Bell County, Texas

Roaddog

Jun 8, 2005
Galveston, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In March 1978 Lost Treasure magazine had an article called "Bell County's Texas-Sized Treasure StillUp For Grabs!". The article indicates that two major attempts to recover treasure were made, one in 1933 and another in 1965. The location was supposed to be near Salado Creek and Prairie Dell. At some points it seems to talk about caves in a hill and elsewhere seems to talk about a cave in the side of Salado Creek. Evidently in the 1933 attempt the Temple, Texas newspaper ever talked with J. Frank Dobie. The cave in the creek was called Comanche Cave. Does anyone else ave any info on this? Seems since it was so well known in 1965, more info would be available. Many people at the time thought it was the Lost Bowie Mine.

Thanks.

P

Parangjim

Also known as "The Treasure of the Golden Bull". Well documented treasure, apparently still there. Probably NOT the Bowie mine nor the San Salba mine.Check out Frank Master's book on treasure hunting for more details. as I remember it, the gold and silver are in two chambers approximately 200 feet in the mountain but protected by waters from Salado Creek and a spring inside the mountain. I'm willing to bet a 90 foot auger (24inch diameter) would give you access in about three days. Estimates run as high as a BILLION dollars, but more probably much less. we all know how treasure multiplies exponentially as it stays hidden.
parangjim

OP
OP
R

Roaddog

Jun 8, 2005
Galveston, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Do you know the name of the book? This treasure lead has interest to me cause i live about 45 minutes away from where it is supposed to be.

P

Parangjim

Will check to make sure, but it may be Treasure or Lost Treasure. Comanche Cave was hidden by covering it with tons of rock and dirt to about 60 feet high. Check the newspapers of the 60's for more info. There was a big deal about it then. The group who were looking for the treasure got into trouble for securities fraud and was forced to quit digging just short of the cavern with the treasure in it. BE CAREFUL! At least one person got very ill from breathing the stale air (or something) in the cavern.
parangjim

OP
OP
R

Roaddog

Jun 8, 2005
Galveston, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the further info. The articles I saw refer to the newspaper in Temple, Texas so I was planning to go there to find the articles, don't think they would have anything from the 60's on-line. Even though the info I had talks about mines, it sounded more like a cache of gold and silver. Based on where it is supposed to be I don't think the geology is right for there to be a mine. The location is too far east to be a mine. Anyway, I'm going to keep looking and let you know what I find.

Thanks.

OP
OP
R

Roaddog

Jun 8, 2005
Galveston, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parangjim,

I did a search for Frank Master(s) on a few book sites and come up empty for anything related to treasure hunting! If you get a chance to double check on the book, let me know.

Thanks

Roaddog

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Thought I'd post the Golden Bull story, the location seems to fit the region the original poster was looking at...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read this story years back and for some reason it always caught my eye. This comes from Thomas Penfield's "Treasures of Texas" and while the story is fairly hard to beleive, it has some interesting elements to it and find the story as a whole one worth passing on. Rad it and share your thoughts...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In February, 1965, the following story came out of Salado, Texas, as a United Press news item and was carried by metropolitan news papers around the country, including the Los Angeles Herald-Examiner of Feb. 23, 1965:

"Treasure hunters armed with dynamite and visions of fantastic riches probed deeply today into a legend shrouded pile of rocks near this central Texas hamlet.

The small band of explorers beleive that deep within the 250-foot high limestone hummock--called a mountain locally--lies a room conceiling diamonds, coins, and bars of gold and silver. Only four feet of rock now seperates the adventurers from a Spanish treasure valued at hundreds of
millions of dollars, they contend.

According to local lore, Spanish Conquistadores mined gold and silver along swift, often troublesome Salado Creek which winds around this jagged heap of rocks. Reportedly they fashioned the ore into bars and hid them.

There are other stories that gold stolen from the Comanches was buried in the hills.

Previous fortune hunters have gouged shafts into the stubborn cliffs without success.

H.D. McCord, Dallas liquor store and restaurant owner, says he personally has contributed more than $40,000 to the project. He is a partner of R.L. Wells, also of Dallas, a construction company owner, and Lee Guerra, a Texas A & M graduate who says he stumbled onto the treasure chamber in
1957, spent two days wandering through a maze of tunnels, and barely escaped.

Guerra, McCord and Wells are partners in the venture, known as Guerra Enterprises. They say a forth partner's identity is a secret.

International Explorers entered the picture a month ago on a percentage basis. Francis E. Richley is reported as saying that Virgil Baker and John Wilson of Dallas, operators of Explorers International, are currently
bankrolling the project.

Much of the legend deals with an Indian named Pablo Juarez, who died several years ago in a Georgetown hospital.

As the story goes, Pablo came to this spot when he was 5 and remained 103 years, living in cave. He was reported seen from time to time with several gold bars.

Guerra said he befriended the Indian and learned of the room in which $36,000,000 in treasure had been hidden.
Acquaintances say Guerra passed a lie detector test affirming the veracity of his account that, after the Indian's death, he found an opening in the river bank, entered the cave and got lost in the maze.

Guerra said he stumbled into a room containing gold and silver bars in neat stacks. Exploring the area with a flashlight, he said he also found a life-sized golden bull with rubbies for eyes embedded in the cavern wall.

I spent considerale time in the room, but I was frightened and panicky, he related. I couldn't think. Guerra said he spent two days wandering in the damp, dark passageways
before finding an exit.

He was dehydrated to a certain extent, and scared to death, said McCord. At that point the gold didn't mean anythign to him. Guerra said that he spent 8 months in the hospital after the ordeal.

Since that time, he said, he had attempted to retrace his way through the tunnels, but found them impassable because of cave-ins.

Obviously this great treasure has never been recovered because a find of such vast size could hardly have been kept secret. All of our effots to contact the principals in the story have failed. If the story is true--and
we're not saying it isn't--it is truly one of America's greatest treasures, but whether it is true or false we leave to your judgement.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
OK guess what Guerra's bill was after eight months in the hospital. That's right -- 32 million $$$

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread