The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

DaleCoarsegold

Greenie
Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been inactive here since not long after Walking Eagle passed away. Not sure why, but got thinking about him again and all the great folks here. I did some research and finally found his obituary info. He is buried at the San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery at plot C-7: : 718A. I sure would like a link to his book to download if anyone still has it! Here is a link to his grave. https://billiongraves.com/burial-record/Robert-Allen-Franklin/100549017

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been inactive here since not long after Walking Eagle passed away. Not sure why, but got thinking about him again and all the great folks here. I did some research and finally found his obituary info. He is buried at the San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery at plot C-7: : 718A. I sure would like a link to his book to download if anyone still has it! Here is a link to his grave. https://billiongraves.com/burial-record/Robert-Allen-Franklin/100549017
Thanks for the information, well done!

All the best,

Lanny

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the privelege to meet EagleDown and went on one outing with him down on the Merced River. He came into my shop and we talked treasure, goldprosepcting and his work with opals. What a gem of a man, thanks for posting the location of the cemetary, next time I am down in the area, I will pay him a visit.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had the privelege to meet EagleDown and went on one outing with him down on the Merced River. He came into my shop and we talked treasure, goldprosepcting and his work with opals. What a gem of a man, thanks for posting the location of the cemetary, next time I am down in the area, I will pay him a visit.
Got to know him through phone calls and communications over the Internet--fine person indeed, and full of incredible information garnered from research and from boots on the ground prospecting. A great loss when he left us. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny,

That's for sure, I enjoyed his stories about his early exploits in the southern Motherlode region, he spent a great deal of time on the Merced River and surrounding area exploring old legends of the Spanish and Mexican expeditions to the area.

Happy New Year and Good Hunting to you!

Rickyoz

Oct 7, 2016
Shellharbour NSW
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have come back to this thread, starting from the beginning, remembering just how much pleasure Eagle gave to so many people. That I would ever meet him, or look at his stamping grounds except through his eye, was highly unlikely, seeing as I am in Australia. However, his tales are still enjoyable, so many years later. That we have lost Eagle is still sad, I regarded him as a friend that I had not met yet. I was unaware of the files that were available for a while, so that is something I missed out on, but to still reread his tales on these pages is gold as well. Gold comes in many forms, his tales were one of the most valuable. Thank you again Eagle, you are still sadly missed.

Rick.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have come back to this thread, starting from the beginning, remembering just how much pleasure Eagle gave to so many people. That I would ever meet him, or look at his stamping grounds except through his eye, was highly unlikely, seeing as I am in Australia. However, his tales are still enjoyable, so many years later. That we have lost Eagle is still sad, I regarded him as a friend that I had not met yet. I was unaware of the files that were available for a while, so that is something I missed out on, but to still reread his tales on these pages is gold as well. Gold comes in many forms, his tales were one of the most valuable. Thank you again Eagle, you are still sadly missed.

Rick.
100% agreed.

All the best,

Lanny

mariposagoldbag

Sep 7, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone, my name is Mike, also known as MariposaGoldBag. I was a close friend of Eagle for several years before his passing. I apologize for my absence and not being able to answer any questions that may have arisen since then.

For those interested in Eagle's book, I was helping him put it together before he passed. He had completed the writing and photos, and I was assisting with formatting. Before he died, he told me, "my book...ummm....do whatever you want with it." I took this as him not wanting to burden me with getting it done, but I believe he would have wanted it to be published for others to see.

I initially released the book as a PDF for the community here on Treasure Net, but it was not suitable for printing. I have now customized and published it as an ebook on Amazon, keeping all of Eagle's writing unchanged. I did not want to profit from the book, so I set a reasonable price, but Amazon's fees make it difficult to offer a low price. I tried to offer a free coupon code, but that would have required upgrading to a service where Amazon would have exclusive rights to the book.

My goal is simply to get Eagle's book out as he intended, and I hope I am doing the right thing. If anyone is interested, here is the Amazon link. I hope everyone is happy with this decision to finally make Eagle's book public.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You , Mariposagoldbag,
This is very nice of you.
I sure miss Eagle Down, and his contributions to this site.
I would love to have a physical copy of this book, but understand the printing costs, vs. potential return. Just old school I guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread