SPANISH treasure cave, DeSoto

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have investigated a cave that is to believed to hold a treasure of possible the DeSoto travels, in side is helmet on top of a chest in the rear of the cave. This story was passed on to me by an old Native American, who saw inside the cave. There were skeletons near the enterance of the cave where a booby trap activated on some poor soul. I was told that it is dangerous and has a curse on it , thus booby traps, this person did not venture any further into it. I have a possible location of this cave and I was wondering if anyone out there has heard of this story or anything close to it, before I venture into a search of this area.

Thanks,

Harvest

pictlaw

Feb 12, 2011
I have heard of sevelar stories in Arkansas of Spanish gold being in caves in the Ouchita river valley area from when the Spanish came through in the Caddo Gap area there was a major battle between the Indians and the Spanish from what i have read the Indians put the smack on them good they where the Tulla tribe they actually inflicted some major losses on the Spanish Hence if you are on the run and think your enemy is going to finish you bury your treasure and hope to come back latter.I have heard of two specific caves in the area through orral legends and one third genration family story pass from my grandfather of snakes being carved in rocks and old trees and treasure caves. One cave by the story is near a city water reserve area and that it was discoverd in the 1920 by two young boys hunting for racoons at night on fell through a hole near a tree into a good size dug out cave he had a light with him and held it up and saw a bunch of old wooden chests and swords and armor and funny hats made of metal.This cave is coverd with rocks peiced togther to look like part of the hill and the boy said he could see moon light through the cracks of the rocks.This story was told to me when i was 15 and the man that told me was in his 80s.

tlm5000

Jul 8, 2013
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The Spanish King, Charles II, decreed that all treasure in North America that could not be brought back to Spain before the American Indian revolt of 1685 was to be buried at least 30 feet deep or 30 feet of tunnel from the outside of the mountain. Penalty for a burying treasure too shallow was death! Hundreds of Spanish mines “pickled” (stored) refined bars of gold and silver at least 30 feet deep. Extensive death traps were incorporated to prevent the occasional robber from stealing the treasure (Do your research of “Death Traps” before digging for treasure!). Spain did send expeditions back to open old mines and send refined bars back to Spain. Many sites are still waiting to be found as the ownership of the land changed hands from French to American, Spanish to American, and many miners never made it back to Spain with the secret code to relocate the hidden caches due to time, death, disease or tragedy

Fox Hound

Jan 29, 2017
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20170117_152336.jpg IMG_20170117_153524.jpg I found these a couple weeks ago. I don't know where to start...

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try posting them pictures on treasure signs and symbols fox hound. You might get some responses there. Interesting though. Did you take the pictures near Caddo Gap?

Fox Hound

Jan 29, 2017
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you maccounty. I had to look up Caddo Gap. I took these in Logan County, north of Havana, Arkansas. I've heard of two other de Soto carvings in Logan County but I haven't located them yet. Both finds pictured above are very interesting!!!

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome. Here in Dardanelle, I found a slab of limestone with Louis Bringer's initials carved in it, along with old mining tools. Bringier was a surveyor and Prospector commissioned by the Spanish government to locate gold and silver deposits in Arkansas (Louisiana territory then) Bringier was from New Orleans. Lots of cool history in Pope, Logan and yell counties of Arkansas

DanielFrew

May 31, 2015
Dover, Ar
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stories of treasure in Arkansas are limitless. In my feeble mind I see most rock art and markings (i.e. Caricatures) as a form of expression by early natives or as a way of marking early trails. However I know that there are some that are hard to explain. Such as the one I have attached.

chain.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread