Treasure at Travertine Rock UPDATE #2 !!!!

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gang,
Ok, I took the sandwagon out on her first roadtrip, and on the way there I stopped off at Travertine Point. Where ?? Why??? Here's
traver1.jpg

Ok, I know to some of us this story doesn't really hold any water ( no pun intended ). But let me shed a different light on it. First for those who don't know, according to this article by Walter Ford, there were " Spanish " and " French " renegades back around 1570 that stole church valueables and hid them at the rock. There are a number of problems with this story, first Cortez just barely got started on his conquest back around 1519. So that leaves just 51 years for exploration to reach the rock in California ( let's face it, it's not like the moved " very " quickly ). Second, according to what I was told, there weren't any French in the area at this time, and third, Lake Cahuilla " may " have still been around ( but at a much lower height ).

traver2.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

So, this is why I ask.... Why could it have not been either of the suspected ship captian's in the Lost Ship story ?? The years ( approx ) could fit and if your ship was grounded, doesn't make sense that one would bury or hide what treasure's you had ?? There was also a Papal cross and the Cross of Lorraine carved into the rock.

traver4.jpg

Juan de Iturbe and Thomas Cavendish are the 2 suspects. Iturbe was more of a explorer and Cavendish was looked at as a pirate ( or patriot depending on your side ). Remember, Iturbe was brought before the courts to explain what happened to their ship. Can you imagine trying to explain to the king and Queen, how you got your ship " landlocked " and by the way, I need another ship to go back and get what I had left on the first ship ???? Anyway that's what i found and I was just wondering what everyone else's take is on it.

PLL

Picture 002.jpg

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Treasure at Travertine Rock

Ok i didn't realize how big the pixs would be... but hey you won't have to use your glasses... ;D ;D ;D

PLL

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey PLL,

I climbed all over both sets of rocks a couple of years ago (that's where I dropped and destroyed a big zoom lens on my DSLR). Nothing really there, other than some really neat carvings.

I think if there would have been a cave on either of those two stacks, we would have found it.

You know, Travertine Rock is not far from where Fig Tree John's Mine was supposed to have been.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Mike,
I have a story about Fig Tree's mine but I'm holding it for now... I'm thinking with all the build up on sand around the rock I wouldn't be surprised if it's REALLY buried... btw where excatly did you see the carvings. I looked but couldn't locate them...

PLL

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We couldn't find the carvings in the pic. We figured somebody destroyed them over the years. Somebody who took pictures, and knew the location, chiseled them off so no future hunters could find them. OR......maybe we just couldn't find them ::) ::), but three of us spent a whole day going over both rockpiles.

Best-Mike

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007

Hey pegleglooker!

I worked for an Indian Tribe for a while, an I heard Rumor they found and were planning to work Fig trees Mine,plus a tourmaline deposit. Rumor? TD Also I new old timer here who once told me that pegleg found nuggets, were from rotted out saddlebags on mules, loaded with black nuggets from Motherlode brought down by one of two brothers, who was killed and mules scattered and drop nuggets in different areas of CV. TD

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tesoro dog said:
Hey pegleglooker!

I worked for an Indian Tribe for a while, an I heard Rumor they found and were planning to work Fig trees Mine,plus a tourmaline deposit. Rumor? TD Also I new old timer here who once told me that pegleg found nuggets, were from rotted out saddlebags on mules, loaded with black nuggets from Motherlode brought down by one of two brothers, who was killed and mules scattered and drop nuggets in different areas of CV. TD

I think they'd probably have to work it in secret, because if it is near where it is supposed to be, it's in ABDSP (Anza-Borrego Desert State Park), or maybe on private land (by Travertine Rock).

Best-Mike

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey Gollum,
I wonder if the the natives still retain mineral rights to the Santa Rosa's or parts of ABSP ??

PLL

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe, but I doubt it. We screwed them out of pretty much everything, why stop there? :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor:

Mike

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey gang,
Just thought I would send a little update for you all... Bruce Huffington and I spend two really GREAT days running around the desert, and our first stop was Travertine Point. At this point I would like to quote someone that I TRULY respect, Gollum wrote " We couldn't find the carvings in the pic. We figured somebody destroyed them over the years. Somebody who took pictures, and knew the location, chiseled them off so no future hunters could find them. OR......maybe we just couldn't find them Roll Eyes Roll Eyes, but three of us spent a whole day going over both rockpiles."

Well Mr Gollum... These pixs are for you.......

This is what we found on 2-17-2009
traver4.jpg

and this is Bruce with our attempt to duplicate the pix
DSC_0001.JPG

and here is the originial
DSC_0002.JPG

I hope you like them... and I hope this " may " renew some interest in this....

PLL

Attachments

• traver4.jpg
    traver4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 915

Nullers

Mar 11, 2007
Ridgecrest, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2 White's MXT
Re: Treasure at Travertine Rock UPDATE !!!!

Very cool photos :thumbsup: I like to try to recreate old photos as well :)

Looks like there has been a bit of spalling over the years :(

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California

Thanks for posting the pics John,

That's cool the fellow in the new picture beside the carvings matches the old timer in the older picture, bet that was an experence of a lifetime standing in the same location.

Once, A cousin and I went out searching for two indian caves up in Last Chance canyon and like you and your friend it took us forever to locate them in the rocks. We found both caves but headed out as it was getting late, We always wanted to go back and search them but never went back.

Thanks again for posting the pics,
Paul (Ca)

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey gang,
Thankx for all compliments, but the REAL work has just begun... What I am trying to do is to decipher the meaning of the symbols. I have tried to " enhance " the pixs a bit by outlining the symbols as best as I could. I also darkened the original pix to see if anyone would be able to understand that one as well. The symbol in the upper right does look like a typical cross and I can see how the one on the left " could " resemble a Cross of Lorraine ( or maybe a butterfly ). But what is the thing on the left side, and in the lower left corner ???Toast ?? A slab of somekind ??? Let's see what the consensus is... Have fun...

PLL

Here's a outlined look
DSC_0002_1.JPG

2nd try at it
DSC_0002_12.JPG

darken to see if it's clearer
DSC_0005_12.JPG

the original darken a bit
traver41.jpg

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California

John,

You think maybe the carved symbol to the upper left is a (cloud & rain) symbol and maybe the lower left below is a lake?

Maybe others will have a better idea what the symbols mean, Hope your research can solve the mystery :icon_study:

Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 11Cloud.JPG
    11Cloud.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 835
OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey gang,
here's another shot to ponder....

PLL

DSC_0001_1.JPG

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Treasure at Travertine Rock UPDATE 2 !!!!

hey gang,
Ok we went out again to see if we could find the " cave " that was written about from Walter Ford. We honestly though there would not be anything that would " qualify "... BOY were we surprised.... Here are some of the pixs of the findings....

Enjoy
PLL

could this be the one ??
DSC_0199.JPG

here snakey snakey
DSC_0205.JPG

Find anything ???
DSC_0194.JPG

Nothing yet ???
DSC_0206.JPG

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey I almost forgot, does this look like more inscriptions or ????

Thankx
PLL

DSC_020411.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread