Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gang,
Anybody know this area or has anyone looked for this treasure ??

PLL

Holden Dick's Stolen Loot

EaglePeak1940.jpg

In March of 1881, a freight wagon carrying several hundred pounds of gold ore through Modoc County was stopped by a lone bandit. The ore from Nevada was destined for Sacramento and heavily guarded by three men. But, this did not stop the vicious outlaw. Immediately killing two of the three guards, he forced the stage to stop and the remaining guard and driver quickly surrendered. Forcing them down from the stage, he ordered them to set out on foot in a southerly direction. In the meantime, he boarded the wagon, tied his horse to the back and drove north where he is said to have buried the loot on the western slope of the Warner Mountains.

Eagle Peak in the Warner Mountains of California, photo courtesy California Digital Archives
The vicious crime went unsolved for years until a Pitt River Indian known as “Holden Dick” began to trade small amounts of gold ore in Susanville and Alturas. In between appearing in the saloons of mining camps, spending his money freely, the Indian would disappear into some of the most rugged sections of the South Warner Mountains, only to return again with a goodly supply of gold ore.

At first, the locals thought that the Indian was working a secret mine and when in the saloons, they would try, without success, to get the Indian to talk. They also began to follow Holden, hoping to find the mine. On one occasion, when another miner named Samuel B. Shaw was badgering the Indian for the location of his gold, Holden got fed up and shot the man, wounding him fatally.

Holden Dick was soon arrested for Shaw’s murder and locked up in the Susanville jail. On January 23, 1886, four men stormed the jail and dragged the Indian into the street. Beating, whipping and torturing the man, he refused to tell the location of his hidden cache and was finally hanged at the blacksmith shop.

Somewhere along the line, the authorities figured out that the gold ore so freely bandied about by the Indian did not come from a mine, but rather, was the stolen loot taken from the freight wagon some five years previously.

After a little more “digging” the cache is believed to have been hidden in a cave where Holden Dick lived most of the time. The cave was located in one of the many canyons which extend from Eagle Peak on the western slope of the southern Warner Mountains. He was also said to have constructed a crude rock wall at the cave’s entrance, though today it would most assuredly be collapsed. It is most likely that the cave would be located in the lower elevations of the mountains since the Indian lived there year round.

Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, © May, 2006

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks PLL for the post,

I don't know anything about the robbery or even the area, But found the story very interesting.

Sure would be nice if someone found Holdern's Gold ore cache, Holdern (The Indian) took a big chance going against three armed men including the freight wagon driver yet successfully pulled off the robbery.

Thanks for posting PLL,
Paul (Ca)

Inform

Greenie
May 3, 2009
I have been to this area. Camped there. It is public federal land, coupled with sacred Indian land. The feds, along with tribal police were there, counciling. This is what I know...they consider this area and these caves SACRED. There are artifacts everywhere, yes, they are on the ground, and you dare not touch them. This is at a high elevation, with rock outcropping formations. They STILL have ceremonies there, and there are ancestors buried there. It would be a SPECTACULAR site to go through, but it is impossible to touch, it belongs to jurisdictional control of the Indian nation. This happens to be one of those sites that is great to take pictures of, but not to take anything from. It will most likely not be found in our generation.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
Thax for the update... Makes me wonder if tribal members haven't already found it and didn't tell anyone ( after all it was atribe member that stole it )....

PLL

Inform

Greenie
May 3, 2009
More about this area...I assume that it is not patroled by any sufficient means, it is rather vast, approx. 5000ft elevation where I camped. They specifically say that it is sacred ground to the Nation, please do not remove any artifacts that you may find. Now I wish I had gone up into the cave areas, some folks were around that area, but I do not know if they went into them. The 'caves' are cragg rock formations,( many 'tent shaped' rock inlets) so there could be many places. It is cold, but it is liveable, summers are very nice up there. I also took an approx. 20 mile dirt road into the area. It is spectacularly beautiful up in this area, where there are huge meadows, streams, and then the higher rock formations. I am willing to bet that you are right, if it was found, it was most certainly by the Indian nation, as they use this area very high up regularly, and they know it quite well. IF the tribal council has jurisdiction, you can bet they are protecting it too.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a beautiful place... I wish there were some photos available...

PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread