Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joaquin Murrieta's Lost Treasure's

Hey gang,
I know we have a post on Murrieta already... But I'm just curios if anyone knows about these or have looked for any of them....

Enjoy
PLL

Joaquin Murrieta's Stolen Cache

Joaquin Murrieta was a legendary figure in California during its Gold Rush days of the 1850's. When he tried to make his living in mining, he faced racism and discrimination. Forced to turn to a life of crime, he was seen by some as as a Mexican patriot, resisting the white settlers' domination. Others saw him simply as a bandit. Murrieta became the leader of a band called The Five Joaquins, who were said to have been responsible for the majority of cattle rustling, robberies, and murders that were committed in the Mother Lode area of the Sierra Nevadas between 1850 and 1853. One of those robberies was a wagonload of gold that the Joaquins had stolen from the northern mines. However, when members of Murrieta's gang were driving the load along the hills east of the old Carrizo Stage Station they were ambushed by Indians. ( This could be in the Carrizo Impact Area another place where gold has been found- Hank's Mine and possibly Pegleg Smith )

murrieta.jpg

According to the tale, the gold, as well as other items taken from the gang, were hidden in an old burial cave under a projecting rock ledge. No doubt Murrieta would have soon gone after the lost loot, but he was killed by the California Rangers before he could retrieve the gold. The Old Carrizo Stage Station which once served the Butterfield Stage Station is located in the Anza Borrego Desert.

Another treasure that Murrieta was said to have buried is thought to be located between Burney, California and Hatcher Pass. The $175,000 cache, said to be hidden not far from Highway 299, has never been found.

Yet another stolen Murrieta cache, worth some $200,000. is said to be buried somewhere between Susanville and Freedonyer Pass near today's Highway 36.

Murrieta and his gang were often known to hid their stolen loot in the area of their robberies. On one occasion Murrieta and his right-hand man, Manual Garcia, known as "Three-Fingered Jack, robbed a stagecoach along the Feather River. The strongbox was said to have contained some 250 pounds of gold nuggets worth $140,000 at the time. Allegedly, the pair buried the strongbox in a on the banks of the Feather River in a canyon a few miles south of Paradise, California. According to Wells Fargo officials, the stolen gold has never been recovered

Maybe a little research and some roadtrips might yield some things......

Attachments

• murrieta.jpg
    murrieta.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,153

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Re: Joaquin Murrieta's Lost Treasure's

I haven't looked for any of these PLL,

Joaquin Murrieta was all over the valley including both mountain ranges, Would be interesting to hear if anyone has found one.

Not trying to get off subject here but I know an area Joaquin Murrieta, Many other famous men (both good-and outlaw), The Spanish and Tens of Thousands of pioneers including the Indians traveled a certain path. The path is maybe couple of hundred yards wide at most and maybe used as an area for camp sites for centuries, Before the Spanish the Indians used it so it must have centuries of artifacts.

I was showing this path to one of my friends a few months ago, Even he agrees surely must be centuries of interesting stuff dropped here.

I guess only one way to find out, Get permission from the owner and detect it.

Paul (Ca)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread