jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The herald. (Los Angeles [Calif.]), 01 Aug. 1895.

starting point:
1.jpg

Needs more research

The herald. (Los Angeles [Calif.]) 1893-1900, August 01, 1895, Page 2, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Interesting, but doesn't mean there was ever necessarily buried loot. Imagine if you were in the posse that caught the guys, and they still had the gold on them. What's to stop you from pocketing it, and merely telling your superiors later "shucks boss, there wasn't any gold on them durnit. They must've buried it". While in reality, you pocketed it.

Don't get "lost in the example". Just saying that there's tons of scenarios where, even in spite of cool faded newspaper clippings, that a treasure simply doesn't exist.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.jpg

I agree. nothing is 100%.

not even this

The herald. (Los Angeles [Calif.]), 31 July 1895.

2.jpg

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/l...camp+crossing&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

the word "Probably" is not an Affirmative ! either .

but all leads & research , must start somewhere.

add to that with a Metal Detector, You can miss plenty of Targets in the ground.
even so.
in the 1800's there were no Metal detectors being used to search the area.
they just lifted rocks & Dug holes :tongue3:
=====================

apparently your glass is Half Empty.

images - Copy.jpg

mine is at least half full.

images.jpg

your welcome to Share yours & top mine off

glass-of-water.jpg

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Here's another example of stolen loot stories, that , in reality, might have no "stolen loot" to hunt for:

There's a late 1800's story in my area, of a Chinese fellow, in a china-town fishing village district, who had the only safe amongst this community of Chinese. So over time, all the other emigrants of this area began to entrust him with their money and valuables. He sort of became a defacto banker, simply because he had a safe.

Then supposedly the safe was stolen. And a long complicated story of lots of clues to its whereabouts (which makes for a fun treasure story).

But as I read the story, being a kill-joy and skeptical of all such stories, I ask myself "what alternatives could there be?". So try this one on for size: If that Chinaman had in fact squandered away the money (drug habit ? bad investments ? or just felt like stealing the other people's $$ ?), what would be the perfect cover story ? To simply say : "Someone stole it" and "he went that-a-way".

Again, don't get lost in the example, but just sayin' :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread