Argus Mtns, California gold ore cache

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
San Gabriel/Los angeles Calif.
Detector(s) used
tracker iv
Tuberale said:
Going through my treasure cross-reference index, and thought I'd post some of the thousands of leads I have. This one came from Terry's Treasure Map Atlas, page 27.

Did i miss it? I don't have that book or map atlas you speak of.

~Scott

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Thomas P. Terry's "Treasure Map Atlas: A Complete 50 State Map Guide to Lost Treasure in the U.S.", copyright 1974 by the author, published by Specialty Products, 2233 South 22 Street, LaCrosse, Wisconsin, 54601. My copy is apparently the second printing, since that is included from October, 1975. The first printing was March 1974.

No much I can provide without breaking copyright. Said to be in a cave, somewhere in the Argus Mtns. of Inyo County. A hidden canyon nearby. Don't know what that last part means. Box canyon, maybe?

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
San Gabriel/Los angeles Calif.
Detector(s) used
tracker iv
Ah.. I see, thank you for the response..I'll have to get that book.
There seems to be many caves in that area one being dorrs cave from years ago..
Thanks again, i'll look for that book.

~Scott

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Several more possible information sources, thanks to pegleglooker. When I started work on my cross-reference index in the 1970's, I didn't consider the possibility of poor spellings. But they exist and can affect everyone's ability to research.

Under Earl Dorr's lost placer gold, I have references for The Complete Guide to Treasure Hunting on pages 215 and 224; an article which appeared in True Treasure for Winter of 1967, p. 20; and Penfield's Treasure Guide to California, page 77.

I also have a reference to "RI, 4", but I don't have all my sources entered yet, and don't know what this is. Definately Earl Dorr (Dour, Door) is the central character, and located in California.

There is also a Cave with an Iron Door, but that's in Oklahoma.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you look at the earliest source and see where they got the info ( usually a list at the back of the book )...and if it's the same Dorr I'm thinking about, then you may want to search court records in California as well......

Have Fun
PLL

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Neither Penfield nor Marx left their original citations that I am aware of. Many of Penfield's came from early newspaper clippings. It's possible a historical society nearby might have some reference to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread