Tahatchapi Calif. & Colorado desert,Spanish armour, Desert Ships

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
Tahatchapi Calif. & Colorado desert,Spanish armour, Desert Ships

I was shopping in a electronic surplus store recently and heard 2 interesting treasure stories from another customer. 1st, he told me a skeleton with full Spanish amour was found somewhere close to the Tahatchapi mountains in Calif.,probably un -covered by shiftng sand and wind,by hikers, within the last 2 years. 2nd, a aquintance of his found a ships mast sticking out of the sand somewhere in Colorado desert,where as this person proceeded to bring a bulldozer to the mast location,uncover what was left of the ship, recover silver coins and other treasure artafacts,then cover the ship back up. The customer says he actually was shown some of the recovered silver coins.These stories are just word of mouth, without proof to me , but they could be true.
Hey Gypsie,you always look so cool in your different costumes ,you must drive your men jus ;) ;)plain crazy. :D ;) :)

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tahatchapi Calif. & Colorado desert,Spanish armour, Desert Ships

hey gang,
I agree if they used a dozer and got close enough to uncover the ship then it would have to be on stable land. There are 3 main places where the ship is " supposed " to be located. 1 is split mountain, ( state park land ) and you're not taking a dozer in there. 2 is in the middle of the Salton Sea ( ahhh no dozer ) and 3 is E of Imperial on what is now farm land. That could be but I believe doubtful... Here is a pix of a mast that was found in the desert ( in Mexico ) and how someone tried to pull it up..

PLL

lostship3.jpg

lostship3.jpg

Attachments

• lostship4.jpg
    lostship4.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,353

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i heard another 1 is in the Salton sea somewhere true or false :icon_scratch:

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey gang,
HHHHHHEEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!! TT SWEEEEEEEET BAAAAABBBBYYYY...... I haven't heard from you in awhile.... :o :o :o :o :o :o

Anyway back to the post.....TT since I am not " nautical " what's a spar or sprit ??

The pixs above is from the 60's when a group of guys from El Centro, who went down to the Yuha desert in Mexico and tried to dig up this mast. I have heard and read of sighting out in the Salton Sink ( before it became a Sea ), but noone could get clsoe enough because the " muck " would cause them to get srtuck. One story says it took one guy hours to get his mule out...

PLL

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i new iffin i called it a sea someone would correct me but hay thats why iam here to learn. :thumbsup:

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TT

No need for shame kiddo....After that, I think I should be holding my head UP with unknowing stupidity ( in the fact that I didn't know what a sprit and spar was ) LOL LOL LOL .......Let's see hmmmmm........ TT and the rubber room.... I think I can see the connection ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
and I will wait to hear from you after the great debacle....

PLL

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey gang,
here ae some pixs of the Salton Sink turning into the Salton Sea.

newriv01.jpg

"The late spring flood of the Colorado was approaching its maximum. The crevasse was now a half mile wide, and through it the river was pouring 6,000,000,000 [six billion] cubic feet of water every 24 hours. In the middle of the Imperial Valley the works of the New Liverpool Salt Company were buried under 60 feet of water, and above them Salton Sea was rising seven inches higher each day, covering an area of 400 square miles. The towns of Calexico and Mexicali were partially destroyed; 12,000 people were in danger of losing their property, homes and lives...And yet, by a mammoth jest, there still existed the paradox that these thousands of settlers would be driven out of the desert by lack of water should the river be wholly dammed." --Waters
April 1906--Cory is appointed head engineer, replacing Rockwood.

saltonseaflood2.jpg

August 1906--Attack No. 4. Cory oversees construction of huge brush mattress, 100 feet wide. They also build rail trestle across entire cut. They sink mattress and dump 300 carloads of rock (60 tons each carload) on top of the mattress. The river is dammed and the problem is solved--for a few weeks.

newriv01.jpg

Late December 1906 -- Attack No. 5. Southern Pacific builds two trestles across the breach, in order to dump rock twice as fast, and begins dumping rock as fast as possible. According to Waters, they "dump 3000 cars of rock totaling 80,000 cubic yards in 15 days." Photo at left by C. E. Tait, November 1906.

newriv02.jpg

February 10, 1907 -- Victory. Building the trestles and dumping the rock took 52 days and $1,600,000, but the overflow is permanently stopped. Water continues to flow to the valley through the new gate just north of the Mexican border. I am still looking for information that will clear up the place that C. K. Clarke played in winning this battle. Neither of the sources for this outline mention his name, but he was pictured twice on the murals that once adorned the walls of the Barbara Worth Hotel. The mural booklet says, [Clarke] "directed the last phase of the winning fight against the river." The Imperial Valley Press site quotes from George Keenan's book, The Salton Sea: "If Mr. Harriman, personally, had been asked who finally controlled the Colorado River and saved the Imperial Valley, he undoubtedly would have replied: 'Epes Randolph, H. T. Cory, Thomas J. Hind, C. K. Clarke and their associates.' But these gentlemen have publicly said that the driving power behind their work, the one thing that made it successful, was the invincible determination of their chief [Harriman]. C. K. Clarke said, 'The writer desires to put on record the fact that the accomplishment of the work was due primarily and exclusively to the independent judgment and courage of Mr. Harriman, who persisted in his belief that the breaks could be closed, and his determination to close them, in the face of opposition and regardless of the positive assertions of a host of eminent engineers that the closure was a physical impossibility.'" Two photo at left by C. E. Tait. Both are marked November 1906.

I just love these old time photo's, look at the 1st one and look for the guy standing at the upper left for a better idea of scale. MAN !!! That must of been one helluva flood.....

PLL

Attachments

• saltonseaflood2.jpg
    saltonseaflood2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,203
  • saltonseaflood1.jpg
    saltonseaflood1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,217

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow didnt know that. See you learn something here everyday. :thumbsup: by the way i spent some time installing drip irrigation outside of indio for Peters farms years ago

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey gang,
Here are some more recent pixs when I'm travelin

enjoy
PLL

PICT1385.JPG

The new River

PICT1387.JPG

The New River with a truck driving by for scale

PICT1388.JPG

and another pix

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TT,
For you I would do ANYTHING !!! except yard work, house work or basically any work that does not include treasure hunting..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
However I do have this really coooooooolll mattress though.... What do you think ????

millmat.jpg

and you're very very welcome for the pixs... to all it's my pleasure

PLL

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TT
Your wish is my command, here is the new mattress

moneymattress.jpg

and some of the trees in the backyard

money_tree5.jpg

and just in case you have a need I brought this in for you

moneytp.jpg

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PLL

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ROFL ROFL

Somehow I KNEW of the 3 pixs you would hone in on that one LOL LOL !!!!!! I would GLADLY send you a case... Wait, just a case?? Are you sure... The holidays are just around the corner you know...... ;D ;D ;D

PS: pm me with the address and I'll send you some right away!!! God knows I don't want to be responsible for you NOT having any " paper "....

With Heartfelt friendship
PLL

Dred Pirat Dodd

Aug 1, 2008

LOL at the paper products... Very cool pics. I had no idea the Salton Sea was people made. As for ships out there... hmmmm.... Save money on tank fills...

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi dred,
-Nice avatar-
The salton Sea was... kinda man made, more like man guided. After the Colorado River jumped north for 2 years all anyone could do was to try to guide the water to the sink ( it was headed there anyway ). As for the ship I believe it " was " there. Question is, is there anything left to confirm it... or not...

PLL

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Pulse Star 2, "Cachefinder" LRL, GPL

ghostdog said:
I was shopping in a electronic surplus store recently and heard 2 interesting treasure stories from another customer. 1st, he told me a skeleton with full Spanish amour was found somewhere close to the Tahatchapi mountains in Calif.,probably un -covered by shiftng sand and wind,by hikers, within the last 2 years.

I bought property in Bear Valley Springs, about a dozen miles west of Tehachapi, back in the mid-eighties but decided not to move there and sold it several years later. I read some lore of Spanish treasure in the area but nothing about an actual find yet. Any more information on that?

There was quite a number of successfull farming/ranching/mining enterprises starting from the 1860s onward and no bank in town until 1917? (if my memory serves me right). In my opinion, there is a good chance for a cache or two during this 55+ year period.

As a matter of fact, I'm on the trail of one rancher as we speak. I found a total of 7 deeds for the sale of cattle totaling $3,550 (specified as paid in U.S. gold coin) over a 18 month period before he died unexpectedly, leaving his wife to scramble for assets by getting his property into her name so she could begin selling. I'm assuming she was short on cash as one early court document specifies payment to her lawyer through the sale of said property.

I can only hope that this rancher didn't have a lady-friend on the side at the local saloon :) That $3,550 could end up as a mason jar with a tin-type of a pretty woman dressed in red.Or would that be varying shades of gray? LOL

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

pegleglooker:

I believe a "spar" is a long, thin piece of wood (or, for a brief period at the end of the Age of Sail, steel) used to hold a ship's sails. A typical mast was constructed of two or three vertical spars - the top of the lower one attached to the bottom of the next higher one.

A spar was also used to hold the top of each sail - in which case it was also known as a yard. If you're a pirate fan you will familiar with someone being hung from the yard arm - the end of the horizonal length of wood that supported the top of each sail.

OK - I'm sitting down braced with a noggin of grog - awaiting all the corrections that are sure to come!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaneer

PS: Do you know the story of Harry Oliver and the lost peglegs?

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hello oldbook,
It looks like TT deleted all her responses here ( where she explained the difference between a spar and sprit ). But thanks for letting us know again. I have read the Harry Oliver stories many many times, and am VERY surprised that noone has found any more of these peglegs. I know they were made of wood and " may " have deteriorated by now. But I am very very surprised that no of the Cal crowd owns one or at least has personal pixs of one. The only picture I have seen is the one with Harry.

PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread