All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz1.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,570

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Jeff, the story is well known here. I have old books that claim the treasure is buried so many paces from an old oak with an X burned into it.

MichaelB
Mobile Bay

I

IMAGINE!

MichaelB,
Any more detailed info you could slide to me? ::) I'm heading to Fort Morgan in a week, and it's my first time MD'ing. Any tips for the area would be met with much appreciation!
Thanks in advance!

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
You can't go to the Fort but you can go to the last Condo before the State of AL property starts. On your way take a left on Cortez street and go down to the beach. Between the condos and the beach is the remains of a Civil War blockade runner. You might get lucky if the tide is low. If you walk on the sound side around where Pilot town used to be you can stillfind some neat stuff if you can stand the bugs.

Good luck.

MichaelB

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Gasp--erilla not real------you mean ole "honest" JACK BEATER just lied to sell "pulp" pirate"treasure tales" books to gullible yankee tourist and dense locals? I AS A RESEARCHER--- AM SHOCKED---THAT ANYONE WOULD FALL THE THAT B S THAT BEATER PUT OUT --- just goes to show how the "urban legend" treasure stories stuff spreads out getting a life of its own----all the more reason tp do "proper" real research before running around wasting your valuible time,effort and money trying to hunt down non existant treasure hoards---Ivan

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasparilla_Pirate_Festival

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Gaspar

José Gaspar, known by his nickname Gasparilla (supposedly lived c. 1756 – 1821), was a purported Spanish pirate, the "last of the Buccaneers," who is claimed to have raided the west coast of Florida during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Though he is a popular figure in Florida folklore, no evidence of his existence appears in writing before the early 20th century. His legend is celebrated every year in Tampa with the Gasparilla Pirate Festival.

bg

Aug 17, 2007
hey michaelb fished around pilot town since the 70s can you legally look in the water around navy cove with a detector

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yammy Elf said:
pccvanwilder said:
gasparilla is actually real. i am a huge pirate buff and have seen proof... found in the 1900's.
The proof is in the rum

:::chortles:::

Sounds like a Belief System!

mikethedigger

Sep 8, 2011
jeff of pa said:

i know where where one cashe was buried it was found....it was no where near ft morgan. i actually have permission to go to this site. i havent found much it has been dug alot...but im still planning on going back and trying again. the finds consisted of a cashe of copper coins silver bars sevrial solid cannon balls dagger handles britis uniform peices lots of bricks for some reason...the bricks werent part of a structure they were stacked and buried a foot deep and the cashe was under them.... there was some of his treasure discovered around bayou labattery i think i read in the 1930s....

salvage diver

Feb 11, 2012
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites-DFX & Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow: there are quite a lot of stories that claim Ft Morgan. I grew up diving all around Gulf Shores and the only thing i can say for sure is that there are more sharks and less people in the water there than at the Pink Pony.

salvage diver

Feb 11, 2012
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites-DFX & Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes its a good dive for the area after a big storm sometimes it gets uncovered kinda like the whiskey wreck. I have never detected either site only dove them. I was certified at underwater works in 90 and that is when I first dive the whiskey then Jeremy opened underwater works in 91 and about 92 we heard about the paddle wheeler.

harryoutdoors

May 26, 2012
Daphne al
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know of any shipwrecks on the eastern shore or other side...close enough to the shore where coins can be found after storms? I know the real ships couldn't navigate the shallow waters of Mobile Bay but they could be blown in by a hurricane

harryoutdoors

May 26, 2012
Daphne al
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say ,"off Dauphin Island" do you mean like on Sand Island or Petit bouy or do you mean off the beach of Dauphin? I know quite a few ships have been known to sink in the old harbor..trapped by storms..and of course Bienville's Belona but I haven't known of any coins being found on the beach....maybe the sugar sands are more like quick sands or the old priest grabs them arrrr

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
No coins have been found on the beach. The coins I saw were all from old timers that shrimp east of sand island and back towards the harbor. Belona is still there and has yet to be searched. I have spent the last 40 yrs enjoying Petis Bois and I have never found a thing except aligators (I would not have believed it if I had not seen them)! After Hurricance Fredrick I found some nice CW stuff just west of the fort on the beach.

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was in 2005 it was all over the news, especially the Birmingham news channels and paper. A man was metal detecting on the beach in Gulf shores area after they had been dredging just off shore blowing sand back up on the beach to make the beaches larger after several storms. He found 4 Spanish Gold coins, and some private collector who remained anonymous purchased all 4 for 10 grand each. I will try and see if i can find the article and post.

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,Pro pointer, TRX,Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Beachhunter ID, whites bullseye ll pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Other
After Hurricane Katrina, I worked on the last subdivision,of five story homes ,before you get to Fort Morgan. While living in a campground, one of my neighbors there wrnt to the beach, digging his toes and feet in the sand, he thoght he found a shell with his toes when he pulled it out,it was a Spanish Gold Coin. He was excited,showed it to everyone. He showed me where he found it. I mite go back one day and look for another,lol,Justintime Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions