Is there Anyone here Near Sturkie?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Henry waited a few days and then returned to Pocahontas, Arkansas to see if the Confederate soldiers were moving onward. They did not leave until December 2. On December 4, Henry along with the looters warned the people of Sturkie that the soldiers were near by. Of course, once the people left, Henry and the others grabbed what they could from the homes. They then headed north out of town and stopped near by a spring around 4 miles out of town. They heard some soldiers coming their way and hid in a hollow that was close to 400 yards from the spring. At this time, Henry dressed in a Union Soldiers uniform that he had taken from a man he found lying dead on the road. Before the soldiers arrived, the men along with Henry buried their loot in a trench they had dug which was 2 feet deep. After the loot was safely hidden in sags and under the dirt, the soldier appeared. They were Confederate soldiers and they grabbed Henry and his fellow companions. Before they could even move, a group of Union soldiers arrived and captured all the Confederate soldiers, Henry in his Union soldier attire, and the looters.

Henry convinced the Union soldiers that he had been captured by the Confederate soldiers. All of the men except for Henry hung. Henry told the soldiers all the information he had about the whereabouts of the Confederate soldiers and their plans. Henry stayed with the Union army for the rest of the war.

Henry never made it back to the location of the buried loot but on his deathbed at the age of 77, he retold the story to Tom Hoots. To this day, no one has found the valuables that were stolen during the Civil War in Arkansas.

http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/treasures114.html

badluck

Feb 26, 2008
central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garretts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting that the story refers to Pocahontas and the only Sturkie I can find on an 1895 map of Arkansas is in Fulton County. It shows to be NW of Salem near the MO. border.

Seems there was another treasure story in that vicinity.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I was trying to figure that out also.....still looking.....as Pocahontas is about 75 miles away from Sturkie on todays map

badluck

Feb 26, 2008
central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garretts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A major road/trail went through the area from Pocahontas towards Springfield. Since, according to the story it took more than 2 days to go from Pocahontas to the spring site, it makes the story more likely.

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/historicalmaps/us_states/arkansas/index.html

Go to J.H. Colton map from 1855. Salem is named Pilot Hill and Sturkie would be near Bennetts R. Major 19th century interstate through there.

Attachments

• getimage.jpg
    getimage.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 467

cynikal

Sep 17, 2013
North Arkansas
Detector(s) used
nothing yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Sturkie, i had heard pretty much the same story as that ... i was googling any other info and found this site. We actually own land on both side of the South Fork River and have been told of springs dotting along it. A better location is Bay Creek that flows into it. if it is shallow as reported and what i was told it is probably washed out and in the Gulf by now.

Chickenhawk

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2016
Raymore Missouri, Elizabeth Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a farmer that lives over that area by straberry river that is north west of salem towards mammoth springs that has plowed up war relics with his tractor in a field that's by a creek on his property I'm pretty sure he has found some gun parts just the barrels the wood was already deterated

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread