Treasure at Travertine Rock UPDATE #2 !!!!

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think that this story is just a simple " misreading " of the petroglyphs. Which was spun into a treasure story by a early writer. This is on private property and I'm being told that there will be a housing tract going in near Travertine Point within the next year or so. My treasure partner and I have been in the cave and found nothing..... But I would LOVE to be proven wrong....

PLL

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pegleglooker, your PM inbox is full. Please contact me. Thanks, Randy

Drizzledrone

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
May 4, 2013
Las Vegas and Seattle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pix from '09. The Travertine Rock Treasure legend has a particular allure because of the unexpected suggestion that Spanish and French were present together in the region in 1570. According to "Lost Treasures of California - Map & Guide", respected U.S. District Court Judge Clarence Routhe believed that the place had been a popular landmark and campsite since pre-Columbian times, and had enough confidence in the legend to make plans for an expedition to search for the treasure before his death in 1958.

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travertine Rock thread resurrection time... a couple of days ago I was out detecting Travertine at the top where they use to hold Sunrise Services. Looking for silver coins, jewelery and such. Northern half is private property as it is in grapes at the moment, southern half marked KEEP OUT P.P. but the signs are all State type.

I left and drove a mile or so south on Coolidge spgs. road. I stopped and talked to an old guy who owns property that he lives on there. As you know the Military had an ordinance range just a little south of there and there was still a Navy presence 25 yrs. back. Any way, I got to talking metal detecting to him and he was quite versed on the Travertine legend. So much so he said it was real and he knows what happened to it! He said a number of years back the State and the Navy blocked off an area, brought in heavy equipment and moved bouders and dug.He said it went on for almost a week and no one was allowed anywhere near the operation. They closed it all up and gave no information.

He told me that it was not treasure in the traditional sense but a large cache of early Spanish and Native Am. artifacts, that what the rumor was anyway. Just hearing this I figured I would add the old guys story to the thread.

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All treasure stories are fishy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread