jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can just imagine Coins in all Directions. Maybe a little Charred & bent But Fun to Find 8-)

Now "necez" ? Arizona ?

Ghost Town Or misspelling ?

Bismarck daily tribune. (Bismarck, Dakota [N.D.]), 08 Nov. 1907.

000aaa.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...t=&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=5

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
You gotta love those journalistic skills of the reporters in the old days, at work I tell folks I'm in charge of the work place newspaper since I have the best gossip!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 men killed, probably Mexicans. OMG Im rolling. Necez obviously went into extinction because of the high population! The operating mine for Montezuma copper was short lived (By records) The operator an employee of Phelps Dodge started employment in Nacozari Mexico. Very similar. He went on to practice law throughout Mexico. Necez is not on any ghosted town lists that I see. So maybe this was an attempt to start a town or region? No gold, silver or copper = No Town.

Love these newspaper clippings

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I missing something? I didnt see anything about coins in the story.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Flying coins!!!! Journalistic skills that man has. Someone farts people will hear about it!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The article shown does not mention coins because there were none. At least two cars were carrying freight for mines near Bisbee. My guess on the cause of the initial explosion was smoking, or a fire in a stove in a freight car. The first explosion caused the second, due to explosives being present in both cars.

I can not find a reference for Necez, Arizona. There were a few small hamlets on the Mexico side with similarly spelled names, so the article may simply be a bit off on geography. Poorly researched and written news was just as common then as now. That, and Douglas being on the Mexican border lends some credence to the idea that Necez may be in Mexico. It could also be the name of a now abandoned siding. Sidings, water stops, etc., had names. Most no longer exist.

There have been instances of freight cars being destroyed by outlaws attempting to blow safes, with at least three in Arizona resulting in widely scattered coins, but this was not one of them.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I'm guessing from their Pockets

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Possibly. First, find the location. The article provides many clues. Just a matter of follow up on all verifiable information.

Almost too late for more coffee.

Forgot the most important thing. Jeff posts these type of articles frequently. While I have not recovered anything due to the information posted, I have been able to add many pieces to various puzzles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions