Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cross Hollows

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    46 times

Cross Hollows

Some 20,000 confederate soldiers wintered in a valley known as Cross Hollows southeast of Rogers, Arkansas. Barracks extended for a mile down the valley. The encampment also served as a supply depot to support the Confederatesí advance into Missouri. Realizing the Federal army was approaching rapidly from the north and fearing they might overpower the camp, the commanding officer ordered a retreat. There were not sufficient wagons to carry the stores of rifles, ammunition, and field cannons. A large trench was dug into the south ridge along the valley and the supplies were buried to prevent them from falling into the hands of the Federal army. The Confederate army never returned to Cross Hollows and the extensive cache of Civil War weaponry remains hidden somewhere in this beautiful valley near Beaver Lake in northwest Arkansas.

I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

um
    Sgt Jim ................................... "Prince of Pennies"

Sep 2005
    Chillin' in the Panhandle (Leon County)
    Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
    11 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Cross Hollows

Somewhere around here?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...num=1&ct=image

What's your best guess on the location, Gyp? Somewhere toward the arm of the lake there?!
    We are slaves of the law so that we might be free. -Cicero

THE LAST PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION WAS NOT A CURE FOR AMERICA'S PROBLEMS, IT WAS A SYMPTOM OF THE DISEASE!!!!

us
    Aug 2008
    9 times

36deg 16min 41.22sec North 94deg 06min 49.49 West This is where the roads cross in the bottom of the hollow and where the plaque is (was) located.Havent been there for thirty years and am sure things have changed a bit.Wasnt much public land in the area back then and land owners seldom allowed anyone not close on the property.Knew one kid who lived in the hollow who found some bullets and coins with a cheap detector on his folks place.There were a few times that people said a search had been conducted and some claimed that trucks secretly hauled loads out one night in the mid 60s . Also many times the land owners had to run people off who were trying to sneak around looking for sign . Hope this helps. Have fun!

us
    Jan 2008
    arkansas
    bounty hunter

There is some land about a half mile from where the camp was that I cant Md I just havent got to it yet.

us
    Jul 2009
    Lowell,Arkansas
    Garrett Ace 250 Fisher 1212x automax v4 pinpointer

I live about 1.5 miles from there. If anyone has permission or knows who to contact for permission to explore, I've got some pretty good knowledge of the history and layout of this area.
    Life's a garden.....Dig it!!

Kentucky Kache

That's a cache that sounds like it would be pretty easy to locate, being spread out like that. I hope one of you finds it.

us
    dalton

Dec 2008
    mountainburg formally from lowell
    whites classic id, spectrum xlt, fisher f7, fisher 1266, king of all Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Vaquero
    185 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    yall i have permission to go up there. we had a confederate camp and a small skirmish where we lived about 500 yrds from the hollow. i know almost everyonr there so let me know. i have found thousands of bullets, buttons, cannon ball fragments, and field hospital gear. along with a few sharps rifle parts. oh yes and anyone really interested i have the whereabouts of where a big confederate camp was where i personally watched a csa plate come out. let me know. my number is 479-217-0892 name is dalton
    sabolt likes this.

us
    Jul 2013
    NW Arkansas
    GARRET ACE 250
    11 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Heart View Post
    Some 20,000 confederate soldiers wintered in a valley known as Cross Hollows southeast of Rogers, Arkansas. Barracks extended for a mile down the valley. The encampment also served as a supply depot to support the Confederates’ advance into Missouri. Realizing the Federal army was approaching rapidly from the north and fearing they might overpower the camp, the commanding officer ordered a retreat. There were not sufficient wagons to carry the stores of rifles, ammunition, and field cannons. A large trench was dug into the south ridge along the valley and the supplies were buried to prevent them from falling into the hands of the Federal army. The Confederate army never returned to Cross Hollows and the extensive cache of Civil War weaponry remains hidden somewhere in this beautiful valley near Beaver Lake in northwest Arkansas.
    I live near beaver lake Arkansas. If anyone is looking into this. Ill offer one advice for you.

The Legend states a Large trench was dug.. and along a ridge at that. In the Military my Job was Route Recon. And Land Navigation. And looking for IEDs buried in the ground. Ect ect. I was a Combat Engineer.

So here is my advice. Since a large quantity of relics were buried it would be very easy to just walk up to its location with out using GPRS or Metal Detectors.

Look for Depressions on the land. When some thing is buried over time the ground sinks around the objects... I would say the ground would be 4-5 inches lower after a 100 years. being it might have or was along a ridge I wouldn't be surprised if the elements haven't revealed anything yet. Rain fall from the ridge would push the ground even lower today it might even look like a ditch.

Just look for the obvious if anyone wants me to tag along with them for a over view for the search Just message me I do live in NW Arkansas.

Good Luck

us
    Aug 2009
    west plains,missouri
    xp deus
    2 times
    I was there several years ago and talked to the landowner about detecting there he said absolutely no detecting!

us
    dalton

Dec 2008
    whites classic id, spectrum xlt, fisher f7, fisher 1266, king of all Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Vaquero
    185 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That's odd. I just left from down there the other day. I have permission to all of the lower valley And up on top. I also have permission to the confederate camp and union camp very near there. I will be going back up there soon once my ankle gets better so let me know if anyone interested. I lived up there for a long time in the cross hollows area and know all the old timers

us
    Jul 2013
    NW Arkansas
    GARRET ACE 250
    11 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_war22 View Post
    That's odd. I just left from down there the other day. I have permission to all of the lower valley And up on top. I also have permission to the confederate camp and union camp very near there. I will be going back up there soon once my ankle gets better so let me know if anyone interested. I lived up there for a long time in the cross hollows area and know all the old timers
    Well if you want some extra eyes let me know I never made plans to investigate this future but would be some thing to do

us
    dalton

Dec 2008
    185 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I will buddy

us
    Jordan

Jun 2013
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    At pro/Garrett GTI 1500
    10 times
    Im in. I would love to find some relics

us
    dalton

Dec 2008
    185 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well I got some permission to some killer spots

us
    Jul 2013
    NW Arkansas
    GARRET ACE 250
    11 times
    Cache Hunting
    Sounds good

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast