Real Treasure Leads?

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I had often thought of doing a post about these lost treasure leads. There are many and some are used over and over again in books and on internet web pages. Generally, they come from two main authors, but if you’re into lost treasure stories you most likely already know that. Even this section on treasure leads asks “no copyrighted material.” One can used the look inside feature on amazon to check some of the books out. I myself have found a couple examples of older authors material in them, so I know their books hold nothing new except a disappointment once they arrive.
It is no wonder so many believe the treasure stories are total B.S.! Their correct and it shows they have only read what is most commonly out there. I received two books from a member here and one was Karl Von Mueller’s book reviews and I found it great. He talked of rewrite artists who took others work and embellished it and so it became another story and in time several stories. He told of a woman in New Jersey who wrote lost treasure stories and they were published in magazines and later writers grabbed and reused hers. She never left her apartment! Myself I have found errors in one author’s book and the same error in another authors book. I looked for the publisher on the internet and could find no trace of them.
Karl Von Mueller gave some good advice when he said “forget the big ones, go for the smaller ones.” Jeff posts newspaper clippings down in the Treasurenet by location section. With the articles included is the old newspaper it is from. Anyone can do this, get away from those older books you probably have read several times by now. You just might uncover a lead close-by that no one has ever searched for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Undiscovered leads number into the thousands and are waiting to be found. An example is the South Dakota one in treasure legends on the Narcelle farm having their caches washed away in a flood, further down stream another man lost $45,000.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Been pretty busy in real life, but have studied the leads by one author and believe there is a connection to a later work.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
A flood of material and much is treasure found. I might back track these to their source, or at least try.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Tiredman and Alaska seeker

First of all I applaud both your efforts in posting such stories and can fully understand the frustration when it seems no one is interested.

It is rare breed of people who take time and effort researching passionately into treasure legends. For most others its a little keyboard entertainment fantasizing about searching for treasure they will never make or attempt do life's commitments or the will to make any effort. The sad thing is many people are prisoners of their lives and afraid to go out of their comfort zones.

While some may think that is criticism I beg to differ as many people over the years have become obsessed with such treasure legends and lost everything. For those daring to seek many will fail for one reason or another. But for the few that travel that very long hard road some times indeed fortune seeks the brave.

Kanacki

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have a lot to do with people unable or unwilling to travel long distances to chase down what could be a fairy tale. If I read a story for my local area, sure, I'd spend a lot of time and even a little money to try and verify or refute the story in order to make an attempt.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have a lot to do with people unable or unwilling to travel long distances to chase down what could be a fairy tale. If I read a story for my local area, sure, I'd spend a lot of time and even a little money to try and verify or refute the story in order to make an attempt.

Yes very true! Searching close to home is the best way to learn how to research and plan a cache hunt and/or places of interest to metal detect. Every town had a miser or that mysterious disappearance of valuables for whatever reason. Zig-zagging around the country and flying by the seat of your pants chasing the treasure stories doesn't work and costs lots of money for the amateur. If I'm interested in a treasure story no matter where it is, I pull all the info I can and use my dowsing method to research, then proceed from there.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
hahahaha, guess how much validity I put in those same stories recycled since the mag started in the 60s?

Now it doesn't matter if the story is true or not really. We take the old stories and research their histories. Basically a study of the history of the stories. Add back ground local history. We end up with lost treasure/local history/ old west. The old west market is pretty good. Imagine these old stories in a book and when the book sells I get the royalty.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now it doesn't matter if the story is true or not really. We take the old stories and research their histories. Basically a study of the history of the stories. Add back ground local history. We end up with lost treasure/local history/ old west. The old west market is pretty good. Imagine these old stories in a book and when the book sells I get the royalty.

Those stories have no truth. Most were invented to sell publications. Most are the same story with a change of location. I have looked at a lot of them over time and dates, locations, names do not match up to reality. There are true treasure leads available in every town but they arent published in magazines. You only find them doing the real research.

Publishing a book of false treasure stories isnt likely to garner much readership

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 92 yo grandmother dropped a quarter in a sewer grate when she was a kid.

Now the story is ...

"An eccentric lady tells childhood tale of sewers full of silver".

:P

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had often thought of doing a post about these lost treasure leads. There are many and some are used over and over again in books and on internet web pages. Generally, they come from two main authors, but if you’re into lost treasure stories you most likely already know that. Even this section on treasure leads asks “no copyrighted material.” One can used the look inside feature on amazon to check some of the books out. I myself have found a couple examples of older authors material in them, so I know their books hold nothing new except a disappointment once they arrive.
It is no wonder so many believe the treasure stories are total B.S.! Their correct and it shows they have only read what is most commonly out there. I received two books from a member here and one was Karl Von Mueller’s book reviews and I found it great. He talked of rewrite artists who took others work and embellished it and so it became another story and in time several stories. He told of a woman in New Jersey who wrote lost treasure stories and they were published in magazines and later writers grabbed and reused hers. She never left her apartment! Myself I have found errors in one author’s book and the same error in another authors book. I looked for the publisher on the internet and could find no trace of them.
Karl Von Mueller gave some good advice when he said “forget the big ones, go for the smaller ones.” Jeff posts newspaper clippings down in the Treasurenet by location section. With the articles included is the old newspaper it is from. Anyone can do this, get away from those older books you probably have read several times by now. You just might uncover a lead close-by that no one has ever searched for.

Nearby leads....
Some one who outranked me by age and experience and recoveries inspired digging into leads harder.
Much more time digging/chasing/fleshing out leads than any recovery attempts.
Worth noting was that he had competition that was a near equal match in one particular lead and eventual site.
That was interesting.
Both made recoveries near the same time. That'd fierce competition. And kind of unusual timing....

That same individual was decades ahead of me on leads to sites. And there were other individuals seeking legitimate leads as well all along.
Two sites were stalled. Private land both with one definitely off limits (the owner knew...) And the other "seeded" and covered with tons of equipment.
One known to my mentor , and the other he had passed before I found it out. It would not have surprised me if he knew about it. Though nothing was printed about it.

Stuff exists. Stuff got shuffled.
But high value piles are rare when compared to number of people. Most of whom own a pile that would fit in one pocket.

Keep digging into leads. And dig some more.
Jumping the gun and hitting dead ends or dry holes just reinforces researching more next time.
But , be ready to jump when the facts line up.
Fresh released or recently published or even spoken info can generate instant notice by others too. And when a tidbit is the missing puzzle piece , we revisit my mentor and the other hunter casting silent wary glances at each other on the trail when a lead breaks into recovery action attempt..

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Those stories have no truth. Most were invented to sell publications. Most are the same story with a change of location. I have looked at a lot of them over time and dates, locations, names do not match up to reality. There are true treasure leads available in every town but they arent published in magazines. You only find them doing the real research.

Publishing a book of false treasure stories isnt likely to garner much readership

We include newspaper articles over 100 years old or more. I have found some that are not true that have been published as true for 50 plus years. Several old magazine articles were word for word copies of newspaper articles of the past. When folks vacation out here they picture the old west, anything old west moves.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The stories in my books are much older than either of us, they are not invented.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One story that ran for over 20 years in treasures magazines including Lost Treasure: 13 wagons of gold coins rob at Bates Tavern, East Granby, Ct. is total BS. This story I had researched more than any other story. It started with an old lady wrote a letter to the editor, Hartford Courant stated that 13 wagons loaded of gold coins borrow from France during the Rev. War. I could write a book right now, I will not. Short: No country including France and our country had that much gold and it was not used for daily uses. The tavern was owned by a Bate family member until the late sixty. William Bates enjoys all the people who had read the story seeking the treasure. William info me and others that the coins were buried near the brook since it was easy digging. After he had died, and many hundreds of treasure-seeking fail to find the coins, I interview a man outside the tavern, and I found the perfect person to get information. He told me that his wife was a Bate. I had asked him if his father in law believe this story and he info me that nobody in the family ever heard of the story until the old letter appears in the newspaper. Lost Treasure had run this story as many as four times a year for over 20 years. There still may be people seeking these treasures without luck. In stories like this one, it is best interesting in researching coinage in early times.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in true unpublished stories about Connecticut buried treasures from those who lived out of state and or those no longer in researching these stories. Please sent PM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread