The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi eagle look at fox news the cali couple who found the gold now has to pay half to the irs. whether they sell them or not. nobody can win with out someone taking for nothing. dave
I would expect no less from our illustrious government. All in all, if they pay the exorbitant tax, I think that would end any other governmental claims. (Maybe).

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted the following in the "Treasure Legends - California" forum. I just thought I'd share it here.

I just finished reading this artical: Could newly discovered gold coins be the haul stolen by disgraced San Francisco Mint employee in 1901? Treasure hunting enthusiasts weigh in on origins of couple's $10 million find | Mail Online But, I noticed that the "Disgraced Employee" stole only $20 gold pieces. Plus, even if these were the pieces he stole, I seriously doubt that he would have buried them sequentually, according to the years they were minted. So, by my thinking, it seems that there might be another hoard buried out there. Probably closer to the SF mint. Come to think of it, I remember reading about someone finding $20 gold pieces scattered around a vacant lot in SF. I believe it was in the "Best of Treasure Net", about 3 or 4 years ago. Now I'm wondering how far that lot was from the mint.

Another of my posts:

Now that I've taken the time to think about this find, there's another distinct possibility. Up to the early 1900s, miners could take their gold to the mint and exchange it for freshly minted gold coins, (after the mandatory mint fees). It is possible that this is how these coins were accrued. Perhaps once a year, a miner made the trek to San Francisco and exchanged his gold for coinage. If that's the case, there could very well be a rich "lost gold mine" in the near vicinity of the find.

Anyway, it is something to think about. (lol)

Eagle

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
The cache found recently had some 5 and 10 dollars pieces as well as a rare 5 dollar piece from Georgia that was missing its enscription, In God we Trust

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cache found recently had some 5 and 10 dollars pieces as well as a rare 5 dollar piece from Georgia that was missing its enscription, In God we Trust
In those days, I would probably want some of the coinage in smaller pieces. That way, if I stopped in at a saloon to socialize a bit, I wouldn't have to flash those $20 pieces. That was a months pay for many and probably worth getting knocked in the head (or even killed) for. Since prospectors came from all over the U.S., the $5 piece 'could' have been change from one of the $10 pieces. Sorry Brother, just trying to cover all of the bases. (lol)

I do love to speculate.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is something that concerns all of us and our freedom. If you are a Patriot and would like to remain a free American, I would suggest you listen closely to what he has to say. He has an excellent reputation for accuracy and saying what other media is afraid to talk about. And for Gods sake, if it concerns you, share it with others. Don't be part of the fearful "Silent Majority".

Last edited:

leenie

Dec 30, 2006
Northwest Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro xp dues
hi eagle how hard would it be for the cali couple to find who owned the property in 1845 to 1895 that the gold was found on? the longer this story goes the harder it is to believe their side. when people lawyer up and won't give out their names make me think they know who's gold it is. I hope it's nice cali now it was 0 here last nite with more to come. global warming my donkey. stay happy my friend. dave

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi eagle how hard would it be for the cali couple to find who owned the property in 1845 to 1895 that the gold was found on? the longer this story goes the harder it is to believe their side. when people lawyer up and won't give out their names make me think they know who's gold it is. I hope it's nice cali now it was 0 here last nite with more to come. global warming my donkey. stay happy my friend. dave
I would say that it would be virtually impossible for that time frame. When the "Rush" began, the land was owned by whomever claimed it, and could hold on to it. It was many years later when the filing systems were established in CA. So, until then, there would have been no documented ownership. Unfortunately, I don't know when the system was established, but just guessing, I would imagine it was when the railroads came into the state and the Feds started awarding tracts of land to the railroad companies. Then again when the railroad companies started selling parcels of land to people for townsites. And frankly, I'm just guessing here.

But in any case, a prospector could make a good strike and salt away a goodly amount of gold then lose his life due to an accident or Indians and everything would be lost to history. Possibly, the only ones who remembered him would be a couple of saloon rats who would wonder; "Whatever happened to good ol' "set 'em up Harry". (lol)

The weather here has warmed up a bit, but we've had 3 days and nights of rain and it's still raining. With the run-off on the hill where my RV is, I'm surprised I haven't read about any flash floods yet.

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those folks in California who found the gold coins on thier land should have kept it quiet, and sold off one or two coins at a time over an extended period of time to various buyers in many locations, all done 'low level and under the radar'. Once you broadcast such a thing, all the rats come out from the sewer systems looking to get a piece of the action, including hungry lawyers and the gubmermint parasites.:laughing7:

Thanks EagleD for posting the David Hodges video- excellant truth, sadly most citizens of the USA won't pay attention until it's to late!

Last edited:

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As per your lost mine and bins of ore, lost a good friend about a month ago, Lowell Dexter, died prior to reaching 100. He used to have a trucking company. Would pack equipment to and from the local mines, as well as pack hi grade to Sonora. Had a lot of interesting stories, one being- one of his drivers lost brakes on truck and lost a trailer over the side 'where the road splits and a pine tree grew in the center of the fork'. Load was hi grade ore going to Sonora. They got the truck out, but left the ore (this was back in the 30's?). When Lowell was telling me these stories, he was 70+, we were gonna make a road trip, but never did. He broke his hip at a Clamper dance when he was 86, went downhill ever since. Lost a great library!
Shep

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As per your lost mine and bins of ore, lost a good friend about a month ago, Lowell Dexter, died prior to reaching 100. He used to have a trucking company. Would pack equipment to and from the local mines, as well as pack hi grade to Sonora. Had a lot of interesting stories, one being- one of his drivers lost brakes on truck and lost a trailer over the side 'where the road splits and a pine tree grew in the center of the fork'. Load was hi grade ore going to Sonora. They got the truck out, but left the ore (this was back in the 30's?). When Lowell was telling me these stories, he was 70+, we were gonna make a road trip, but never did. He broke his hip at a Clamper dance when he was 86, went downhill ever since. Lost a great library! Shep

Great little story Shep! That one fires the imagination!!

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle,

I'm glad to see your thread doing so well.

I feel sorry for the people that found the cache (gold coins: 10 million) as it looks like they're going to be facing a variety of battles instead of simply being allowed to enjoy their find.

If it turns out there's something more sinister at work, that will really ruin the whole thing too.

I like your theory that it wasn't the guy that stole the coins from the mint. You're a great thinker.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sad to hear that another member of the greatest generationhas left us....

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notice to all of my great readers: This morning, (03/04/14), I will be taking my computer in to have it cleaned and reformatted. So, I won't be answering posts until I am back 'on-line'. BUT, THAT DOESNT MEAN THAT YOU GET TO TAKE A REST, (lol)

Keep on posting your questions and comments and I'll catch up on replies when I return.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Rik

Sep 27, 2012
Merced, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to dig some holes tomorrow. I'll be heading toward Briceburge, with a stop here and there on the way. I should be gone by 8:00am. If you're going to be in the area and want to meet up, let me know before 8.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle

Eagle........hey Eagle!!!!!........zzzzzzzzzz......

I think Eagles a sound sleeper. Lol.
I'd a fixed his computer, but that'd mean he'd have to come here and enjoy our warm weather.
Still waiting to go run these hills with him. lol.
Better yet, me heading up there. Just don't think wife would go. Plus I'd need at least a couple ounces. Since I'd leave her around Disneyland area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread