click on them as they are live links and they will display.
From memory Captain Kid's Millions starts with an elderly sailor passing a map etc to a young man. Then there are different periods and searchers who are all related through fate and lineage. The first directions about all the stones are useless as an earthquake is found to have changed the landscape and buried them but luckily a tidal wave uncovers one marked stone under which treasure is found. This then gets moved and the next person finds it by decoding the message in the writing around the map that says it's in the waterfall.

It's been awhile since I read it.

Last edited:

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whiteā€˜s Sierra Madre
Whiteā€˜s TMā€“600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I do not doubt there is buried pirate treasure. Piracy was a business. The shipowner, the captain and crews all got a cut. If a captain didnā€™t bring in the business he would be replaced by somebody who would. A smart Captain would set aside some goodies but most did not. If you look how most pirate careers ended they were surprised by warships and usually were too drunk to fight. Movies and books give the impression of pirate treasures buried all over. Similarly, some T Net threads would lead you to believe thereā€™s a Spanish treasure buried nearby you practically everywhere in the US. They arenā€™t. As for this island, there COULD be something buried there. But why would bury it there? 700 miles from anywhere

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Samanthy

In answer to some of your questions.

The Golden Age of Piracy. ... Thousands of pirates were active between 1650 and 1720, and these years are sometimes known as the 'Golden Age' of piracy. Famous pirates from this period include Henry Morgan, William 'Captain' Kidd, 'Calico' Jack Rackham, Bartholomew Roberts and the fearsome Blackbeard (Edward Teach). When people think about pirates they think in the context of this time frame. Most of the fanciful romantic image of pirate comes from that time period.

Between 1814 and 1838 there was a mini golden age of piracy. Was more squalid affair. However the mini golden age of piracy was little different to the Golden age of piracy. 1814 -1838 was less structured. More violent and less involvement with ship owners. Other than disaffected privateers straying into piracy. Life and conditions was so appalling for average sailor at time. Many sailor mutinied against their captains and stole the ship. Generally there was no structured agreement other than share what ever they stole. Another even among-st the pirates you said your self there was shifting loyalties. I agree with you a captain if he did not perform then he was replaced. The biggest fear and deterrent is to end up on gallows. Most pickings during this time period was rather not so much great galleons from Spanish Gold fleets but small semi impoverished merchant men of all flags. Some times captured cargo was much harder to Fence ...to sell. So having depository hidden away to sailors the further away from authorities the better. That is why remote places had their uses.

And of course I agree will you totally there are many treasure stories that are just lore. Its human nature is it not to love a good yarn. And what kid who love to hear having a treasure yarn in their town to dream for?

Another factor why would pirates constantly on the run would bury any treasure at all? Simply if you walked into a bar wanting to buy drinks offering to pay with it Golden chalice or artifacts taken from church like in the pictures below. Your going to get busted and end up on the end of a hangman's rope. wages was pitifully low if a sailor turns up with 10 years worth of wages its going to raise suspicion is it not? So the concept of hiding caches even with criminals today such as drug lords is not a new one. That said in the end very few of pirates ever really profited long term form their life of crime.

national-stolen-art-file (3).jpg

national-stolen-art-file (5).jpg

Kanacki

Last edited:

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whiteā€˜s Sierra Madre
Whiteā€˜s TMā€“600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I understand the need for caches. But there is also the matter of convenience. Trindade has little water, no other resources and is 700 miles from the mainland of Brazil. How many days just to sail that? 7 days? 14 days round trip? And probably longer depending on where you are going!

Last edited:

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
The place just became involved as it (sort of) matched the shape of 'the island' shown on copies of a map getting around since the late 18th century. It was one of a number of number of islands searched, all looking for the same treasure. The give away is when you orient all the different islands searched the 'treasure spot' is at the same relative location on each. I posted an image before showing three of the more well known Atlantic Ocean islands where this occurred: Oak Island, Isle Haute and Trinidade Island. There are a number of other islands or locations on the Atlantic seaboard but these are fairly obscure or forgotten about.

The other giveaway is the story attached with each location always starts with 'a sailor/ex pirate/captain/Billy bones died and left a treasure map for the hoard': a copy of the same map then appears.

I have a copy of the original map which started it all that was published in 1934 as part of an 'armchair hunt'. From what I could find out it was of Spanish origin and does lead to a real cache IF you can work out which island it was for which is why all the different islands were searched.

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Samanthy

Travel times depend on current wind and waves I have been fortunate in life to have experienced the freedom of the seas. Being a skipper in my own right that sailed the world. For sailors the distance of 700 miles are not really an issue because 700 miles is out of prying eyes of coastal traffic.

Freeman I wish you best with yor interesting research.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Samanthy

I grew up in New Guinea. My first experience sailing was catamarans. In 1966 at the age of 16 I bought a small timber sail boat that once owned by a Dutchman. Who had sailed this tiny sailboat all the way to New Guinea from Holland. It was in poor condition. Took me year to get seaworthy. And few years to master her. She was called " geest van de wind " meaning "
Spirit of the wind" in English.

It was a single masted sailing boat with a twin keel so in places of low tide she could sit upright on her keel. She had a fore and aft sail. a cabin in the bow with hatch above, a small hand pump toilet shower compartment. A small galley with gas cooking stove, ice box and a galley dining table that folded down into a small double bed. just under the entrance hatchway there was radio and small chart table opposite. More than two people the yacht was cramped. the open bridge was at the rear. She was steered by a tiller. yet there was controls for a small inboard low horse power Perkings diesel engine. The seats on the sides of the cockpit either sat over fuel water tanks while your feet rested on a floor with hatch over the small engine.

Now this was a step up to sailing something like a caravan with sails around it. But it did teach me a lot about sailing. First I used to only sail it during the day around the bay of the caldera Rabaul sits on. I really learned about fickle winds tides and currents back then. I learned to tack and to navigate. From there over years in between marrying having a family working in the mining game I got my general mariners cert, then Bosun, mate then finally skipper. Did a sailing training run of "Start of India" A Museum ship, had some small very short stints "Eye of Wind" ,"Pelican" and Picton castle each was labour intensive. learned a lot about teamwork.

Eventually buying my own Brigantine Drumbeat in 2000 sailed it around the world and Pacific. The longest cruise was around the Pacific we lived on it about 11 months. And finally bought a schooner in 2014 "Ocean Child". Technically I am retired but......Both are now passed onto my two oldest sons. Ones operating in Indonesia and other in Thailand. The Drumbeat was built for North Atlantic and built very tough with 5 bulkheads.Able traverse all oceans. The Schooner "Ocean Child" is more twitchy in Handing. More ideal coast inter island hoping.

I am hoping to sail again as my Son a skipper himself of the "Ocean child" has been exploring hidden uninhabited islands in Indonesia very few ever to get see. You can see her lost in middle of harbour of an amazing remote uninhabited island below.

hidden place two.JPG

Kanacki

Last edited:

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whiteā€˜s Sierra Madre
Whiteā€˜s TMā€“600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The twin keel was a smart idea. Speaking of Indonesia, that would be a very good place to hunt for pirate treasures!

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The twin keel was a smart idea. Speaking of Indonesia, that would be a very good place to hunt for pirate treasures!

Indonesia has a long history of piracy. Even today piracy still exists in some parts of archipelago. With such a large impoverished population looting of historical artifacts is rife. Even if you get a deal with government there they are notorious corrupt. And have known to renege on any such deals. To operate there you have to partner in Indonesian company. Here is basic rundown of obtaining an agreement.

GOVERNMENT RULES & REGULATIONS

In Indonesia acquiring a land treasure hunting or shipwreck survey and salvage permit involves 17 different Government Officials from 13 different Government Departments and ultimately the permit is issued by the Government Department.

1. APPLICATION FEES required.

2. SHARING AGREEMENT:
Fifty/Fifty (50/50) without deducting any project cost (due to complaints by several foreign salvage groups this agreement is currently under revision whereby the project cost will be deducted before the 50/50 split. Or, there is even a rumor that the sharing will be changed to 60/40 (60 for the salvage company/40 for the Indonesian Government) as this would make it more fair to the Treasure Hunting or salvage companies.

LICENSING PROCEDURE:
a) Survey Permit - Officially they say you can receive this after 21 days but realistically can take up to six (6) or eight (8) weeks to receive (see details below) and is valid for up to three months. It is renewable. Any company who wishes to treasure hunting or salvage a shipwreck must first be issued a Survey Permit. The Survey Permit allows the company to first visit the site and take photos and retrieve one or two samples only. Only after this process has been completed is the only time a treasure hunting or Salvage Permit can be applied for.

INDONESIAN PARTNER COMPANY:
As with most SEA countries, no foreign company can work in Indonesia without having an Indonesian Partner Company. All licenses issued in Indonesia are only in the name of the local company. All documentation is also in Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian language).

FOREIGNERS:
All foreigners who want to visit the work site and actually participate in offshore operations MUST also apply for their KITAS (work) Visas. This process takes up to ten (10) days and can be done anytime (yes, since they actually take your passport you must be physically there in Indonesia during this process). The cost is Rp6,000,000 (approx. US$600) each for a six (6) months multiple-entry KITAS Visa. Please Note that once you have a KITAS Visa stamp in your passport that you must now pay EXIT TAXES of US$250 EVERY TIME you exit Indonesia after that.

WORK SEASON:
The best time to work in Indonesia is between March and September when the weather is calm and it is NOT monsoon season. However, if you have a large vessel and/or are working in a sheltered and/or protected area you may be able to work even through monsoon season.

However laws a many of changed since then as UNESCO has been pushing hard to get them to sign the agreement.

Kanacki

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found Pirate Zulmiro registre on the curitiba Cemitery.

After 15 years of research, i've found Pirate Zulmiro in Curitiba, his death register on the city cemitery. He was hidding here using the name ( Joao Francisco Inglez) i just found him, because the letters i've found in the newspapper "Jornal do Brasil " from 1896, That was wrote by the Englishman who became friend of the Pirate Zulmiro.

Pirate Zulmiro died at age 90 in august, 24, 1889.

He was born in Cork in the year 1798, and based on the information of the letters, i've found Him At Eton College, in the year 1811, his true name was Francis Hodder.

Check my new book " The Real Treasure Island, the chronicles of Pirate Zulmiro " there is a website - www.therealtreasureisland.com

QUOTE=KANACKI;6208936]Hello Freeman

The problem I have with is no real Provence with the map. I am not trusting of claims the map was found in 1852 and allegedly found in India. We trawled through records in India and London shipping records of crew lists. Death records plus newspaper obituaries. And records going back to between 1848 and 1852's where is was compulsory to record deaths of crew members. Nothing..... So the map may not be as old as many claimed. The map versions as far as I am aware appeared in the Brazilian papers in the late 1940's

The alleged original document written by the alleged pirate "Zulmiro" giving the details of the treasure and location below.

The treasure is hidden in an island called Trindade 647 miles off the coast of Brazil, in two distinct places: in the former there is gold in powder, in bars, in coins of several countries, as well as precious stones of great value. The value of this deposit can be estimated at 5 million pounds. The other deposit, although larger, is not so valuable and consists of artistic works in gold and silver, as well as 63 bars of massive silver, with dimensions of 6x2x4 inches, the result of many years of piracy. The richest deposit is near the waterfall. On the left side of this, 3 feet from the large stone, the second stone is at an angle of 32 to the southwest, there is a closed cavity, but it can be easily opened, in which are 19 volumes of great value and different sizes.

Another deposit is in the south bay, on the eastern end of the island to the north side of the sugar loaf, under the central stone of the five existing there. The waterfall is situated on the south side of the island, about 2.5 from the West end within walking distance of the beach. It is easy to find because it is below a depression in the mountain range that forms the bottom of the landscape, facing the best place to merge on the south side, despite being exposed to all the winds that blow from there. In the bay of the extreme south, a schooner finds an anchorage, even near the beach, at any time, with little work and some skill, to run aground its boats. There is a canal near the sugar loaf, which is distinguished from a rocky culmination that passes between this and 2 islands of stones on the side of the sugar loaf. There are 5 large stones marking the treasure that are above the entrance of the cave, which is 5 degrees and 30 minutes northwest of the sugar loaf. When sighting the island of the South a depression in the mountain chain easily attracts the attention and, in the mouth of the stream, a boat can be safely run aground.

The 19 volumes consist of: 11 barrels filled with coins, 2 large open boxes containing 81 small gold bars, 1 watch case full of jewels, 12 sealed leaden bags containing precious stones, 1 tea box full of disassembled jewelry and 2 boxes of leaves full of gold dust. As for the other deposit the hiding place is situated inside the grotto, and consists of 3 large rooms cut in the hard ground and crossing the grotto; to the course of 5 degrees and 30 minutes to the northwest and in the distance of 300 yards are the 5 stones, of which the central one rests on the other 4 and form a quarter of 3 sides. The entrance is on the west side, and all volumes of large size are hidden in the barn, piled one upon the other into barrels, barrels, boxes, and coffins, which occupy almost every room. Its artistic value is incalculable, its intrinsic value being about 3,000,000 pounds.

In a round can there are depository documents that are valuable only to their rightful owners and who currently avail themselves of the Bank of England. The treasure will not be found without this description. Its artistic value is incalculable, its intrinsic value being about 3,000,000 pounds. In a round can there are depository documents that are valuable only to their rightful owners and who currently avail themselves of the Bank of England. The treasure will not be found without this description. Its artistic value is incalculable, its intrinsic value being about 3,000,000 pounds. In a round can there are depository documents that are valuable only to their rightful owners and who currently avail themselves of the Bank of England. The treasure will not be found without this description.

in 1949, the Belgian engineer who lives in Brazil, Paul Ferdinand Thiry came along became obsessed with story , after much research the subject, allegedly deciphered one of the marking on the map drawing and said that there indicated island was Ilhabela located on the north coast of the State of SĆ£o Paulo. He reworked maps adding calculation and directions adding up the treasure being on Ilhabela below.

View attachment 1720221

After obtaining the support of the Brazilian Navy , Thiry went to Ilhabela and began the field research in the area known as Saco do Sombrio . Between comings and goings, Thiry persevered for thirty years in search of the hiding place of the treasure. Thus the alleged claims of buried treasure reveled in 1880's went from Trindade Island to Ilhabela in 20th century thus transferring the treasure legend from one location to another.

E F Knight did not know the exact details of the alleged treasure so he invented his own. Thus we have treasure from Peru.

Like with many treasure legends too many later people added things as so called "fact" to this taking the entire story out of proportion from the earliest claims to what we have to day accumulating in that silly TV show snake island.

Kanacki[/QUOTE]

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Marco Juliano

Welcome to Treasurenet:

Care to elaborate more?

The problems I have with your Hypothisis is there are other researchers who came up with an entirely different name? That name was the one written on book belonging to Zulmiro. That person was stationed in Bermuda and is also in Eton collage book.

Secondly There is no proof that treasure was taken in 1821 from any of churches in Lima. And the alleged The treasure is hidden in an island called Trindade was accumulated over several years. As inferred by the description of treasure buried by Zulmiro.

Finally the Fling Send name was reported with different spelling in English newspapers at the time. Zulmiro had drifted between slaving for the Brasil slave trade and and outright piracy until he was captured by a British warship in the South Atlantic. The legal case fell apart and he was and other crew repatriated by British back to Brazil. Admiral Keppel was given the task but identified Zulmiro as the former assisted surgeon stationed in Bermuda. Keppel was a junior officer first posted there. A hulked hospital ship where he met Zulmiro working as an assistant surgeon.

Kanacki

Last edited:

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanachi,

Letters were discovered written to a Brazilian Journal in 1896 by an English citizen who met Pirate Zulmiro here in the city of Curitiba in the year 1880, it was for this citizen that the pirate gave the script of how to find the treasure you wrote.

In these letters the Pirate Zulmiro says that they were two hidden treasure deposits on the Trindad Island, a deposit according to the treasure map that was delivered by the Russian pirate in 1850 in India, and with this map were made the English expeditions, where it occurred the great landslide right over where the treasure was hidden.

In this deposit are the golden objects of art of the cathedral of Lima, and in the other deposit inside the island are the fruits of the looting.

Zulmiro in the letters never said he was a slave trader, he said he became a pirate after accidentally killing another officer in Bermuda and deserting him in order not to face court martial.

He boarded a slave ship and after 8 months rioted and killed the ship's captain, abandoned his real name and adopted the name of Zulmiro, and came to the South Atlantic to be a pirate.

He said there were 3 pirate captains in his pack, he, the Russian pirate Zarolho, and the Spanish pirate Jose Sancho.

Zulmiro said that Jose Sancho died with his ship sunk by the Spanish, and pirate Zarolho was captured and hanged in Havana, Zulmiro did not know that pirate Zarolho managed to escape and died in India in 1850, and before dying handed the map of Treasure hidden on Trindad Island, it was the Zarolho that mentioned that the treasure that was in the map deposit was the treasure that was stolen when coming from Lima to Spain.

Zulmiro only confirmed the story of the pirate Zarolho, as he said that in the beachside deposit were works of art in gold.

Zulmiro was a Royal Navy officer, he never said he was a Surgeon and he was captured by an English Royal Navy ship around 1830/1831 and Keppel was the commander and friend of the Pirate when Zulmiro was Royal Navy officer, and Keppel simulated Zulmiro's escape here on the southern coast of Brazil and Zulmiro came to hide in my city, Curitiba.

I discovered that Henry Keppel was an officer at H.M.S Magicienne in 1831 stationed in the port of Rio de Janeiro, I believe it was during this time that he captured the Zulmiro Ship and simulated his escape here on the southern coast of Brazil.

All this is described in the letters written in 1896 by the English citizen Edwrad Young Stammers, who was murdered in Rio de Janeiro a month after writing the last letter to the newspaper, because he said he had the treasure script and thieves tried to steal the script and eventually shot him in the chest.

Based on these letters I was able to locate Pirate Zulmiro here in Curitiba, he died on August 24, 1889, at the age of 90, and here he used the name Joao Francisco Inglez.

Based on the letters I was able to locate him in the Eton College student record, his real name was Francis Hodder and he studied at Eton from 1811 to 1814.

I also got a story that was published in 1896 by Jaime Batalha Reis, who was a consul of Portugal in Newcastle in 1882 and he knew all the details of the English expeditions and the whole history of the treasure map, and it confirms the story of the Russian pirate who died in india in 1850 and handed over the map before he died.

I also discovered that Pirate Zulmiro left children here in Curitiba and was able to locate his great-great-grandchildren.

Take a look at the website of the book I just launched, it's 15 years of research to solve this puzzle.

www.therealtreasureisland.com

Hello Marco Juliano

Welcome to Treasurenet:

Care to elaborate more?

The problems I have with your Hypothisis is there are other researchers who came up with an entirely different name? That name was the one written on book belonging to Zulmiro. That person was stationed in Bermuda and is also in Eton collage book.

Secondly There is no proof that treasure was taken in 1821 from any of churches in Lima. And the alleged The treasure is hidden in an island called Trindade was accumulated over several years. As inferred by the description of treasure buried by Zulmiro.

Finally the Fling Send name was reported with different spelling in English newspapers at the time. Zulmiro had drifted between slaving for the Brasil slave trade and and outright piracy until he was captured by a British warship in the South Atlantic. The legal case fell apart and he was and other crew repatriated by British back to Brazil. Admiral Keppel was given the task but identified Zulmiro as the former assisted surgeon stationed in Bermuda. Keppel was a junior officer first posted there. A hulked hospital ship where he met Zulmiro working as an assistant surgeon.

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Marco Juliano

I will enjoy reading your book.

in answer to your comments below.

I discovered that Henry Keppel was an officer at H.M.S Magicienne in 1831 stationed in the port of Rio de Janeiro,

Did you ever find an official record of H.M.S Magicienne in 1831 actually visiting Rio de Janeiro?

I personally could never come to that conclusion. Although Henry Keppel did transfer to H.M.S Magicienne in 1831 but the vessel was stationed in Asia not Brazil.

You can see for yourself below. He was on the HMS Magicienne from between 20th July 1831 to 18 of January 1833.

6D3E69AF-1CF8-4E23-A9C5-91E023175C38.jpg

Below you quoted....

I also got a story that was published in 1896 by Jaime Batalha Reis.

Is that a version of the alleged Captain John Painter version of him meeting this alleged Russian dying pirate Zarolho in India in 1850? Were you able to firm any record of this mans death in India.

Did you ever see the name on the book belonging to Zulmiro dated 1842. That name was also in the Eton collage records. Also that name was recorded in naval records for Bermuda. There is a claim for the possessions of this man as he allegedly died in 1829. He was born in Cork and exact age as Zulmiro.

While the story is by all means interesting and intriguing but full of questions unanswered. Thanking you in advance.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can see navy history of the HMS Magicienne was a fifth rate frigate built in 1812 and broken up in 1845

This, the second ship to carry the name HMS Magicienne, was a fifth rate, 36-gun, ship.Built by List of Fishbourne, launched 08-Aug-1812,145ft long, 38ft 6in, wide and of 949 tons builders measurement.
Completed Nov-1831 as a 6th rate, 24-gun, ship.Broken up Mar-1845. Here is a painting of it below.

pw8015.jpg

During the Napoleonic War Daniel List, a local shipwright, successfully carried out shipbuilding at Binstead, I o W, for the Royal Navy, comprising three 36-gun frigates - HMS Magicienne in 1812, and HMS Tagus and HMS Tiber in 1813.

You will find the following reference.

The opium clippers, Basil Lubbock, 1933

p110
This famous man-of-war, a general favourite with both officers and men in her day, was built in 1812 in a merchants' yard as a 46-gun frigate armed with 32-pounders.

In 1831 she was cut down - or razed, as it was called - from a 46-gun frigate into a 24-gun corvette. This
was done in Woolwich Dockyard by the well-known master shipwright, Oliver Lang, on a plan of his own
which was so successful that the Magicienne became the talk of the Navy, not only for her sailing powers,
but her seaworthiness and internal comfort.

So in early 1831 she was in Woolwich Dockyard not on Brazil station from July she was on station in Far east china and Indian ocean not the East America station.

So what is claimed is not totally verified. Unless you have found an interesting document other than claims in any newspaper article?

Kanacki

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanacki,

It is a great honor for me to be able to talk to someone who has deep knowledge on the subject.

Thank you in advance.

About H.M.S Magicienne:

I was able to locate in the Naval Database all the ship's logbook, and when it was transferred in July 1831 to the Royal Navy base in the East Indies.

12 Nov 1831 departed Portsmouth for Rio Janeiro and East Indies.

See this link: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~pbtyc/18-1900/M/02824.html

Henry Keppel was aboard this ship as First Lieutenant, and Pirate Zulmiro said he was captured 19 days after making the last deposit on Trinidad Island while in the South Atlantic Ocean.

I believe in this time window 1831 when H.M.S Magicienne was in Rio de Janeiro, that the Zulmiro ship was captured and his escape was simulated on the southern coast of Brazil.

Here is also an 1831 book that shows that H.M.S Magicienne stopped earlier in Rio de Janeiro and then went to the East Indies base:

https://books.google.com.br/books?i...q=h.m.s magiciene 1831 Rio de Janeiro&f=false

Jaime Batalha Reis's report published in a Brazilian newspaper of 1896, talks about the 1st English expedition to the island of Trindade in 1880, with the map delivered by the pirate Russian, talks about the 2nd English expedition made in 1885, led by mr. Victor de Hamel, and on the 3rd English expedition in 1889, led by mr. Frederick Edward Knight, and in this report he tells details that he personally heard from the time when he was a consul of Portugal in Newcastle between 1882 and 1886.

It confirms the story of the Russian Pirate who died in India and handed over the map, and it is also worth reading the book "The Cruise of Alert" from the last expedition of 1889, written by Edward Frederick Knight.

I have a picture of the book with Zulmiro's signature dated 1842, I even showed it to a paleographer and she identified the letter F. and the beginning of a capital H letter.

It goes by the name of Francis Hodder that I located in the Eton College student book, which was born in Cork, and the family was large on several properties, according to the pirate Zulmiro himself, who spoke in letters published in 1896.

This story is incredible and as you said, full of gaps, but gradually we fill it.

In the book I wrote I put all the information from the letters that were written in 1896 in which Pirate Zulmiro tells all his story, and I also put the documents found in the book.

Best Regards

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Marco Juliano.

Thank you for the compliment but the pleasure is all mine. You have done some interesting research.

Thank you for update it does indeed appears that the H.M.S Magicienne visited Rio de Janeiro on its was way to the far east.

Have you found any documents to confirm that H.M.S Magicienne captured pirates in the Atlantic? I could not find confirmation that H.M.S Magicienne was actually involved in the capture itself? But suspected that H.M.S Magicienne transported some of Brazilian Portuguese pirates back to Brazil. During that transportation on H.M.S Magicienne that was heading to Rio recognized Zulmiro?

I have newspaper account of a capture of pirates in the 1831 time frame. See below you might find interesting...HMS Falcon captured pirates off Ascension island in May 1831. Could Zulmiro been one of those pirates captured?

Sydney Herald nsw Monday 2 May 1831, page 4 capture of a pirate off ascention.jpg

Thanking you again in advance.

Kanacki

Marcos Juliano

Dec 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanacki

Thank you for partnering in the investigation of this true pirate puzzle.

Very nice finding this H.M.S Falcon that captured the pirates.

I also could not find any document showing that H.M.S Magicienne captured pirates and even that pirate escape occurred in southern Brazil.

I will put below an excerpt from the book I wrote, which was based on the letters written by the English citizen, Edward Young Stammers who met the Pirate Zulmiro in 1880 here in my city, Curitiba.

Capa InglĆŖs.jpeg

See what Pirate Zulmiro told about this episode:

The oath

Pirate Zulmiro told Edward that they were pursued by a British war ship once. They were in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and the pursuit lasted several days. Zulmiro was close to escaping, when they were captured by Keppel, the great ship commander, who sank his boat and imprisoned Zulmiro and some sailors who had survived.

Zulmiro was chained and felt the natural fear a criminal has when faced with the possibility of death.

He begged to be heard by Commander Keppel, based on their common heritage, and he confessed he was a British pirate and not a Greek pirate as everyone, including his shipā€™s crew, had thought.

When Commander Keppel learned the pirate he had captured was British, he went to the shipā€™s hold to examine the story closer.

Zulmiro sought by all means to catch the commanderā€™s attention and gain his sympathy, by speaking only in English and reminding him of the facts that bound them, as they had been great friends in the past, at the time when Zulmiro was an officer in the British Royal Navy.

When Commander Keppel recognized the pirate, he became deranged and wanted to kill Zulmiro with his bare hands.
Keppel said he should have blown Zulmiroā€™s ship to smithereens, and Zulmiro should have died at that very instant. After some time, when he was calmer, he called Zulmiro a coward and a traitor, and said he would be hanged with his sailors.

On the following day, Zulmiro was taken to Commander Keppelā€™s cabin and freed from his chains.

After being silent for a long time and staring at his friend, who had become a pirate, Keppel asked Zulmiro if he still knew how to swim like he did when they used to go swimming in the Thames River.

Zulmiro did not answer and kept quiet. Keppel told Zulmiro to listen carefully to the information he was about to give him, as he would simulate his friendā€™s escape.

Keppel was upset when he saw what Zulmiro had become, but he would not be the executioner who punished his old mateā€™s crimes. Zulmiro nodded his head, and Keppel explained his plan.

That night, he would maneuver to approach the Brazilian shore, and, at daybreak, he would disembark with the excuse of wanting to know where the pirate has hidden his treasure, and he would take Zulmiro with him.

Once they arrived on the beach, they would go into the woods, and Zulmiro would have half an hour to escape inside the continent.
After this, Keppel would call his crew and, pretending to be very upset, he would order his crew to go after the runaway criminal.

At that moment, Keppel told Zulmiro to listen carefully. He was supposed to head to the backwoods of the continent, where he should live far from the civilized world and towns. He should never go to the sea, the miserable stage of the horrific scenes in of his pirate life.

Pirate Zulmiro swore to Commander Keppel he would do that, and, on the following day everything went according to their plan.

When the two parted, Keppel gave Zulmiro fifty pounds so he would not starve, along with the four small books the pirate took with him, with which he tried to ease the loneliness of his days.

It took pirate Zulmiro nine days to climb the mountain and arrive at that place where he was able to buy his shed. He remained there, living in isolation and with no contact with residents in the town of Curitiba.

Henry Keppel was 1st Lieutenant at this time, already a shipboard officer.

I believe that Edward Young, who wrote these letters 16 years after the meeting with Pirate Zulmiro, may have added some information to the pirate's account, which he remembered, as Keppel was not the ship's captain, but as an officer. on board the ship had command voice too.

The interesting thing was that I was able to locate the Pirate here in Curitiba, and all dates match, he was 81 years old in 1880 and died at 90 years old in 1889.

And this English immigrant (Pirata Zulmiro) who lived up to 90 years here in Curitiba, is not registered in the Brazilian immigration books.

Here in town he was known as the old Englishman who lived in the woods.

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Marco Juliano

Very interesting did you ever discover the identity of the Spanish pirate Jose Sancho?

My apologies in advance I live on an a remote island in the middle of the pacific ocean and my internet will be down for much needed maintenance. But I will like to continue this interesting conversation... I have some things too....

There is another newspaper article you might be interested in dated 1832. A pirate ship captured by a french frigate.

Hobart Town Courier Tasmania, Friday 21 September 1832, page 3 pirate captured 17 pirates execut.jpg

Hobart Town Courier Tasmania, Friday 21 September 1832, page 3 pirate captured 17 pirates execut.jpg

Hobart town courier dated Friday September 1832 ran a story of 17 pirates being executed in Cuba they was captured off the coast of Africa by a French frigate.

Spanish pirate Jose Sancho?

Kanacki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions