Any info on the Capt Kidd Rhode Island/CT treasure legends?

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
I work right near this place, but never bothered because legends without facts can lead to the never-ending search. But, here it is. When Kidd learned he was branded a pirate he returned to his home waters around Long Island Sound. He retained a lawyer to negociate wiith the colonial governors of New York and Massachusetts to intercede on his behalf with the king. He told the lawyer that, after sailing up the Connecticut River, he buried two chests of treasure in the vicinity of what is now Whethersfield, after anchoring at a landing there. He asked that, in the event things didn't go his way, that the lawyer use these chests of treasure to provide for his wife. The lawyer didn't look for them until after Kidd's demise. He located the markers Kidd left, but found no treasure. His conclusion was that Kidd had connned him, and that there never was any treasure. Thus, the legend was born. But, who are we to dispute the conclusion of the lawyer who was there at the time.

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Various Seismic generators and magnetic anomoly detector equipment (MADs).
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I work right near this place, but never bothered because legends without facts can lead to the never-ending search. But, here it is. When Kidd learned he was branded a pirate he returned to his home waters around Long Island Sound. He retained a lawyer to negociate wiith the colonial governors of New York and Massachusetts to intercede on his behalf with the king. He told the lawyer that, after sailing up the Connecticut River, he buried two chests of treasure in the vicinity of what is now Whethersfield, after anchoring at a landing there. He asked that, in the event things didn't go his way, that the lawyer use these chests of treasure to provide for his wife. The lawyer didn't look for them until after Kidd's demise. He located the markers Kidd left, but found no treasure. His conclusion was that Kidd had connned him, and that there never was any treasure. Thus, the legend was born. But, who are we to dispute the conclusion of the lawyer who was there at the time.

The lawyer did not find all the markers (at least one), but I did. Sorry so late with the reply. In the recovery stage now looking for more provinence info.
Cheers.

Big Bad John

Jul 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I'm looking for any and all info on the legends about Captain Kidd burying his treasures in the Connecticut or Block Island, Rhode Island areas. Anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Me too. I live in Stratford.

BBJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread