Dr. Hayes Buried Gold Arkansas River

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Dr. Hayes kept a store, ferry, boat landing and warehouse for goods on the bank of the Arkansas River. It was generally understood that Dr. Hayes buried about fifteen or twenty thousand dollars in gold when the war broke out and he had to leave for the Chickasaw Nation. After the war was over he came back in 1866 to find his money and dig it up. He brought a man with him and they stayed over on the other side of the river for several days watching some hostile Indians called "Pins" who were camped in the neighborhood of his home and where his money was buried. These campers had five wagons with sheets over them and Dr. Hayes was afraid to venture where they were and after his provisions were gone he gave up and went back to the Chickasaw Nation with the intention of returning in the fall. But in a short time after reaching home Dr. Hayes had a sudden illness in which he fell dead. The man who was with him later came back and told me about it but the money has never been found

...........Taken in part from the Oklahoma Chronicles................

Attachments

• junction canadian and arkansas.gif
    junction canadian and arkansas.gif
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,875

BigChief14

Jan 22, 2008
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III SL
Do you think this area is in East Oklahoma? Have you ever looked into what the big rivers (e.g. the Arkansas) looked like before the locke system was built? I think any treasure burried along the river might have been flooded and covered by LOTS of silt.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Silt? Maybe....but if I lived closer to this site...I would be checking it out.
Thanks Gypsy :)

TW

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silt? Maybe....but if I lived closer to this site...I would be checking it out.
Thanks Gypsy :)

TW

When he says "silt".... He means 12 to 14 feet of it. I live on the bank of the Arkansas river, and standing on the beach, it is 38' to bedrock in one spot that I know of. Shovels ain't gonna cut it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread