South East Pennsylvania Revolutionary war sites

squirrelcop

Greenie
May 3, 2008
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 & Whites bulls eye 2
I wish I could go check these sites, but if I can't, I hope someone can.

I was looking for civil war railroad maps and I stumbled across this "Reconnaissance map" that is truly fascinating! It shows numerous emplacments and batterys that are on private land. Most interesting to me was the location marked: "Point where British crossed, in force, by temporary bridge of trees and rails"

I believe that this location is here:

39°52'19.3"N 75°35'46.9"W

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...x0!7e2!8m2!3d39.8720231!4d-75.5963524!5m1!1e4
map.jpg crossing.jpg

I think this area would pour out revolutionary war artifacts!

The original map:
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3822b.cw0320600/?r=0.148,1.233,0.755,0.38,0

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool! I wish I was closer to PA, would be interesting to check out.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea. Someo brandywine 1.jpg brandywine 2.png ne beat you to it. On the east side of Brandywine Creek, is a museum and conservancy center. Directly across the creek is an old railroad station converted to a small mall and business center. The surrounding acreage is posted. Google Earth.

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go right through there once a month for my job will be heading that way in next couple of days gonna check it out always have a detector with me when I know I am going certain places

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep sadly they will let museums and other businesses tear it up.
but swing a detector and the will arrest you :(

Good Luck with the surrounding Neighbors.
Most have been asked a Hundred times too many by now

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug the battlefield many times back in the 80's. I'm an old cat. While there are still a few farms and private properties in the area, they are in the peripheral areas of the used areas. I had permission for three places. First place found nothing, it had already been hit. 2nd place was a new then development and I found a piece of lead. Third place was more productive and found a lot of artifacts. It is now under houses. These days my digging buddies and I are hitting colonial homes that haven't stood for over 150 years and are doing well that way. The soil at the Brandywine eats pewter, so finding a regimental button is probably not going to happen.

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have been moving a lot of dirt down that way lately a long stretch of the road being revamped and seemed to look like new roads on/off ramps it was nighttime kinda hard to tell

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread