Lamb Canyon California Treasure

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Lamb Canyon Treasure?

Beverly Gardner can think of family legends when she travels Highway 79 down Lamb Canyon between Beaumont and San Jacinto. None of the Lamb family tales are more intriguing than the legend of buried precious coins.

If she ever is worried about driving the modern, four-lane highway in the dark of night, she can seek inspiration from ancestors who faced a lot more challenges traveling the route.

Her great-grandfather, Elijah Lamb, homesteaded the canyon in the late 1800s and hauled mail in his stagecoach that somehow made it up and down the rugged canyon road between Beaumont and San Jacinto. The location of the family homestead can be seen by looking for a stand of trees on the east side of Highway 79, a short distance downhill from the entrance to the Lamb Canyon Landfill.

Her grandfather, Edgar Lamb, lived on the homestead too and continued running the stage line. Gardner, who works as a tax preparer, was born 70 years ago near San Jacinto in a home on the Poorman Ranch where her father, James Lamb, served as foreman. She has listened to relatives tell family stories, including tales about her late Uncle Frank Lamb that probably mixed fact with colorful embellishments.

According to those legends, he lived in caves on the homestead, completely abstained from baths, beat a murder rap as a teen after killing someone in a fight and escaping from prison by posing in a coffin as a corpse and rode a bicycle into the mountains to tend sheep.

Legend also has it that he was a miserly sort who buried precious coins near the homestead. "Everyone was looking for the coins he got on a merchant's ship when he went around the world," she said. Gardner's sister, Mary Flake, wrote in a family history that her Uncle Frank used to disappear during campfire story-telling sessions at the homestead and return with silver coins.

Gardner said her relatives never found the coins. She thinks they may have been discovered and taken by hikers. Maybe not. The Treasure of Lamb Canyon could be waiting to be found.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story Gypsy,
There is also a story of a stage robbery in the late 1880's. After the stage left Beaumont and headed west, the stage was robbed. The posse caught up with the robbers but, shot them dead. Story goes that the gold was buried in the badlands that go west and south west of Beaumont. Which is just north of Lamb's canyon. I have been back in this area for awhile. There is a canyon called Massacre canyon with old lime kilns and I was told of some petroglyphs in the area as well.

Attachments

• Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 5,380
  • Picture 069.jpg
    Picture 069.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 4,648
  • Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 4,218

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleglooker said:
Good story Gypsy,
There is also a story of a stage robbery in the late 1880's. After the stage left Beaumont and headed west, the stage was robbed. The posse caught up with the robbers but, shot them dead. Story goes that the gold was buried in the badlands that go west and south west of Beaumont. Which is just north of Lamb's canyon. I have been back in this area for awhile. There is a canyon called Massacre canyon with old lime kilns and I was told of some petroglyphs in the area as well.

Where is Lambs Canyon and the site you are talking about. I tried to google earth it and google search, but couldn't find anything on either.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,
If you notice the water to the left that is Buscarelli Lake. Named by De Anza for Viceroy Antonio Buscarelli. Locally we call it Mystic Lake because during the summer heat it evaporates to almost nothing.

PLL

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Gypsy,
I went out today to look around, but the underbrush was waist high and tough just to walk through. I'll wait a month or so and retry.. Here are some pixs for ya..

PLL

Attachments

• lambcynredants.JPG
    lambcynredants.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,961
  • lambcyn3.JPG
    lambcyn3.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 3,006
  • lambcyn2.JPG
    lambcyn2.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 3,015
  • lambcyn1.JPG
    lambcyn1.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 3,509

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I know this is an old thread, but I live five minutes from Massacre Canyon. I've always wondered why there were fireplaces in that canyon. There's also a small teepee or something built into the left side of the canyon It's got a small entrance hole, and it's open at the top. Inside, there's bricks.

If you travel down Gilman springs road, by the Scientology center, there's a bunch of small fireplaces on the north side of the road. I've always wondered about those as well.

Any one in town want to go for a hike up Massacre? PM me.

Nuggets4me

Jan 1, 2012
Hemet/San Jacinto
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleglooker said:
Good story Gypsy,
There is also a story of a stage robbery in the late 1880's. After the stage left Beaumont and headed west, the stage was robbed. The posse caught up with the robbers but, shot them dead. Story goes that the gold was buried in the badlands that go west and south west of Beaumont. Which is just north of Lamb's canyon. I have been back in this area for awhile. There is a canyon called canyon with old lime kilns and I was told of some petroglyphs in the area as well.

I found this website searching for answers as to "what" the structures were along the trails. I was there yesterday and the water is flowing really nice off the first waterfall! :) What about that hollowed out teepee looking thing in the mountain? My brother who also grew up here has always heard that early settlers used those to burn trash? I don't know but I am curious! My husband and his friend panned the streams just for the heck of it last weekend to no avail... :BangHead: As for the petroglyphs, any idea where they might be? If they aren't covered by SPRAYPAINT? >:(

TheSentinel

Jan 29, 2012
Beaumont, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spoke with a customer at American Prospector in Temecula talking about Massacre Canyon and how there's a mine with tailings that he's been metal detecting lately. He didn't seem to care much who's property it was (I told him its CA Dept of Fish and Game).

moondog2000

Mar 19, 2010
Beaumont California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT,MXT,GOLD MONSTER 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend and I took our detectors to the area where the old lambs homestead was at by the trees. We did not find anything but what looks like a 22 bullet. The ground appears to be turned over by gophers so we found no traces of a foundation and we did not find any iron like nails . Our detectors are good for a foot on big iron and we had no hits. I guess if a big fire goes through there and burns off all the brush I'll go back and try it again. I will try to load some pics but I don't seem to have any luck . What is a url ? and how would I load it.I have some pics on my desktop in a folder but can't seem to get them to this post.

moondog2000

Mar 19, 2010
Beaumont California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT,MXT,GOLD MONSTER 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lambs canyon

I might have figured the pictures out. My bullet find, some pics that look like the place where the house might have been IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0007.JPG

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Where the heck is there a mine up there? Sounds like I've got some exploring to do. I also read in desert mag, that they found a grave up near the west entrance to the water tunnel, when it was being built.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I don't know if these caves are related to this story or not. If anyone is around Reche Canyon, and has time, maybe they could check them out.
33º58'02.80"N 117º12'00.08W

sevenduce

Greenie
May 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lamb Canyon Treasure?

Beverly Gardner can think of family legends when she travels Highway 79 down Lamb Canyon between Beaumont and San Jacinto. None of the Lamb family tales are more intriguing than the legend of buried precious coins.

If she ever is worried about driving the modern, four-lane highway in the dark of night, she can seek inspiration from ancestors who faced a lot more challenges traveling the route.

Her great-grandfather, Elijah Lamb, homesteaded the canyon in the late 1800s and hauled mail in his stagecoach that somehow made it up and down the rugged canyon road between Beaumont and San Jacinto. The location of the family homestead can be seen by looking for a stand of trees on the east side of Highway 79, a short distance downhill from the entrance to the Lamb Canyon Landfill.

Her grandfather, Edgar Lamb, lived on the homestead too and continued running the stage line. Gardner, who works as a tax preparer, was born 70 years ago near San Jacinto in a home on the Poorman Ranch where her father, James Lamb, served as foreman. She has listened to relatives tell family stories, including tales about her late Uncle Frank Lamb that probably mixed fact with colorful embellishments.

According to those legends, he lived in caves on the homestead, completely abstained from baths, beat a murder rap as a teen after killing someone in a fight and escaping from prison by posing in a coffin as a corpse and rode a bicycle into the mountains to tend sheep.

Legend also has it that he was a miserly sort who buried precious coins near the homestead. "Everyone was looking for the coins he got on a merchant's ship when he went around the world," she said. Gardner's sister, Mary Flake, wrote in a family history that her Uncle Frank used to disappear during campfire story-telling sessions at the homestead and return with silver coins.

Gardner said her relatives never found the coins. She thinks they may have been discovered and taken by hikers. Maybe not. The Treasure of Lamb Canyon could be waiting to be found.
I've looked all through his Homestead and a cave I found pretty close to it..found nothing

sevenduce

Greenie
May 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've looked all through his Homestead and a cave I found pretty close to it..found nothing

i have a old map its west of 79 you can still see the ruins of the foundation..on the east side of 79 would be too close to the Indian village

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread