Legends in the Grand Canyon

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
Gossamer said:
Ok, I have two questions. !. Has anyone heard of the Double Crib mine? 2. Does anyone know about a cave in the GC, that was written up in the Phx Gazette in 1909?
HELLO I NEVER HEARD OF THE DOUBLE CRIB MINE I DID READ ABOUT THE ARTICLE ABOUT THE CAVE AT THE GRAND CANYON I THINK IT WAS CALLED THE DEAD CITY OF THE GRAND CANYON I DO BELIVE BUT DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IF FOR IT WAS SOME TIME BACK WHEN I READ THE ARTICLE CHECK OUT GOOGLE.COM OR ASK.COM I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS. PLAIN OLE BUCK

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Type "Grand Canyon Egypt 1908" into Google and a bunch of links will come up - interesting stuff, but tough to sort out facts from fiction.

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
I have so much "information" and I know that story backwards and forwards. But you guys go out and md all over, I want to get down to some real info...LOL if that is possible.
There are several 'myths' that I would like to blow up, or confirm.
The double crib mine I can find only one reference to it, a picture and that piqued my interest.
thank you for the interest, I going to confirm or deny the stories... :tongue3:

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gossamer said:
I have so much "information" and I know that story backwards and forwards. But you guys go out and md all over, I want to get down to some real info...LOL if that is possible.
There are several 'myths' that I would like to blow up, or confirm.
The double crib mine I can find only one reference to it, a picture and that piqued my interest.
thank you for the interest, I going to confirm or deny the stories... :tongue3:

I would start by searching what parts of the canyon is off limits....as i have heard they restricted access to anyone and everyone because of "Dangerous Caves"....And these caves were possibly the ones from the legends! BUT you can raft down the entire river and as the story goes that i have read the caves of the legend was found above the river while on a journey down the Colorado........ ???

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
There is a tremendous amount of "information" in the wind. And ya' you would have to go down the river to even get a peak, but if they are what they are reported as being, there won't be any evidence for someone to float past and give a looksee'
There are legends of HUGE human skeletons all over AZ, NV, UT and of course in the mound areas. I want something concrete! Anyone can write about them, but I'm trying to myth bust a couple of these. I also think there would be legends of treasure around them.
Anything, anyone can contribute that is verifiable will be given the credit.
Janiece

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
I'm not sure there was ever a Double Crib Mine. About 1904, a set of 24 stereograph postcards were published by the H.C. White Company. They were taken on the Double-crib Copper Mine Trail, which is in Grand Canyon.
http://siris-archives.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?uri=full=3100001~!141868!0#focus

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
A little more research on the Internet reveals that Peter Berry operated the Last Chance Copper Mine. With profits from the mine he built the Grandview Hotel at Grandview Point. After the Santa Fe Railroad extended it's tracks up the canyon, the location of the hotel became known as today's Grand Canyon Village. The trail is now known as the Grandview Trail. It is the highest trail on the South Rim, and reaches an altitude of 7400 feet. In some places the trail was built on the edge of the canyon wall using double cribbing.

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
I remember reading about G.E. Kincaid and S.A. Jordon years ago. There is quite abit on the Internet about the discovery of the cave system as told in the April, 1909 newspaper article. The discovery may have happened in October of 1908. The story is possibly a hoax. Maybe it was submitted to the paper on April 1st, and the printing was delayed for a few days.

Gossamer, I suspect that you have already done a lot of research on this topic. Was the Granview Hotel orginally named, "El Tovar"? If Kincaid actually discovered a cave with Egyptian artifacts and mummies, will it be found near mile 56 in Marble Canyon? Was Kincaid a friend of or known by Peter Berry? S.A. Jordon was a citizen of what country?

It wouldn't take too long at the National Archives to verify whether there was a G.E. Kincaid. If he existed, he would be listed in the 1890 and 1900 Census.

Good luck!

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Odd that nothing else from this find came about.

Ancient Chambers Span Across Beneath Northern Arizona

Saturday, April 27, 1991
ARIZONA DAILY SUN, Flagstaff, Arizona

New Orleans (AP) -- Three young archaelogists came to Northern Arizona and crept through sacred rooms, over rocky precipes and by dangerous rattlesnakes to discover a huge complex of catagombs that could rewrite theories about the Indians of the southwestern United States.

"It's absolutely mind-numbing. We would have never believed it could have existed," John W. Hohman, one of the three archaeologists, said Friday during the meeting of the 2,000 member Society of American Archaeology. "It will change a lot of what we believed about Indians in the Southwest. They may have been far more advanced than we believed."

Hohman admitted to feeling a bit like Indiana Jones, the archaeologists-adventurer from the movies. Armed with a flashlight and a pistol, it was Hohman who rapelled down the steep fissures, frequently dotted with rattlesnakes sunning themselves on rocky outcrops, into the catacombs.

The catacombs his expedition found are the first reported in the United States, officials at the conference said. "It's very exciting to have it announced at this conference. It's one of the few times we can say this is a first. Anytime you have a first in our business, it's exciting," said Dr.James Schoenwetter, professor of anthropology at Arizona State University in Tempe, Ariz. "The idea of a very elaborate form of ceremonial chamber being built underground hundreds of years ago is surprising."

Indians of the southwest United States were not believed to have built underground, Hohman said. For many of the cultures the underground held special connotations, both good and bad, he said. Burials were also done much as they are done now, he said, in graves dug into the earth. The catacombs, which Hohman and colleagues say are about 700 to 800 years old, were discovered at a known prehistoric Indian settlement about two miles west of Springerville.
The Mongollon Indians occupied the site sometime between A.D. 1250 and 1400, Hohman said. "There had been some suspicion that there was something underground there," Adams said, "When we actually entered the catacombs though, it just blew us away."

Getting there wasn't easy. "Everytime I'd get halfway down one of the others would find the entry way, Hohman said. The carefully hidden entrances to the catacombs varied from the size of doorways to small crawl spaces. Once inside, Hohman and his colleagues found three to four acres of catacombs, ranging from small chambers to huge rooms 50 feet high and 100 feet long. "It's obvious that they were to protect the cattacombs," said White. ""The average person living at the site would not have had access to the area. It was probably entered only by certain people."

Hohman, Diane E. White and Christopher D. Adams were investigating the area for the town with an eye toward developing it as a recreation area. Hohman expects the site to produce at least one more major find. "We think there is something else underground there. We're working in an area that we think will produce another major surprise," he said.

The area, but not the catacombs, is open to the public, and will be developed into a recreational area, Hohman said. The park is expected to be opened within two years, he said. Called Casa Malpais, the site represents one of the largest and most complex ancient Mongollon communities in the nation, Hohman said.

Taken from KeelyNet BBS (214) 324-3501
Sponsored by Vangard Sciences
PO BOX 1031
Mesquite, TX 75150
There are ABSOLUTELY NO RESTRICTIONS on duplicating, publishing or distributing the files on KeelyNet except where noted!
September 2, 1993
CHAMBERS.ASC
This file shared with KeelyNet courtesy of Rick Lawler.
- [File submitted and upload by Linda Murphy. Springerville is located on I-60, close to the New Mexico border] If you have comments or other information relating to such topics as this paper covers, please upload to KeelyNet or send to the Vangard Sciences address as listed on the first page. Thank you for your consideration, interest and support.
Jerry W. Decker.........Ron Barker...........Chuck Henderson
Vangard Sciences/KeelyNet
If we can be of service, you may contact Jerry at (214) 324-8741 or Ron at (214) 242-9346

http://members.tripod.com/Dragonrest/chambers.html

kenb

Stryker_FO

Feb 22, 2008
White Mountain Lakes
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did hear near escudilla there was a catacomb found a while ago that held some spanish breast plates not sure if its related but its in the same vicinity.

Anyone else eve hear of this.. I grew up in that area never heard about the catacombs.

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
Igadbois, Kenb
Wow, and yes I done a LOT of research. Some say it is tied in with the a 'Smithsonian coverup', along with others trying to make history. And I mean make as in a cohesive timeline with no gaps.
We have learned that history and culture go back considerably further than anyone could imagine world wide.. but its strange that the US has no plan/info/desire (/) to find out about our deep history.
So yes there is this 'conspiracy' vibe that permeats this story, and until I either confirm or able to deny, I'm just doing legwork.
I'm pretty sure I know who SA Jordan is/was, and I've gone thru every census back to 1870, in most of the US. Kinkad doesn't show up in any, but variations and misspelling could be the problem. Kinkad claimed to be the first white child born in Idaho, that has been disproven, it was a girl that had that distinction. but census are good for timelines.
Kinkaid was also quite the story teller as was Jordan if he is who I think he is. At that time everyone seems to work for the Smithsonian. And the Smithsonian deny this adamatly to this day.
There was a lot of glossing over things and making the pieces fit in early the 1900s, certainly a lot of psuedo or not "scholars" had a bunch of fun coming west and naming everything flora and fauna, fishes... lol
And this is only one part of my puzzle. I welcome any and all input.
I also think there is more to the double crib mine, but haven't had the ability to go and do the research that I know would tell me either way.
I'm so spoiled by the computer, but some sources just aren't here. :icon_study: and
As far as Eygptian artefacts, I'm not convinced about it... remember there was a renaisance as Eygptian culture and items were very much in vogue at that time in Victorian society. Its a fascinating era.
Thank you for your interest, this all goes a lot deeper than we can imagine.
Janiece

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Janiece, I read somewhere that SA Jordan was form England and more of a subcontractor for the Smithsonian than an employee. I'll try and find the source of that info for you.

kenb

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
That is an interesting idea, about the Smithsonian. I've been in the archives and found some fun things, again timelines. Tracking potential people with documented historical events. And they sure did a good job of putting it down on paper.
I have the impression (nothing to back it) that it was 'fashionable' to be associated with the Smithsonian.
The catacombs are known, but what some don't understand is, again my opinion... that there is a massive underground complex/complexes running from beneath So. Am. all the way up thru Utah. Something I find interesting is an old map from National Geo. that shows all of the Federal lands... It shook me up 90% of the land owned by Gov. is from NM and running along the borders of AZ, CA, UT. and so on.
I'm sure its more now. But its a lesson.
I will post more later. :icon_profileright:
Janiece :icon_profileleft:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goassamer said:
what some don't understand is, again my opinion... that there is a massive underground complex/complexes running from beneath So. Am. all the way up thru Utah.

Now THAT is an interesting statement! The obvious follow-up question is...

What is it that causes you to have formed that opinion? Is there anything particular that you can share as to why you've come to theorize this?

There have always been stories and theories regarding massive underground tunnel/cave systems in the W/SW United States, but other than legends, I'm not sure much if any has ever been truly proven. In the true skeptic's eye, the only way to definitively prove it would to see someone enter one spot and come out weeks/months later in another hundreds or thousands of miles away - and even then, there would be naysayers who would claim that the person actually came out not far from where they entered, was transported far away, lay low for a few weeks and then climbed out all dirty and dusty with photos and stories to tell :)

I'm not saying you're opinion is wrong at all - on the contrary, it would be absolutely amazing if proven to be true and there's a part of me that believes there may be significant cave/tunnel systems (maybe not all the way to SA, but at least in the W/SW U.S.A.)

It would be great to see discussion amongst folks here on the topic - I don't really have anything to add other than a real interest!

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Say
I hate to bring this up ::)
But!
If you'd read my "post" about Doc & My "NW ARIZ TRIP" , you'd find that we're going to be up there
AND!
Something else, I hate to bring up ::)
That is, if you really want to get some information, why not go out and find it for yourself? :tongue3:
OR!
Heaven ForeBide :tongue3: , go along with a couple of Professionals ... :thumbsup:
DOC & I !
Just check that "POST" :thumbsup:
It's "Free"

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
This is the theory I'm working... Legends morph, its a fact.. Words change ... take the word gay, what did it mean in the 1900s? Certainly not what it means today. Slang and phrase are different. :argue:

Hey, this might come as surprise, (although I doubt it) maps have changed. I collect every map I can find. Railroad routes have changed, tunnels created so you don't have to go over a mountain on the old pass. :lurk:
:violent1:
And then there are new roads, buildings, and other civilization we claim are essential to our world. I once read about someone from one of our museums, get so happy when he learned that a an old building being torn down didn't have a basement. They let him in first and he found the skeleton of the mammouth camel under the foundation, known to have last been on the planet circa 8000 bce. :violent1:
:wave:
The Navajo believe they came up out of the ground or caves. They have a story of the people of two hearts. I found an interesting reference to that in an old journal.

The Sups have major legends about caves.
Geronimo was seen stepping into stone walls and disappearing, he was known to have used the cave system in the Sups and used it to confound the people after him. :wave:

There is Kartchner caves, discovered quite a while ago and kept secret, for fear that idiots would harm the fragile living cave. I'm so happy they cared, but would I like to know about their adventures.

They haven't even completely and may never map/explore that one system.
Grand Canyon caves (off the Rt. 66), and they did a smoke test ... can't remember all the details but they blew smoke into a cave in the GC and it came out in the GC caves.

Over the years, the GC Caverns name has been changed several times. After Walter’s initial Yampai Caverns, they were called the Coconino Caverns up until 1957, when they were changed to the Dinosaur Caverns, only to finally be called Grand Canyon Caverns in 1962.

Exploration of the Grand Canyon Caverns continues to this day as wafts of air and floor fissures indicate additional caverns below. Through seismic testing, it has been determined that there are four additional lower levels, the deepest of which is at 1500 feet.

Think of all that is under lakes and canyon thru the water reclamation act. Arizona has more parks and national monuments than any other state, more mountains than Switzerland, and more golf courses than Scotland. Even the people that flooded Glen Canyon lament the loss. Remember most of the lakes in the state are man made.

Cathedral caves, Ice Caves, Adama Cave, Lava River cave, Nipper ruins cave, Arsenic cave, Tules Tub cave, Bat cave, Indian cave, Chuichu Caves. It goes on and on ... they warn us off, and should these places are dangerous. This state is a known geologic treasure. And more and more is getting sucked up my our gov. I could go on forever, haven't even gotten into the Mormon connection. I'm trying to make or brake this story specifically as a start. I have an idea about the Dutchman too, but have to wait for a mathematician and there

Thinking, Thinking, Thinking... going back to go forward. :icon_study:
Janiece

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
hello I have reading your posts about tunnels and under ground caverns in arizona I read an article some time ago there there were two guys traveling I-40 stopped at a rest area by the two-guns did a bit of exploring about the place found a hole/crack that lead them down into a under ground tunnel or cave they did not know how it went the care taker told them to leave for it was off limits that all that I can remenber the cave was to the left side of I-40 going to flag. hope that this helps toward your reseach. Buck

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Stryker FO:
I know of a cave Near Escudilla that has mummies in it ! :thumbsup:
It is on Doc & My Trip Schedule for this coming '08 Trip..
Too Bad that you're living way! up there
Or!
We'd invite you to come along
Tell you what, tho !
I'll send you some photos if you'd like ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread