90 bars of gold hidden near some bordertown in..... AZ

C

crymess

OK well yesterday I was talking to my old man after reading an article in the paper about the 500mil treasure....Well he told me that in the early 1900's there was a robbery at a bank in Silver City.....the thieves were from Mexico and escaped...according to him authorities were following close so they had no choice but to hide the gold.....and take only 10 bars with them, for, the weight was too much to run away with it all...supposedly they hid the gold right in the border near from my city...the robbers all have died....but my old man's friend (who passed away last year) who was looking for that gold got a chance to talk to the only one that was still living in the 80's...this man told him that they never went back for the gold for they were afraid to get caught...The dying man said to this guy that the treasure was hidden at the side of a big hill.....My father's friend searched for the gold for years in both sides of the border but never found it......I want to know if anybody ever has heard about this legend....? or at least of a bank robbery in silver city of that magnitude..in the early 1900's...???.....this gold could be valued at around 500mil.....if i am correct....

K

Kentucky Kache

I think the robbers would have eventually gone back for the remaining 80 bars of gold. Still, I would research it and look for it.

OP
OP
C

crymess

when i said my father's friend talked to the last one alive.....i meant the last one of the robbers that was still alive and this was in the 70's...And yes jbot it's reasonable for them to have gone back for that gold....But maybe those 10 gold bars gave them enough money to live for all their lifes....remember they were being followed....and thanks jbot...i would appreciate if you find any information about this incident....

K

Kentucky Kache

Here's a document you can purchase from the Chicago daily tribune.
I don't know if it's the one you are looking for, but it might be worth a try.

ROB BANK IN SILVER CITY
Outlaws Bide Up Main Street of New Mexican City, Hold Up Institution, and Escape

Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963) - Chicago, Ill.
Author: Special
Date: Feb 13, 1900
Document Types: front_page
Text Word Count: 196

read the Chicago Tribune article

OP
OP
C

crymess

anybody else who has heard of this story???

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
An old TH-er (and dowser) friend of mine who died a couple years ago at 83 told me about a search he was on east of Douglas back about 30 years ago. He said the field work was tricky because of several houses on/near the target site. I don't recall the source of the loot, but your original story sounds a little strange - it seems to me a bank would not have 90 gold bars on hand, especially available for walk-in robbers. Some gold coins in the bank, yes, but bullion would more likely be in the possession of a freighter.

OP
OP
C

crymess

just remember that Silver City, NM used to mine gold back in those days and maybe they didnt steal from a bank maybe from a carrier as u might had said.

OP
OP
C

crymess

hey anybody else that knows extra info about this?

jxjl99a

Jun 15, 2007
I heard about this when I was in Ft. Huachuca, AZ, down by Bisbee, Agua P., and Douglas in 1968 when I was stationed there for a few months before I went to Vietnam. I worked for a lady, Ms. Roberts, who owned a motel in Sierra Vista on the main street on the weekends. She told me about the rumors of a treasure on the side of one of the hills down near the border. She actually, to get me away from the Army for a while, made me take her old Rambler by myself over to Tombstone so I could see it before I left. She was one of the nicest people I ever met.

OP
OP
C

crymess

hey jx its nice to know I'm not the only one that has heard about this treasure.....thanks...and what did you go see at tombstone before you left???

Homesteader

Apr 18, 2003
Silver City, NM USA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of a bank robbery that large in this area, but in the late 1800's there was a robbery of a wagon carrying gold bars coming into Silver City from the mining town of Mogollon.

Robbers made it to around 20 miles North of the Mexican border, down around the Tres Hermanas Mountains by Deming, NM. They hid the gold at the base of a red, pyramid shaped hill. Later, 4 of them were killed by a posse right at the Mexican border, but 2 of them made it across.

I've looked for the hill a time or two, but too many things happining in that area anymore to do it without a few heavily armed people. Kind of funny, but I had a cousin by the name of Myrtle Roberts who ran a motel over in Az also.

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
I see at least 3 solid treasure leads in this thread!! NICE!! Wish i lived closer, though.... (I'm a city slicker from chi-town ;) ) Also, there was a feller that lived in Deming, NM that used to put out a treasure-hunting newsletter coupla decades ago. Can't recall his name, now. But, I recall he moved there specifically to spend his retirement years following up all the treasure leads that existed within a 200 mile radius of Deming.Don't know if this helps any....It's just nice to participatye in such an awesome thread! steven.

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
I have some older research imformation,that may pertain to bits and parts of this thread. A old miner/prospecter named Charly Applegate ,was searching the area around Douglas Arizona in the mid 1930"s ,and at this time it was littered with old ghost towns and played out mines off various stripes,gold,silver , and copper,some of the towns were just one street long,their was a whole mix and mash of industry in this location.
Anyways to cut to the point, old Charly was searching a delapadated barn,that was full of rusted junk and old hay,when he uncovered a locked wells fargo chest,that turned out to contain gold bars, coins,bills and documents. Their is probably plenty left buried in the surrounding areas. I have read somewhere that some older drinking bars across arizona use to have on display broken stage coach money chests.I liked this story a lot, so I did more research,and typed up a script,that I am going to forward to the producers of The Deadmans Gun,shown on late night cable .

rrazrr

Mar 4, 2010
Bisbee, AZ
I live in Bisbee and heard about this along time ago. However, this story has the gold bars somewhere in the animas. But then if you're in Douglas, you could keep it easy and check out Davis Mtn. PM me if interested and I'll tell you a couple stories about that area.

BondJamesBond

Apr 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know if you are familar with the book "Gun Notches" by Thomas Rynning but, Rynning was the captain of the Arizona Rangers from 1902 on. He writes about the Alvord Stiles gang of robbers hiding gold shortly after their robbery of a miner south of the border and, hacking up part of the gold bars between the two of them and hiding the rest in Mexico. It is not Silver City but sounds familar to your story. You may be able to get the book through the inter-library loan system in your library or, you may have to go the special collections division of the University of Arizona library to read about it. This happened in Jan. of 1904. I think it may fit with the story you have come across. Good luck.

Bond

smdog66

Jan 26, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first post said your father spoke with the man in the 1980's, now its the 70's. Whats the story? or is it just that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions