The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Eagle. Just saying hello from AZ. Been a bit since I've been online. Been busy. Still haven't found my nugget detecting. I think I need better ears, eyes, arms and legs. Lol
I took my mother out the other week to lynx creek by Prescott AZ. Had a blast digging, classifying and panning. Moms getting the hang of it. I wound up taking about 2-1/2 gallons of classified material back home and panned it down to cons. Then went back to the valley. She called me up and couldn't believe the amount we found. Got a couple nice pickers. They were like ground pepper corns. Didn't weigh it yet but she's hooked.
I would've detected it but I thought they wouldn't let you detect plus use mechanical devices. Then as we were driving there I read from the blm that you can detect below high water just can't use the gold bug. Don't know if they meant highbanker or detector, but needless to say I learned I can do a bit of material using the super sluice and then just bucket those cons.
Now if I could get to Cali to visit ya. Sorry I'm not on google maps at moment, but how far are ya from Fresno. I could use that trip as excuse to visit and pan/detect with a master.
Hope all is well with you as well as our other friends there. Oak. Sorry for your loss, but love your outlook.
Keep it up Eagle and hopefully see ya in near future or any of the other friends here.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Eagle. Just saying hello from AZ. Been a bit since I've been online. Been busy. Still haven't found my nugget detecting. I think I need better ears, eyes, arms and legs. Lol

Now if I could get to Cali to visit ya. Sorry I'm not on google maps at moment, but how far are ya from Fresno. I could use that trip as excuse to visit and pan/detect with a master.
Hope all is well with you as well as our other friends there. Oak. Sorry for your loss, but love your outlook.
Keep it up Eagle and hopefully see ya in near future or any of the other friends here.

Halito My Friend,

I've been pretty busy myself. First it was winterizing the motor home, then, I met a man who owns a ranch outside of Mariposa. Turns out that there is an old mine on his ranch that supposedly was producing quite a bit of gold when it was shut down in about 1941. (WW11) Anyway, I have permission to work the mine if I want to. I've been checking it out a bit, now my next trick will be to go in with the metal detectors and see if I can pick up some of what the old timers lost. Who knows, maybe I'll be a "thousandair" yet. (lol)

I live about 30 miles North of Fresno just off of highway #41. A little town called Coarsegold. You're welcome to stop by anytime. Though, I hope you have a camper, (or at least a tent), as there's little room in the RV.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got my tent and truck to sleep in. Keeps me off the ground. Got permission for a mine huh. Maybe I should come sooner than later. Lol.

angelus2k5

Mar 12, 2013
San Bernardino
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halito My Friend,

I've been pretty busy myself. First it was winterizing the motor home, then, I met a man who owns a ranch outside of Mariposa. Turns out that there is an old mine on his ranch that supposedly was producing quite a bit of gold when it was shut down in about 1941. (WW11) Anyway, I have permission to work the mine if I want to. I've been checking it out a bit, now my next trick will be to go in with the metal detectors and see if I can pick up some of what the old timers lost. Who knows, maybe I'll be a "thousandair" yet. (lol)

I live about 30 miles North of Fresno just off of highway #41. A little town called Coarsegold. You're welcome to stop by anytime. Though, I hope you have a camper, (or at least a tent), as there's little room in the RV.

wow a mine how intriguing. im sure you know this eagle but there would be no short supply of volunteers in helping you explore that mine. and im sure it goes without saying that we all hope your careful while exploring that mine. if you ever need a hand dont hesistate to ask im sure we would all love to be "thousandairs" with you (i'll settle for hundredair).

BritinCA

Mar 4, 2013
Cameron Park
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
AT Pro
MXT Pro
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Eagle and members of TNet,

I subscribed to this thread several months ago and read each line eagerly awaiting the next installment of your life's work and recollections; and as it has already been said what a life you have all lead. I have found with this site such a comradery that instills me with hope that people if given the chance are good at heart and have something of value to say.

I want to thank you Eagle and the many others who have given me and a host of others invaluable information/reference to this honorable lifestyle ( I can't see why it is called a hobby as even as it's most elemental level people who only prospect at weekends/infrequently have a liking of the outside, nature and hold value the "simpler" things in life. Admittedly I would not want to be without Directv)..

I have been enthralled with your recollections of times past and wish I could see what you have seen.

Again many thanks, and please continue in taking these memories and committing them to this thread.

Sean.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my tent and truck to sleep in. Keeps me off the ground. Got permission for a mine huh. Maybe I should come sooner than later. Lol.
Like I said; Anytime my Friend. But, as for the mine, I need to check it out first and see if it's feasible.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow a mine how intriguing. im sure you know this eagle but there would be no short supply of volunteers in helping you explore that mine. and im sure it goes without saying that we all hope your careful while exploring that mine. if you ever need a hand dont hesistate to ask im sure we would all love to be "thousandairs" with you (i'll settle for hundredair).
I just keep remembering a news story from back in the '90s. Everybody in the area had been laughing about 2 guys who had bought a "played out" mine that had been shut down for years. Well, these 2 stupid guys went into the mine with metal detectors and a week later had over 1 million $$ in gold. (Out of the sides of the tunnel). (lol) All in all, in less than 2 months, according to the news story, they took out close to 3 million. Not bad for a "played out" mine. (lol)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Eagle and members of TNet,

I subscribed to this thread several months ago and read each line eagerly awaiting the next installment of your life's work and recollections; and as it has already been said what a life you have all lead. I have found with this site such a comradery that instills me with hope that people if given the chance are good at heart and have something of value to say.

I want to thank you Eagle and the many others who have given me and a host of others invaluable information/reference to this honorable lifestyle ( I can't see why it is called a hobby as even as it's most elemental level people who only prospect at weekends/infrequently have a liking of the outside, nature and hold value the "simpler" things in life. Admittedly I would not want to be without Directv)..

I have been enthralled with your recollections of times past and wish I could see what you have seen.

Again many thanks, and please continue in taking these memories and committing them to this thread.

Sean.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
Thank you for your glowing post. You're absolutely right. All of the prospectors I've known in my life, all of them had a deep love for outdoors and nature. You can see it when they stop working their pan to watch a bird in flight, or a couple of 'crawdads' fighting over their little bit of territory. (lol)

Again, thank you for your post!! I truly appreciate it. And, rest assured, I'll be writing down more memories, as they show themselves.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Took my two youngest kids up to a spot I know has gold but trying to find this source isn't easy. On our way my youngest boy couldn't believe the road we were on. Riding the top ridge of a mountain. Steep views of valleys on both sides. Made me wonder why the forest service made this road out of a hiking trail. Lol. What a view!!!

It's quail season and didn't bring my gun, but that's ok. I'd a taken a picture of the covey of 30+ quail that greeted us, but they're faster than me these days to picture them. Next time I'm down there I'll take a pic. Took a sample from the creek/wash that feeds a spot I found gold in before about a mile downstream. No luck at all. Either didn't dig deep enough or it was too fine to see it. Another wash above this location produced some color a couple months ago, but wasn't much. 10 gallons produced around 10 fly poops. Not much.

So now I've got to pack it in and dig and test. Just thick growth and no handicap trail. Ughhhh!!
I know it's there. Just need the energy to get through overgrowth.

familyhunter

Oct 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle I finally have a free sunday and will be coming up this sunday I will probly be their at daylight as usual to do some exploring and maybe some digging if you can make it up it would be great to see you its been a while. I talked to randy not long ago and he doesnt seem like he can make it up this year so hopefully next year talk to ya soon.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle I finally have a free sunday and will be coming up this sunday I will probly be their at daylight as usual to do some exploring and maybe some digging if you can make it up it would be great to see you its been a while. I talked to randy not long ago and he doesnt seem like he can make it up this year so hopefully next year talk to ya soon.
I guess you mean that you'll be on the river?

angelus2k5

Mar 12, 2013
San Bernardino
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just keep remembering a news story from back in the '90s. Everybody in the area had been laughing about 2 guys who had bought a "played out" mine that had been shut down for years. Well, these 2 stupid guys went into the mine with metal detectors and a week later had over 1 million $$ in gold. (Out of the sides of the tunnel). (lol) All in all, in less than 2 months, according to the news story, they took out close to 3 million. Not bad for a "played out" mine. (lol)

thanks alot Eagle. now i want to go and investigate that mine even more. if only i didnt have a mortgage payment to worry about i would go buy myself a new toy and be waiting for when you want to check that mine out. well if you need help on the manual labor front im sure my job wont mind me calling in sick to turn a regular weekend into a nice long and productive four day weekend lol. i know its been said before but hearing your stories Eagle makes me envious as to the things you have seen. by the by did you ever try looking for that mine that you and your brother were told about that produced gold that looked like copper wire?(its one of your earlier post where the old prospector showed you and your brother a ball of gold that looked like it was made of gold wire very similar to how copper wire looks like)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I only went out the one time that I wrote about. It might seem that I was crazy for not going out more times and trying to find it, but you have to remember that gold was only $35.00 an oz. ($32.00 after the gov. took out refining fees). And, the only place you could sell it legally was to the government. So, it wasn't high on my priority list. (lol)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick note; I'll be on the river just past McCabe flats at about 9am Sunday morning.
If you can be there, you'd be welcome!!

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle miss ya brother. The rain made me think of you the other day. When the rain falls the creeks run. From what I read you seem to be doing well. Take care brother have a fun Sunday.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle miss ya brother. The rain made me think of you the other day. When the rain falls the creeks run. From what I read you seem to be doing well. Take care brother have a fun Sunday.
Thank you for the well wishes! Yep, I'm doing well. Just wondering when you'll have some time to go out with me and see how this dry-washer works. (lol)

Just a quick update; I just returned from Briceburg. If anyone had planned on going down-river, give them up, (unless you entend to walk). The river is closed at Briceburg until the Gov. "Shut Down" is over.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
They are spending more money enforcing the shutdwon than if it were open. Un-FN-believeable. Glad to see the veterans remove the barricades from the War Memorials and the Lincoln Memorial today

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you close a river?
I think I've found a solution to the government problem, the lead ammo ban problem and the condor problem:
There are currently 435 condors in existence: California Condor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The is by law (and an interesting coincidence) 435 members of the house of representatives: United States House of Representatives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If each of these representatives had a one way ticket to Outer Mongolia with a condor as their carry on baggage, then we wouldn't need a lead ammo ban or a closed river. :laughing7:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll guess they locked the gate. I would suggest these, better than American Express, don't leave home without them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread