Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the lost wash pot treasure of Missouri Falls?

In 1900, Arthur C. White came to Montgomery County, Arkansas with a map to a treasure. No one living in the area had ever heard of any treasure in these parts and Mr. White did not say a word about how he was in possession of the map and if he knew who or when the treasure was buried. He did give the account that two wash pots were buried filled with gold. One wash pot had $100,000 and the other is believed to have $60,000. Today, this amount of gold would be worth a considerable amount more.

Mr. White followed the directions on his waybill or map and did find the wash pot that held $100,000. He could not find the other wash pot which was suppose to have been buried close by however, not in the same exact spot. He left with the treasure he had found and never came in search of the other wash pot.

It is believed that the wash pot containing the $60,000 is still buried somewhere close by Missouri Falls. Missouri Falls is around 30 miles west of Hot Springs where the Little Missouri River flows. Here you will find Missouri Falls and maybe if you bring along your Geiger counter and a shovel you may find the wash pot full of gold on today’s market worth a quarter of a million dollars.

mcraeb87

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2007
Is this area not in the Ouachita National Forest property? I was thinking that it was and that it would be impossible to search in this area. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcraeb87 said:
Is this area not in the Ouachita National Forest property? I was thinking that it was and that it would be impossible to search in this area. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

You are correct! Sorry about that...I saw this article under "Hidden Treasures" and did not take the time to search current issues of Missouri Falls. Beautiful area, maybe someone swimming the the falls will find some money. Who knows?

littlemissourifalls_001_m.jpg
Little Missouri Falls, Ouachita National Forest​

Arkie John

Feb 8, 2007
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250; Explorer; Excalibur II
Treasure at Missouri Falls???

The only thing you will likely find at Missouri Falls with a shovel and a metal detector is TROUBLE, in the way of a visit to the Federal Magistrate, confiscation of your detector and/or vehicle and the fine.

The Feds are very serious about this and Missouri Falls is located on federal land. Be responsible and don't make negative headlines for the hobby. ;)

aj

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AJ,

I'm just posting legends/tales from the www. I did go back and explain that yes, this is a National Forest. I know better and you know better no detecting allowed...it's illegal.

;) RR

Arkie John

Feb 8, 2007
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250; Explorer; Excalibur II
Hey RR; I wasn't meaning to sound 'harsh' but...

just attempting to warn my md buddies of the situation.

There are federal lands open to metal detecting, but these guys can be real jerks.

The photo of the actual falls is about all there is to the specific site. There is one basic pool and the rest are like rapids (very slippery moss-covered).

I liked the story though. Thanks for posting.

aj

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful place to visit.

Fossis...................

tlm5000

Jul 8, 2013
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice little legend. Did some research on the guy who found the 100k pot looked up his relatives and his decedent's along with some other instigative work very interesting legend. His family knows nothing about him oh well.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just attempting to warn my md buddies of the situation.

There are federal lands open to metal detecting, but these guys can be real jerks.

The photo of the actual falls is about all there is to the specific site. There is one basic pool and the rest are like rapids (very slippery moss-covered).

I liked the story though. Thanks for posting.

aj
Just got back from detecting the falls and surrounding areas. Lots of junk and modern clad. Very interesting mineralization in the adjacent bluffs though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread