Old Silver Mine in Hancock County?

flex

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm researching Spanish era mining activities in the South, and stumbled across an 1858 reference to an old mine in Hancock County. According to an article in the Huntsville Advocate in 1858, an old silver mine had been re-discovered in Hancock County, Alabama. The mine, which had large trees growing on and around it, had been walled up with solid masonry. A group of Georgia miners were working the site, and it was reported that the ore was “very rich.” It is not clear where this mine stood, as its stated location, “in Hancock County, near the Morgan and Walker lines,” doesn’t make much sense, even if you look at the old county boundaries.

I've found no other reference to this beyond the one newspaper account cited. Has anyone else heard of this?

RonnieR

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2016
Priceville, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prior to 1858 part of Winston County was known as Hancock County, named after John Hancock.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pic. of old map dated 1866 showing that Winston County as Hancock County.

Great to see other folks on here from Alabama

IMG_1049.JPG

OP
OP
F

flex

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the additional information. I've gone back to the source, which is a short newspaper clip from 1857:

Moulton Democrat, 20 November 1857

Silver Mine in Hancock. We learn that an old silver mine has been re-discovered in Hancock County, in this State, near the Morgan and Walker lines. It is on the lands of a man named Blake and a party of Georgians are now at work at it. It was walled up with solid masonry, which had to be broken up with powder, and the mine was opened again. It must have been worked hundreds of years ago, as trees are now growing over and around it. The ore is said to be rich. A gentleman of intelligence has promised to visit it and give the readers of the Advocate an account of the mine – its value, appearance, history, etc., which we shall look for with much interest – Huntsville Advocate

Source: Sterling, Robin, (compiler), Lawrence County, Alabama: Newspaper Clippings from the Moulton Democrat, Union & Advertiser, 1855-1875. 2016. Robin Sterling's Books and Publications Spotlight

Although it seems to have quite a bit of detail, I've found no further mention of this supposed mine. At the time it was written, there was no Morgan-Walker county line, as the two counties lay on opposite sides of Hancock County. My best guess is that the author was referring to an area where the two counties once touched, now on the eastern end of the northern boundary of Winston County - perhaps somewhere around Grayson. From a geologic perspective, this part of Alabama seems an unlikely place for a silver deposit, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Dardariel

Oct 27, 2018
Canyon, TX
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the additional information. I've gone back to the source, which is a short newspaper clip from 1857:

Moulton Democrat, 20 November 1857

Silver Mine in Hancock. We learn that an old silver mine has been re-discovered in Hancock County, in this State, near the Morgan and Walker lines. It is on the lands of a man named Blake and a party of Georgians are now at work at it. It was walled up with solid masonry, which had to be broken up with powder, and the mine was opened again. It must have been worked hundreds of years ago, as trees are now growing over and around it. The ore is said to be rich. A gentleman of intelligence has promised to visit it and give the readers of the Advocate an account of the mine – its value, appearance, history, etc., which we shall look for with much interest – Huntsville Advocate

Source: Sterling, Robin, (compiler), Lawrence County, Alabama: Newspaper Clippings from the Moulton Democrat, Union & Advertiser, 1855-1875. 2016. Robin Sterling's Books and Publications Spotlight

Although it seems to have quite a bit of detail, I've found no further mention of this supposed mine. At the time it was written, there was no Morgan-Walker county line, as the two counties lay on opposite sides of Hancock County. My best guess is that the author was referring to an area where the two counties once touched, now on the eastern end of the northern boundary of Winston County - perhaps somewhere around Grayson. From a geologic perspective, this part of Alabama seems an unlikely place for a silver deposit, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Depends on the year...using Hal2K's map he loaded, I found when Morgan-Walker did meet...in 1853.

Here is a snippet followed by a link to the map itself.

Old-SilverMine.PNG
https://www.loc.gov/item/2018588059/

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Last edited:

Dardariel

Oct 27, 2018
Canyon, TX
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drew up some maps for ya.
Old-SilverMine.PNG
ArcGis-1.PNG
M-s2.PNG
M-s.PNG
Hunt-Location.PNG

Last edited:

CoosaCam

May 15, 2019
Montgomery, AL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks like it would be on the northeast side of Bankhead National Forest possibly near Andrews Chapel off Hwy 4.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread