Historical maps open doors

D

Daveman

Just a quick word about getting permission to search.
Well, I'm an old time treasure seeker, gold prospector and worked for over 22 years on passenger cruise ships. Been around the world countless times, as a stateroom steward, accomadiation supervisor amongst other jobs. originally from England, I lived in the Northern territories of Queensland Australia for over a year. But no matter where I strayed, I always had my trusty metal detector with me. Found lot's of stuff over the years in England, Puerto Rico, Mexico...just anywhere.
Just one all important thing, I always asked the owner of the property where I wanted to search for permission. It was always a solid contract, that was an acknowledgement of my right to search their legal property on paper. Offer them 55 percent of what you find, as that always seems to work.
How did I approach them? With some well-researched material and an old' map of the area. Now you have to find the right local map. Have an understanding about mapping. Read something about American cartography...remember much of the original surveying techniques, were based on British metes and bounds, and other archaic systems. Learn about townships & ranges and other mapping information. When you approach the owner, you have to tweak their interest very quickly. Do not give them too much time to think it over. Show them what you have in mind. Tell the truth, but do not give everything you know to them however. Open there eyes with old newspaper cuttings, old books, courthouse papers or whatever you have.
Thats how its always worked for me.
Good research is your greatest tool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread