Bill Bowlegs loot (FL.)

K

Kentucky Kache

Bill Bowlegs' loot (FL.)

A Gulf Coast pirate who operated for almost 30 years and amassed a huge fortune in gold, silver, and jewels was William Billy Bowlegs Rogers. Rogers (nicknamed Billy Bowlegs after the Seminole war chief) was a member of Jean Lafittes Baritarian pirates as early as 1812. When Lafitte shifted operations to Galveston Island in 1818, Billy Bowlegs stayed behind and formed his own pirate fleet. From a secret base somewhere on the north Gulf Coast, Bowlegs and his small pirate fleet continued to prey on Spanish shipping in the Gulf until 1838 when the cartel of aging pirates officially disbanded. By this time, Billy Bowlegs Rogers had amassed a huge fortune which was disposed of in three places.

After several hundred thousand dollars worth of gold and silver was stored in the hold of his personal schooner, Rogers hid a great number of gold and silver ingots on a sandy island on the north Gulf Coast. The general consensus among treasure hunters is that this cache was made on the north shore of Santa Rosa Island, but in reality a large number of islands in the area fit the same description.

A large cache of coins and other valuables was secreted somewhere on the mainland. Possible locations for this cache outnumber the locations for the island cache.

Billy Bowlegs stayed retired for two years. In 1840 he gathered together 27 of his ex-cronies and took up the pirate path again. They found there were still plenty of good prizes in the Gulf but soon ran afoul of a British man o war. The warship chased the pirates back to their base but could not cross the sand bar into the lagoon as the lighter pirate vessel had done. When the British started to lower long boats full of marines, Bowlegs scuttled the treasure-laden ship and took his men into hiding in the forest. When the British gave up the chase and sailed away, Bowlegs left the bulk of his crew to guard the lagoon and set out overland for New Orleans with promises to return with diving equipment to retrieve the treasure.

By the time their captain returned with his personal schooner, the diving equipment, and his family, all but four of the crewmen were dead of fever or Indian attacks. The diving operations did not go well and, when another round of fever claimed Billy Bowlegs wife among its victims, he lost all interest in retrieving the treasure. Across the bay from the lagoon where the treasure ship was sunk near, lay the island with the cache of gold and silver ingots. Captain Bowlegs sailed across the bay and built a cabin on the mainland where he lived the rest of his life watching the treasure, but never spending it. Before he died at age 93 he supposedly gave directions for finding this hoard to a friend, but the landmarks had changed too much in the intervening years for the treasure to be found.

The U.S. Treasure Atlas states that over the years a number of bags of gold coins and bars of silver have been discovered on Santa Rosa Island, lending credence to the general consensus that this is the site of the main cache. But there have been enough finds in other areas on the Choctawatchee Bay and on other sections of the north Gulf Coast to call this assessment into question. Some think that Bowlegs hid the treasure on the mainland in the Fort Walton Beach area; others place the hoard on various smaller islands in the Choctawatchee Bay. Some say the treasure was hidden along the Mullet Creek, while other sources site a secret cavern below Fort San Carlos. Yet another, under a palm tree at Bald Point.

The locations given for Billy's cache of coins run the gamut from the area around Franklin in Franklin County to the Alabama side of the ferry on the Perdido River.

Most sources put the lagoon where the pirate captain scuttled his own treasure ship somewhere on the Choctawatchee Bay. A few name the Apalachicola Bay, and one source moves the whole story south to the mouth of the Swanee River. In this last scenario, the treasure cache is hidden either on Bird Island ten miles northwest of the mouth of the river or Bird Key ten miles south. This last seems awfully far afield; however, the pre-eminence of the Choctawatchee Bay area in most researcher's estimation may have been partially influenced by the fact that, in times past, the Greater Fort Walton Beach Chamber of Commerce actively promoted the Billy Bowlegs story as an annual tourist event. The claims that silver bars and bags of gold coins found in the area have not, that I know of, been backed up with names of the lucky finders. Still, the descriptions of the cache site fit Santa Rosa Island quite nicely, and that was where I placed the treasure when I wrote the Bowlegs story for the 1995 Treasure Cache Annual. Incidentally, the sacks of gold coins are said to be buried only six to 12 inches deep, but the silver ingots a good six to eight feet under.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bill Bowlegs' loot (FL.)

jbot said:
A Gulf Coast pirate who operated for almost 30 years and amassed a huge fortune in gold, silver, and jewels was William Billy Bowlegs Rogers. Rogers (nicknamed Billy Bowlegs after the Seminole war chief) was a member of Jean Lafittes Baritarian pirates as early as 1812. When Lafitte shifted operations to Galveston Island in 1818, Billy Bowlegs stayed behind and formed his own pirate fleet. From a secret base somewhere on the north Gulf Coast, Bowlegs and his small pirate fleet continued to prey on Spanish shipping in the Gulf until 1838 when the cartel of aging pirates officially disbanded. By this time, Billy Bowlegs Rogers had amassed a huge fortune which was disposed of in three places.

After several hundred thousand dollars worth of gold and silver was stored in the hold of his personal schooner, Rogers hid a great number of gold and silver ingots on a sandy island on the north Gulf Coast. The general consensus among treasure hunters is that this cache was made on the north shore of Santa Rosa Island, but in reality a large number of islands in the area fit the same description.

A large cache of coins and other valuables was secreted somewhere on the mainland. Possible locations for this cache outnumber the locations for the island cache.

Billy Bowlegs stayed retired for two years. In 1840 he gathered together 27 of his ex-cronies and took up the pirate path again. They found there were still plenty of good prizes in the Gulf but soon ran afoul of a British man o war. The warship chased the pirates back to their base but could not cross the sand bar into the lagoon as the lighter pirate vessel had done. When the British started to lower long boats full of marines, Bowlegs scuttled the treasure-laden ship and took his men into hiding in the forest. When the British gave up the chase and sailed away, Bowlegs left the bulk of his crew to guard the lagoon and set out overland for New Orleans with promises to return with diving equipment to retrieve the treasure.

By the time their captain returned with his personal schooner, the diving equipment, and his family, all but four of the crewmen were dead of fever or Indian attacks. The diving operations did not go well and, when another round of fever claimed Billy Bowlegs wife among its victims, he lost all interest in retrieving the treasure. Across the bay from the lagoon where the treasure ship was sunk near, lay the island with the cache of gold and silver ingots. Captain Bowlegs sailed across the bay and built a cabin on the mainland where he lived the rest of his life watching the treasure, but never spending it. Before he died at age 93 he supposedly gave directions for finding this hoard to a friend, but the landmarks had changed too much in the intervening years for the treasure to be found.

The U.S. Treasure Atlas states that over the years a number of bags of gold coins and bars of silver have been discovered on Santa Rosa Island, lending credence to the general consensus that this is the site of the main cache. But there have been enough finds in other areas on the Choctawatchee Bay and on other sections of the north Gulf Coast to call this assessment into question. Some think that Bowlegs hid the treasure on the mainland in the Fort Walton Beach area; others place the hoard on various smaller islands in the Choctawatchee Bay. Some say the treasure was hidden along the Mullet Creek, while other sources site a secret cavern below Fort San Carlos. Yet another, under a palm tree at Bald Point.

The locations given for Billy's cache of coins run the gamut from the area around Franklin in Franklin County to the Alabama side of the ferry on the Perdido River.
Gulf Coast pirate who operated for almost 30 years and amassed a huge fortune in gold, silver, and jewels was William Billy Bowlegs Rogers. Rogers (nicknamed Billy Bowlegs after the Seminole war chief) was a member of Jean Lafittes Baritarian pirates as early as 1812. When Lafitte shifted operations to Galveston Island in 1818, Billy Bowlegs stayed behind and formed his own pirate fleet. From a secret base somewhere on the north Gulf Coast, Bowlegs and his small pirate fleet continued to prey on Spanish shipping in the Gulf until 1838 when the cartel of aging pirates officially disbanded. By this time, Billy Bowlegs Rogers had amassed a huge fortune which was disposed of in three places.

Most sources put the lagoon where the pirate captain scuttled his own treasure ship somewhere on the Choctawatchee Bay. A few name the Apalachicola Bay, and one source moves the whole story south to the mouth of the Swanee River. In this last scenario, the treasure cache is hidden either on Bird Island ten miles northwest of the mouth of the river or Bird Key ten miles south. This last seems awfully far afield; however, the pre-eminence of the Choctawatchee Bay area in most researcher's estimation may have been partially influenced by the fact that, in times past, the Greater Fort Walton Beach Chamber of Commerce actively promoted the Billy Bowlegs story as an annual tourist event. The claims that silver bars and bags of gold coins found in the area have not, that I know of, been backed up with names of the lucky finders. Still, the descriptions of the cache site fit Santa Rosa Island quite nicely, and that was where I placed the treasure when I wrote the Bowlegs story for the 1995 Treasure Cache Annual. Incidentally, the sacks of gold coins are said to be buried only six to 12 inches deep, but the silver ingots a good six to eight feet under.

The red is the info that's copied twice. Good lead, thanks for posting it! I read that one in my Treasure Atlas too. :)

Bran <><

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Sorry about that.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jbot said:
Sorry about that.

:D It's cool!
Just thought I'd help ya' out there. ;)

Bran <><

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

"The claims of silver bars and bags of gold have not been backed up by names." Well, you didn't do your research very well. I found numerous names to back up the stories. In June 1958 Mrs Beulah Croaker found several treasure caches on Santa Rosa Is. She started buying up land to excavate. The folowing year F.L. Coffman and Bud Worth found and excavated Bowlegs ship, the Mysterio in the N.E. corner of Choctawhatchee Bay. They brought up over 117 bars of silver. In 1965 L. Frank Hudson found the gold bars on Santa Rosa Is. He was caught by the local authorities and the gold was confiscated. In 1978 Don Williams of Ft. Meyers found pirate graves on the east end of Santa Rosa Is. He dug them up and found silver coins, jewelery, a flintlock pistol and other artifacts. All the good stuff is gone.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

scubasalvor said:
"The claims of silver bars and bags of gold have not been backed up by names." Well, you didn't do your research very well. I found numerous names to back up the stories. In June 1958 Mrs Beulah Croaker found several treasure caches on Santa Rosa Is. She started buying up land to excavate. The folowing year F.L. Coffman and Bud Worth found and excavated Bowlegs ship, the Mysterio in the N.E. corner of Choctawhatchee Bay. They brought up over 117 bars of silver. In 1965 L. Frank Hudson found the gold bars on Santa Rosa Is. He was caught by the local authorities and the gold was confiscated. In 1978 Don Williams of Ft. Meyers found pirate graves on the east end of Santa Rosa Is. He dug them up and found silver coins, jewelery, a flintlock pistol and other artifacts. All the good stuff is gone.

Okay, rude dude. First of all, this is not my research. People find leads for various areas and post them here for those who might be interested. Also, whoever wrote this story, you missquoted them. They said, AS FAR AS THEY KNEW, the claims had not been backed up by names...

I'm sure you know more than I do on this lead, but it was posted here for those who might NOT know about it. This is not a contest.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cache Crazy said:
"rude dude"

Rude Dude... lol! :D

Bran <><

P.S. Sorry, I saw the movie and your comment reminded me of this song... lol

T-Pain - Church (Step Up 2 Sountrack)
[youtube=425,350]VehCcE5anUs[/youtube]

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Now there's some mixed up dudes. :D

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

godisnum1 said:
Cache Crazy said:
"rude dude"

Rude Dude... lol! :D

Bran <><

P.S. Sorry, I saw the movie and your comment reminded me of this song... lol

T-Pain - Church (Step Up 2 Sountrack)
[youtube=425,350]VehCcE5anUs[/youtube]

Is the name of that bad The Annoying Dudes ? :headbang:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Could be, I suppose... lol

Bran <><

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Not too bad Godisnum1. Racially mixed, clean words, no sex, no drugs, no guns, no cop killin talk. Better than most hiphop that I have seen. 8) Rude Dude.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
Not too bad Godisnum1. Racially mixed, clean words, no sex, no drugs, no guns, no cop killin talk. Better than most hiphop that I have seen. 8) Rude Dude.

I can't take credit for it... it just made me think of it when Cache Crazy said "rude dude" in his post. lol
It's just one of the songs from the Step Up Soundtrack that I remembered when I saw it in the theaters a month or so ago.
Unfortunately, I do believe there are bad lyrics to the song... that just happened to be the edited version. I haven't heard the normal version, nor do I really care to.

Bran <><

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver

I was out swinging and a older fella came up and started talking to me about this today.Interesting indeed.He started losing me when he started talking like a pirate a little bit..
He was saying he was leagues away from a find and talking about I should go out into the woods a couple more paces....I dont know if he is vetran MD'er or he has been around pirate info TO MUCH !!

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Scubasalvor? Could you show me the area/spot they talk about in the book ..Maybe give me a X on the map..I have found some spanish stuff in my area ,but would love to find some more...Thanks,relic

Attachments

• map_image.jpg
    map_image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,959

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

I know they did this dig in 1964 and the guy in 1965 may have found the gold bars in this area of the island ,old spanish fort... 1722-1752 Presidio Isla de Santa Rosa .Also ,how could they tell the graves were pirates and not just your every day 1730s spanish person :-\

Attachments

• 1964SmithExcavation.jpg
    1964SmithExcavation.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,035
  • santa rosa.jpg
    santa rosa.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,000

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

There is an interesting newspaper clipping from the 1960's at the Pensacola Regional Library's Special Collections Department. It's an article about a crane/dredge operator excavating new canals for the Holiday Isles residential area being built on the beach in Destin, FL. Apparently, the guy scooped up several thousand dollar's worth of Spanish silver coins and bars.

I have yet to find this story online but I WILL get to the library to scan or photocopy the article. This is NOT a legend. Granted, this could have been what was left over from one of the scores of Spanish vessels known to have run aground between Pensacola and St. Marks but no ballast stones or other evidence of a shipwreck were found by this guy.

There is only one fully documented loss of a pirate ship along the Panhandle beaches. The pirate (or privateer) vessel, 'Le Franchise', was attacked by U.S. Gunboat 162 commanded by Midshipman Francis Hoyt Gregory in 1811. The vessel was intentionally run aground on Santa Rosa Island "near Pensacola" and was set on fire by its crew who then swam ashore. Since this was Spanish Territory at that time, I doubt that the American gunboat sent a shore party to try to round-up the pirate crew or salvage any of their cargo. There is unsubstantiated evidence that the Le Franchise was commanded by Dominque Youx (You). Youx was Lafitte's right-hand man throughout the Baritaria period.

Pcola

DDS1997

Jun 7, 2013
Pensacola, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were three different Billy Bowlegs in Florida History. The Seminole Chief Holato Micco, William August Bowles, a British deserter that joined the Creek Indians, and William Rogers. Rogers was supposedly a former protégé of Jean Lafitte.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread