The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Us "goldtimers"[sic] aren't immune to them, we just have an understanding with them. They don't bite us, and we won't eat them. (lol)

Eagle Is it considered bad in the Native American culture to eat the rattle snake or is it just a prospector thing? You got any crazy gold mixed with rattlesnakes stories?

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Had some rattlesnake chili that was pretty good, but I would hate to go out snake hunting every time I wanted to make a pot...

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just reading thru. There was a KFC here in Oakhurst and did very well. Steve, the owner and his wife built a great business. Sold it for top dollar to a raghead family out of Bakersfield. Not trying to be prejustice, but they ran it into the ground, rebuilding one of their other stores. Miss a local KFC, but worse part of this story is, Steve bought some condos in Phoenix and was murdered there about 6 months ago.

Take care all, Shep

And not to be prejudice , was it a mexican national that murdered him ? sad story !

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My luck ( knock on wood ) in all these years out in the woods i've never seen a rattlesnake LOL i've seen others types just none with rattlers and i've spent some time at hunters valley all over up there.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle Is it considered bad in the Native American culture to eat the rattle snake or is it just a prospector thing? You got any crazy gold mixed with rattlesnakes stories?
Sorry CharlesP. There were/are so many different Native American Nations in what is now the united states that it would take a lifetime of study to determine all of the different beliefs concerning the rattle snake. For instance; The Hopi use rattle snakes in Sacred Dances. There are other Nations that wouldn't kill one unless it was absolutely necessary, (for safety or survival). I've been known to eat one or two rattle snakes. (lol) I didn't eat them for survival, I ate them because I had killed them and didn't want the meat to go to waste. (A little of the Spiritual in there too). Besides, they taste just like chicken. (lol)
Sorry again, but I don't even remember reading any stories about gold and rattle snakes. :=(

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Squaw Leap has some of the biggest no shoulders I have ever seen.
I think think Florida has some of the largest rattle snakes in the U.S. Which reminds me of one of the most embarrasing moments in my life.

One day, while patroling on Longboat Key, I recieved an emergency call of a rattle snake in a yard. I arrived at the home and the owner took me around back to show me the snake. Yep, it was a big ol' diamond back. That sucker was about 7ft long and acted like he hated the whole world, Now you need to realise that when I went through police officers training, I was classified as an expert with the hand-gun. From the standard 30ft, I could fire from the hip and put 6 rounds in a 3 inch circle,

Well, I pulled my ,357 magnum, took aim, (from about 7ft. away), fired........and missed! I aimed again, fired.....and missed again. In all, I missed 3 times, before it dawned on me that I was too close to use the sights for aiming. (lol) Then, I just stuck the revolver out in his direction and put the fourth round through his head.

Unfortunately, I still wonder what the home owner told his friends about the cop who couldn't hit a big rattle snake from only 7 feet away. (lol)

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I'm the "Rick" you are referring to, but those eyelets could be from a drag line or even just an excavator. Bucket dredges are monsters and leave a huge amount of evidence of their work.

I went back to tempt that wall yesterday. I found two little nugs half the size of the one you saw and some small flakes. The river is flowing so fast and choppy that I couldn't set up a sluice. Having to pan really slowed me down. A ranger and a black and white drove by while I was picking. Nothing from them but a nod and a wave. I would have shooed me off if I were them.
Rik, let me know when you go back down to the river. Maybe I can meet you there. (Or anybody else for that matter).

Last edited:

dmiser

Sep 22, 2012
Don Pedro
Detector(s) used
White Eagle ll Fisher 1265x2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vini's video brought back alot of good memories of Bagby. In his video he isn't thirty feet from where I first started dredging there in 1986. Thats where I learned to dive and dredge it took three weekends to find an ounce of gold. Dan

jonesy

Sep 26, 2004
central Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well rattlesnakes can " dodge " bullets when my boys were small we were hunting arrowheads in central ca. my son said dad there s a big snake!! i said stand back and daddy will take care of it. whipped out my pistol and emptyed the clip Missed it every time finaly took care of it with a stick lol kinda red in the face in the end

angelus2k5

Mar 12, 2013
San Bernardino
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold that thought Brother! It's not as 'far fetched' as it might sound. I don't want to disclose ALL of my secrets, but I'm working on something that might make any treasure in that mine a lot easier to locate, (before we start digging).

I'm going to try to get back down there on the 3rd or 4th of May, to start the tests. I'll let you know for sure before then.

Eagle

PS; I'm not sure about the strong backs, but "weak minds" would be easy. We'll just recruit some MSM 'reporters' to do the digging. (lol)

hey eagle, if your in need of a strong back i can help out with that. me being only 25 years old i should be able to shoulder almost any heavy labor. besides i wont mind lending a hand when it comes to digging for gold so long as a nice sized nugget ends up in my pocket:laughing7:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well rattlesnakes can " dodge " bullets when my boys were small we were hunting arrowheads in central ca. my son said dad there s a big snake!! i said stand back and daddy will take care of it. whipped out my pistol and emptyed the clip Missed it every time finaly took care of it with a stick lol kinda red in the face in the end
Always hated those Ninja Snakes. (lol)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey eagle, if your in need of a strong back i can help out with that. me being only 25 years old i should be able to shoulder almost any heavy labor. besides i wont mind lending a hand when it comes to digging for gold so long as a nice sized nugget ends up in my pocket:laughing7:
At my age, I might need a lot of strong backs. (lol)
I'll definately keep you in mind My Friend.

RiverBoarder

Apr 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle,
Thanks for sharing your memories w/ us! I have been lurking these pages for many a year but decided to register so that I could thank you for sharing. After reading your stories I just mght buy myself a pan and a detector.

Peace,
Ken

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle,
Thanks for sharing your memories w/ us! I have been lurking these pages for many a year but decided to register so that I could thank you for sharing. After reading your stories I just mght buy myself a pan and a detector.

Peace,
Ken
Halito My Friend,

Thank you for coming out of the shadows!! (lol) And welcome to our thread.

If you do decide to purchase a detector, may I recommend Mike at Woodlanddetectors.com? Good prices, and complete customer service. Something you won't find at most sales sites.

Hokay, that's my "spam" for the next year or so. (lol)

Love and Respect,

Eagle

mariposagoldbag

Sep 7, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everybody! Me and a friend of mine were down at Bagby on Wednesday and came across a couple of snakes on the road.

KingRattle.jpg

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Goldbag how is the 5000 progressing. Had much time to swing it yet. Were you able to sell your 3500? I am betting that canyon is warming up at Briceburg these days.... Best of luck...

mariposagoldbag

Sep 7, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Defiantly liking the 5000 though I haven't been out with it as much as I would like to be, still working on the 3500 if you know anybody. And yeah, its heating up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread