pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so here is a list of " many " stories, some of which are already here and most are not. I hope you like'm.

enjoy
PLL

1. In 1861 storekeeper Jerome Peyron was killed by a gang of Mexicans after he refused
to divulge where his wealth was located. Peyron was known to have made frequent trips into
the hills in J back of his store at Poker Flat and it is believed that this is where he buried his
gold coins.
2. Pioneer Peter Lassen became a very wealthy land owner and rancher in the 1820s and
amassed thousands of acres along the south bank of Deer Creek. He is known to have buried
his gold coins and dust in iron pots on his property near his home, at the confluence of Deer
Creek and the Sacramento River at Vina, or along the Lassen Trail which follows Deer Creek.
Lassen was killed by Indians at the age of 30 and his treasure hoard was never found.
3. Bandits buried a cache of loot in 1893 at Adams Point on Lake Merritt. One of the
bandits was killed and the other was arrested and sent to prison where he died. The cache has
yet to be found. On a little flat, in the hills above Lake Isabella, are the
4. remains of an old fireplace. Buried in it, or nearby, is the life savings of an old man
who died suddenly from food poisoning. The miner was known to have had several thousand
dollars in coins and bills which was never found after his death.
5. A wagonload of gold, which was stolen from the northern mines by the Mexican outlaw
Joaquin Murrieta, was being driven along the clay hills east of the old stage station at Carrizo
by members of his gang when it was ambushed by Indians. The gold and other items were
stashed by the Indians in an old burial cave under the projecting rock of a ledge.
6. A group of Mormons were crossing Clear Creek in the vicinity of Horsetown when the
creek was running high. They lost a chest containing $40,000 from the tailboard of a wagon
and it was impossible to recover, because of the raging storm waters in the creek. Mormons
returned the following Spring to recover the chest, but all traces of the ford were gone and
sand, rocks and gravel covered the area. The hoard of gold coins remain lost.
7. A party of emigrants lost their only wagon along the old Applegate Trail, when a lynch
pin broke and it careened over a cliff. On foot, they had to bury a large cache of gold coins
somewhere S of the Cook and Green Pass. The group lost their way and never returned to dig
up the coins.
8. "Rattlesnake Dick" Barter and his gang is believed to have cached over $40,000 in loot
from their robberies between 1852-1856 somewhere in the acreage between Iron Mountain
and Sugarloaf Peak along the ld Shasta-Yreka mule train trail.
9. A stagecoach carrying 2 boxes of $50 gold slugs worth $128,000 was held up at Weed in
1859. A posse from Mt. Shasta came upon the scene less than a 1/2 hour later and took off
after the outlaws. They came upon 2 pack animals on the western slopes of Mt. Shasta with
empty saddlebags and, 3 miles beyond this point, overtook the bandits and all were killed. It
was reasoned that the gold, too heavy for a fast getaway, was buried and part of the posse
searched the area for a week, but failed to locate the treasure.
10. An army mule train carrying $200,000 in gold coins was held up and robbed by
Modoc Indians near the old Castle Crags RR station. The gold was taken into the crags and
concealed in a cave.
11. The outlaw Rattlesnake Dick and his gang are said to have buried $106,000 in gold
stolen from two stagecoach robberies at the western foot of Mt. Shasta.
12. The outlaw Rattlesnake Dick Barter buried $40,000 in gold bullion near an old
muletrain trail on the side of the Trinity River in 1856. It has never been recovered.
13. In 1876, outlaws made off with $123,000 in gold bullion from a stagecoach. The
bandits reportedly buried the treasure somewhere in the vicinity of Mytrletowne, about 8
miles E Eureka. It was never recovered.
14. $40,000 in gold coins are buried in a cave near Castella.
15. California outlaw Joaquin Murrieta buried $175,000 between Burney and Hatcher
Mountain Pass not far from Hwy. 299. His cache has never been found.
16. The Rattlesnake Dick outlaw gang allegedly buried $80,000 in gold coins in the area
of Clear Creek.
17. $50,000 in gold dust and nuggets remains buried on the old Soda Creek Trail near
Soda Springs.
18. Charles Stewart buried a cache of treasure on Yerba Buena Island.
19. Bandits robbed a Wells Fargo stage in 1856 and were chased by a posse to an area at
the base of Mt. Shasta where they lost the trail. They picked it up later and overtook the
outlaws, killing all 3 in a shootout. The loot, worth $30,000, was not found and is believed to
have been somewhere around Mt. Shasta.
20. Several sacks of gold dust and nuggets were dropped into a narrow wash and covered
over with rocks and dirt by a band of Ute Indians who stole the gold after attacking a party of
5 prospectors. The location of this treasure, worth $50,000, is at Chimney Rock on the banks
of the Piedra River.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
Ok... It seems to me that all you northern boys ( and girls ) have to do, is head for the hills with your detector and a couple of hrs later BANG!!!! you have a treasure....LOL....ok ok what I would REALLY do is head for the library and start checking the old newspapers to see if I can find out any more clues on some of these. I would be willing to bet, that there is someone up there who is a " expert " on Rattlesnake Dick and some of the others. Maybe even someone on this site ??? Has ANYONE ever found one of Rdick's hide outs ??

PLL

lokichaotico

Jul 19, 2010
Hey PLL,
Thanks for this post. I just moved to Yreka a couple months ago and have been bored out of my mind. Theis RSD was a busy bandit and I look forward to sniffing out some of his loot. If there is anyone interested in helping out just let me know. I will be sure to post my RSD historical findings as I find them. I do believe I have found my new hobby.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem glad to help... I wish you and luck and if you can please keep me/us posted if you find anything...

Thx
PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread