Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found one. Did you find any treasure of consequence when you found one? Monty

OP
OP
Signs

Signs

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
Arizona
Monty said:
I've never found one. Did you find any treasure of consequence when you found one? Monty
I did't find any treasure. I have seen other types of markings such as pointers and arrows. Here is a pic of an arrow. This leads to a mine, but there are others that lead other directions that are still need to be explored

Attachments

• PICT0118.JPG
    PICT0118.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,878

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have occasionally found marks on the rocks and things but I just suspected they were put there by taggers or kids playing around. Guess I should look closer next time? Monty

OP
OP
Signs

Signs

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
Arizona
TxDragon55 said:
I have a friend who is well versed in Spanish markings. Would you mind if I show him your photo?
Sure that would be fine. I was doing some research last night an it appears that this might be a marker signifying a windrose clock ever hear of it. here is what i found on another post. Here is a different pic showing it on the boulder.

The concept of the windrose dates back to a magical mountain of Italian legend that was said to be riddled with caves and ancient treasures of kingdoms past. A rock monument on it's top was considered to be the cornerstone or axle of the earth. Columbus and the other explorers used it as a fixed point on land, from which to find their bearings. There are now different opinions as to what mountain it was. This is where the monks passed it on from. Here in the west, it is either a tree and stone, a stone stack or table rock and a boulder aside, or a cross on a boulder. This is the basic clocking grid for Spanish mining sites, mapped with a semi centralized "Windrose" clock axle (bolder, & tree or t cross carved monument). "Line in" is a mapped approach from out of the area, connecting overland triangulation, bridging one mineral zone to another mineral zone. Small triangles are infield sets; corner 3 is furthest away from the corner A apex (Apex is also a rock and tree monument). If you have a four digit map date to work with, use the last two numbers as individual compass digits in degrees, as you stand at corner 3 (example: 1847, 18_ _ , aim between 4 & 7 degrees, winged away from corner 2 as point 0). Each triangle reveals at least one concealed mine, and or the possibility of a second one, or low grade decoy mine and or concealed vent. Air vent positions vary and are in general, are floated map points. Some air vents have a small gold bar cache, 80 feet or so above them, between two rock sections.

Attachments

• PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 1,446
OP
OP
Signs

Signs

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
Arizona
There is a mine located up the slope from where the cross is depicted on the rock boulder. There are also rock monuments in the area one of which is directly above the spanish mine. No other marking were found at this monument. There is a day casa rock house and a well which is about 10 to 12 feet deep between the rock house and the mine. The mine is a vertical shaft about 90 feet deep that was no evidence of blasting. This shaft was clearly built early or late 17th century spanish miners and worked at sometime more recent history. There is now a steel bar across it that was used to lower gear into the mine. I lowered a video camera into the mine capturing the bottom of the mine. There are old wood planks broken at the bottom and appears to be tunnels that go off in mutiple directions. I reviewed many photos that I took from the cross in all directions and just noticed what appears to be a second cross much larger than the first one. It appears to be black. I thought at first that it must be a shadow but when playing around with trying to alter the image with brightness and contrast it clearly appears to be cut or imprinted on the large stone up the side of the mountain. I will have to do another trip to verify. Here are a few pics of the mine and rock house.

Attachments

• PICT0084.JPG
    PICT0084.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 2,833
  • PICT0070.JPG
    PICT0070.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,541
  • PICT0091.JPG
    PICT0091.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,010

Tuscoro

Sep 2, 2010
West
Well it appears you found enough to keep you busy anyway.
Might be a good idea to go in now? Wear a hard hat. :wink:
Good job and good luck. :icon_thumleft:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jason,

You never answered my email. Was that your website?

Best-Mike

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
Hey Jason, the last time you were supposed to meet us at the mine didn't the mountain lion run you off from the trail? I've been thinking about getting him stuffed lol

OP
OP
Signs

Signs

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
Arizona
hooch said:
Hey Jason, the last time you were supposed to meet us at the mine didn't the mountain lion run you off from the trail? I've been thinking about getting him stuffed lol
Yes, I left a note warning of any travelers that day in the area to be aware. its been a while since Ive been out there. Rattle Snakes have been seen on about every trip out there. Thought mabe I would wait for them to underground. That Mountain Lion certainly was a surprise I believe you called him old Ben. There supposely was an old Mountain Goat that protected this site as well that Milton Rose had spoken about in one of his writings that I believe he is referencing this mine.

OP
OP
Signs

Signs

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
Arizona
gollum said:
Hey Jason,

You never answered my email. Was that your website?

Best-Mike
Hey Mike, I just sent you an email in response. My computers have been having technical issues lately but I'm getting caught up again

Thanks

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
Signs said:
hooch said:
Yes, I left a note warning of any travelers that day in the area to be aware. its been a while since Ive been out there. Rattle Snakes have been seen on about every trip out there. Thought mabe I would wait for them to underground. That Mountain Lion certainly was a surprise I believe you called him old Ben. There supposely was an old Mountain Goat that protected this site as well that Milton Rose had spoken about in one of his writings that I believe he is referencing this mine.

Yeah it's funny, I was at your sisters house friday night for Josh's homecoming deal. We saw old Ben by the waterfall area back there about 6 months ago, he followed us up to the top of the mountain and cas crapping on the trail we were walking on. I was out there last weekend shooting over at rainbow rancho, did you notice how the cattle rancher put up a new tank next to his well over by our bunker?

OP
OP
Signs

Signs

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
Arizona
hooch said:
Signs said:
hooch said:

Yeah it's funny, I was at your sisters house friday night for Josh's homecoming deal. We saw old Ben by the waterfall area back there about 6 months ago, he followed us up to the top of the mountain and cas crapping on the trail we were walking on. I was out there last weekend shooting over at rainbow rancho, did you notice how the cattle rancher put up a new tank next to his well over by our bunker?
That moutain lion must be getting water from the nearby cattle rancher. I think there is a natural spring in the area that old Ben is hanging out as well. Thats the same spot I saw him last time. I think the spring may be near the cross on the boulder.

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
Hell they are hitting water in the ground at less than 70 feet out there so it is certainly possible. Met up with an old timer named Joe that lives and grew up back there, said that when he was a boy his father used to take him into the caves in the estrellas, said there were rivers of water that ran through there. Also told us that all the stuff we are looking for is on the east side of the mountain and that his tribe put all the treasures of the spaniards in the walls of that church out in the desert on their side of the mountain. He took us up to the skeleton in the cave thats on the backside of the apes head on the south end of the mountian, that was pretty cool.

OP
OP
Signs

Signs

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
Arizona
hooch said:
Hell they are hitting water in the ground at less than 70 feet out there so it is certainly possible. Met up with an old timer named Joe that lives and grew up back there, said that when he was a boy his father used to take him into the caves in the estrellas, said there were rivers of water that ran through there. Also told us that all the stuff we are looking for is on the east side of the mountain and that his tribe put all the treasures of the spaniards in the walls of that church out in the desert on their side of the mountain. He took us up to the skeleton in the cave thats on the backside of the apes head on the south end of the mountian, that was pretty cool.
I went to the Indian Tribal Center to see about getting access to look around that site on there side of the mountain. They denied me access said it was for my own protection. Any reason you think I couldn't just drive back there on the BLM Roads and take a quick look around. My concern is that this road is being used by heavily armed drug smugglers and are watching closely for any traffic on that side of the boundary

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
Signs said:
I went to the Indian Tribal Center to see about getting access to look around that site on there side of the mountain. They denied me access said it was for my own protection. Any reason you think I couldn't just drive back there on the BLM Roads and take a quick look around. My concern is that this road is being used by heavily armed drug smugglers and are watching closely for any traffic on that side of the boundary

Naa they just don't want you stumbling onto what aver secrets they are sitting on back there, wether it be somebodies gold, artifacts put in the walls of the church, the caving system or the ever so dreaded "lizard people," lol

ESC

Oct 12, 2006
Arizona
I've seen quite a bit written about that mine and area on the web. It's a fairly well known spot...I hope to get up there to look around one day.

mikewondo

Aug 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is the old Spanish Gold Mine in the Sierra Estrellas I know it well.....most of the markers are or have been done by hikers and explorers....there are no authentic colored markers that were used by the Spanish/Jesuits they only engraved into the stone or rock. This is a cool spot...but its a dead end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread