PANCHO VILLAS GOLD IN SOUTH TEXAS

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Re: PANCHO VILLA'S GOLD IN SOUTH TEXAS

I died twice in 2001. Don't expect to live much more than another 20 years. Maybe I can get Marty McFly to deliver your present for me. Could be I remembered a story where one gatling went missing or could be the author didn't know what he was talking about. I was thinking that it was from that steamboat that was acompanying Custer and had to dump the supplies and bullion. If Custer had access to a Gatling gun and didn't take it with him to the Little Big Hortn then he was a bigger fool than everyone thought. Maybeso maybe not. regards, siegfried schlagrule

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI SIEGFRIED: Custer "was" a big fool, he never took advantage of the long range that his new 50-70 Springifeld's had to stop the attacks at 400 - 600 meters. Properly used, the Indians could never have closed with an effective force. Reno did a fairly effective job with his.

don Jose de La Mancha

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2

The story is that Custer had six Gatling Guns but they were to cumbersome for his calvary so the guns were left with the supply wagon train.
Custer under estimated the number of my people in the area.

BF

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

Or as we like to say "his mouth wrote checks his ass couldn't cash" regards, siegfried schlagrule

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

If you take a look at Custer's record during the CW it becomes painfully obvious that the man was always pushing the envelope and just pushed it too far, one too many times. In fact, there's a credible account by one of the Indians in the camp that he was shot at the ford approaching the camp and that his column road/assisted him back to higher ground, which they were pushed up by attacking Indians and which quickly became last stand hill. I just think he did his usual hard push into a fight without an exit strategy and got caught out, with no body to ride in and rescue his sorry butt. When I read about how many times his calvary unit road hard into a battle, then had to be rescued it became obvious to me that the man never learned his lesson and ultimately a bunch of his men paid for his reckless approach. Funny thing is that I think Custer tried to fight and ride a lot like Nathan Bedford Forrest, but just couldn't pull it off the way NBF could.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used

In each graduating class at West Point there is a "goat". That is the cadet that graduates last in his class. Frequently they do not learn that they are actually graduating until the night before graduation. It is the tradition that the goat is presented a dollar by each member of the graduating class. They also award a dollar to the first person that throws them a salute after they are commissioned. Custer is the most famous goat in history. siegfried schlagrule

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hio Seigfried, I received my first one from a Marine sgt, cost me $ 1:00 dollar but worth it to my ego having been a former enlisted guy. heheheh.

Don Jose de La Mancha

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

The book Texas Tales of lost mines and buried treasure speaks of Pancho villas Hidden loot in The Franklin Mountains funny thing is, is that when the Lieutenant returned after doing the deed He was likewise killed by Pancho, as far as him dying Broke, well thats debatable maybe he just wasent ready to retire yet. ;D

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

The Coins that I was/am referring to..
Were to be used to buy guns from a "Winchester" Salesman in El Paso!
The "Coins" were left in a "Place" ;D ::) where they'd be safe!
If and when the "salesman" showed up !
But!
The Mexican Federal Agent, a "Col.", was "spotted" BY! Ponco's Agent's and was killed !
They didn't know about the "gun deal" !
The Coins, are still in this "Place" ! :D
Anyone know the rest of the story ?

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods

USMCRedHat said:
Coon007,

Yes, Poncho Villa did cross the border and leave some loot behind! The story goes like this; Pancho cached alot of his treasure in the Sierra Madres of Mexico BUT considering he might want to "retire" in the U.S. he decided to drop a portion here. Legend says he did so in the Franklin Mountains of El Paso, Texas right close to Mexico. He had one of his captains stash the cache for him in a canyon that he had already picked out. This Captain and six men made the journey with burro's loaded with GOLD the exact amount is not known. They crossed the border not far from Ysleta and to the west and entered the Franklins. Following his instructions, the captain and six men found the canyon where poncho told them to bury the gold. The captain paced off the exact steps the map told him to then had the men dig the hole. When they had finished placing the bags of gold into the hole, the captain took a rifle and shot each of the six men dead their bodies falling over the gold and then the dirt thrown on top to start a lost treasure tale. Next the captain wrote the word "Oro" on a rock close to the treasure site just as Poncho had told him to do and then he left.
The captain returned to Poncho who thanked him for his service. Later that night Poncho gave him his reward for this service when he sent three of his men who cut the captains throat. This of course made Poncho the only person alive that knew of the location of the treasure site. Pancho was never to collect his treasure as he was machine gunned down in Parral and the gold was forgotten until the discovery of papers by C.F. Degner in 1932 which had been written by Poncho and mentioned Villa's buried treasure.
Anyway, there is only one that I know of that had come across it but actually didn't know what he had stumbled on. He uncovered the bones of the buried men but thinking they it was a grave he went no further and covered the site and left, this was sometime in the 40's. Later in the 1950's he heard about the papers found by C.F. Degner and remembering the site he had come across attempted to relocate the grave but never could. Thats the story, of Pancho Villa's lost treasure still out there waiting for somebody to uncover it. Hope this helps.
USMCRedHat: Hmmmm....Who is the mystery man that dug up the bones in the 40's? If you give me the correct year he dug them up, and the name of the man that dug them up it would help greatly.And are there any better details about location other than "the Franklin's"?

4girlsinfl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2006

About the gold in the Franklins near ELP, understand that a professor from UTELP led a geology class to the mtns for field trip and that a student took a picture of rock that had written on it "oro", he later saw the picture, knew of the tale, but sigh... like all other stories, could not contact the former student due to her moving back to S.America...... for what its worth. Parker, TX

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods

Cappy: It sounds to me that your details of a cache(treasure) left by Poncho and/or his men is quite different than this one where he had a captain kill the six men after the captain hid the loot, then poncho had the captain offed after doing the good deed for the Commander-n-Chief of el Revolutio'n!! Do you have anything about Poncho's gold near/in the Franklins? stvn.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

the book I read is titled Texas Tales of Lost Mines and Buried Teasures, it has lots of stuff about the Franklin mountains including the Info mentioned hear but that is the extent of my knowledge, I reccomend it to all who are pursuing this Treasure, then you can go from there.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the story that one of ya all posted with the word on a rock was posted in lost treasure magazine..I have it... its an old issue.... also adding to that story from memory...some college students had to do a report of some kind..they all turned in their papers.... well, when the professor was reading one of em... he noticed a photo of an area with the rock with the oro word on it.....he couldnt get in touch with the student as she was a exchange student and had gone back to her homeland.... so he was planning on going and hunting in a general area mentioned in her report.... He never made it...he died before he could go and see... thats all I remember..so there is something buried there somewheres..

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i have never heard about villa losing money. most was spent on land relocation, shoes, food and schooling for children in his operational area.
he did frequent the border areas for military supplies an ice cream, plus one dodge touring car...el paso was just one of the places he attended.
his raid on columbus new mexico is credited with the general store owner accepting money for weapons an supplies, but reniged, after the united states recognzed Carranza as the head of the mexican government.
i also never head of villa losing gatling guns...he did in fact lose 5 or so 3.5 inch mountain howitzers, french made, in the days prior to his attack on agua prieta. this loss was due to traveling in mountains, assualted by a spring rain only the southwest could provide.

anyone south of the border who wishs to search for some cannon? it is now in a high smuggling area.

larrybird

Feb 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather and other men found some of his gold Many years ago. On private land in Presidio county. He passed away 27yrs ago. Told me the story when I was a young teen. He was one of the most honest men I've known. Said it was after Pancho's death. 30's? 40's? Not sure. A family member of his got a map from someone riddled with guilt. Someone who went to the "cave" with someone else. Got greedy and killed the guy who took him there. Stabbed him. He gave the map to someone in a bar. Who then gave it to a person my grandfather knew. They went in search one night. Found it. Along with a skeleton. Bars of gold stacked. When they returned to their vehicles, miles from the 'site', border patrol told them to leave and never return. They tried to get permission from the land owner. Said what they found and would split it. No deal. A year or so later, there was a local newspaper that announced that gold had been discovered. I saw the black & white photos of their expedition and the newspaper article of the gold found. My only thought was, couldn't you carry atleast one bar?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread