ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always quiet in here. I suspect it will pick up a little bit when the weather cools.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am primarily a coinshooter, and of course I like the old stuff. Old houses, schools, churches, etc. are my favorite places to hunt. Most of my hunting is done in agricultural fields, which has it benefits. First, I have yet to find a farmer that minds if I poke around in his field so long as the crops are out and I don't "rut up" his field roads when its muddy. Second, the digging is easy, and I don't have to be that careful. Of course I always fill in my holes, but its not like I'm digging in a manicured lawn. Third, every year the fields get plowed and always seems to turn up stuff I missed in previous years. Also, because the field is plowed yearly, I would think it would be difficult for a coin to get too deep and out of range of a detector.

I'm in NE Arkansas. This is farm country, and back in the day pretty much every 40 acre field had a least one house on it, so there are potential sites everywhere. The downfall is that these were all pretty much poor dirt farmers' and hired workers' houses and they simply did not have that much money to lose. There are almost always a few coins on every site, but the odds of digging up that mason jar full of gold coins (or any gold coin for that matter) is VERY slim.

With the price of gold where it is, I may hit a few swimming holes this year. Its not really my thing, and the thoughts of digging nothing but clad all day does not appeal to me at all. But, a few gold/platinum rings might change my mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread