Bloody Springs, Lassen County, California

DaCapt

Apr 24, 2011
Reno,Nevada
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the California Trail proceeded south into the SacramentoValley on the Pit River route, wagon trains and travelers were often ambushed by the natives. Bloody Springs, at the lower end of Spring Gulch, was the scene of numerous attacks, hence its name. Smaller groups were often wiped out.On one such occasion an entire emigrant train was massacred by the Indians. Only one man survived to tell the story. Finally, he made his way to Fort Crook, telling of how the train was carrying approximately $60,000 in $20 gold coins. Before he made his getaway, the man witnessed the Indians competing to see who could throw the shiny disks across the Pit River Gorge. The "contest” continued until each and every one of the gold coins was either in the river or lodged into the rock walls of the gorge.

Today, an occasional gold piece is still found at Bloody Springs in Lassen County. Bloody Springs is located a few miles southeast of Pittsville above the banks of the Pit River.

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites Gold Master, Whites TM 808, Garrett AT PRO, H3 Super Alien
Primary Interest:
Other
DaCapt

Have you checked out this sight your self. It is on my list of places to visit this year. And was wondering about access to the area.

OP
OP
DaCapt

DaCapt

Apr 24, 2011
Reno,Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried to locate "Bloody Springs", but no luck as of yet. I have talked to locals and they have no idea where it is located. I've checked maps and still no luck. The land is a mixed bag of private and Federal lands.
Maybe you'll have better luck than I. HH!

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I will keep in touch. Should be a good place to spend the day.

OP
OP
DaCapt

DaCapt

Apr 24, 2011
Reno,Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watcher 2, if you decide to come up this way, give me a holler. I live not too far from "Pittsville". Maybe we can find the "bloody place" LOL! HH!

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
DaCapt.

I was hopeing to find a local who knows the area. I would be up for an adventure. Will be in touch.

Watcher

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to a little research. Fort Crook would have been near where Fall River Mills is now. Which is not disturbingly far from me. I still can not find anything saying who owns the area surrounding the Pit River though. I know part of it is in the Shasta Lake domain, Which is the U.S. Forest service, and would make it off limits.
But at least part of it is BLM land according to this, but notice it says the park was closed a couple months ago.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/alturas/pit_river.html

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Twisted One,

Is there any indication when the Pit River Recreation Area will reopen. Is it still open to day use. Like is there a gate. Is this area close to the area we are looking for. Is it close to the spot named Bloody Springs. Is this just a nick name for a section of the Pit River.

If the weather is holding. I am ready to make a trip up your way. The water level should be down now and ideal for hunting.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could find something to give me a better idea of the exact location of "Bloody Springs". I would try to narrow it down a bit, land marks, etc.
But so far all I know is he was able to get to Fort Crook from where ever they were hit by the Indians. It doesn't even mention how long it took him to get to the fort.

I will skim a bit more and see if I can find any additional information on the story, or any other stories that mention that location that might give me a better idea.

I may not be able to make it up that way until May or June, but if I get a chance to scout it out a bit before then I will post what I see.

As far as the park being open, I only know what the site said about it, I need to stop in at the local BLM office and pick up a couple more maps of nearby areas, and when I do I will ask them about that area and see if it was just seasonal, or a budget thing, and see about more details from them.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! brought up the general area in google earth. Most of the area looks like private land, farms from what I can see. And it looks like the diverted sections of the water for their fields.

I think I would need to find a map of the old area, preferably with the roads that were traveled back then, and how the Pit river flowed. Might be nice for a site seeing trip this summer, but a waste of time for looking for that gold specifically without some kind of marker.

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like the trick is going to be to find an old map that can identify the section of the Pit River that is or was once called Bloody Springs, And which side of the river the old California Trail, proceeding south into the Sacramento Valley on the Pit River route, was located. Knowing where the wagon trains were ambushed would also be a good place to start the search.

Last edited:

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I will be in the Redding area for a week or so. Did anyone ever get a good location on Bloody Springs. Nearby road or bend in the river. Something to narrow down the search. Has anyone ever been there. I would be looking for a hunting partner if one is available. I will also be checking out a couple of other lost treasure sights if the area. A local guide would be very helpful. I can bring new technology to aid in the search.

NorCalJoe

Greenie
Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bloody srpings

DaCapt.

I was hopeing to find a local who knows the area. I would be up for an adventure. Will be in touch.

Watcher

I realize this was posted some time ago....however I have lived in the area my whole life. The Stories you hear about people finding gold is all BS. The terain there is impossible to medal detect since it is all volcanic rock...5' boulders. There are no roads to the area...it is private land, there are very bad people that squat there in abandoned shacks who do not like outsiders. An old man that lived there recentley passed...his house and property was stolen, and the people moved in. I highly suggest anyone attempting or thinking of going to this area rethink their options. This is the wild west. Nobody I know has ever found anything. The area also has been buldozed for the Railroad.....which is also no possible to follow. I have been up there and will tell you it is a wild goose chase in hostile terrain and the peopel that live there are as well. They enjoy their way of life and do not like being disturbed. If you do decide you still want to try this I suggest you insure and have umbrella coverage on all your items, bring a sattlite phone since there is no cell service, and have a back up plan for your vehichle. It will not survive the road, if you park and walk....plan on walking for days. Bring lots of water, in the winter you need snow shoes, its about 5-6 thousand feet. And I have never found a damn thing. I would brag about it if I did. The stories you hear are just that. I even know many indian families here and none of them ever remeber any elders speaking of this. Total waste of time and dangerous.

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like you are just trying to scare everyone off. It is a 2 mile hike in. That is true. But not a hard treck. The road in is rough in spots. But a 4x4 is not required. The area has been gone over by any treasjure hunter who could find it. But that dose not mean it is picked clean. Plan for a full day or two adventure. It is not a quick in and out. Good hunting to all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread