San Luis Valley Treasure, Lebreau-LaBlanc Expeditions

Oct 9, 2008
LaGarita
33 Million Dollars in Gold Bullion - Yet unfound?

Treasure maps and manuscripts, diarys, documents primary resources- research

Anyone looking for this treasure?

Gold bullion buried underground 30 feet

Bullion suppose to be buried in several locations.

mysterious undocumented undercover french expeditions to mine gold for france 5 years in duration.

Anyone found any artifacts in this region around South fork and the San Luis Valley?

Keep Searching

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apparently one of the actual mine sites on treasure mountain was located in the 1870's but no gold was found.
According to Leon Montoy, who found the mine with Asa Poor in 1870, years later wrote:

"years of avalanches and rockslides caused tons of rubble to be deposited atop the likely locations of the gold caches."

from Colorado Treasure Tales, W.C. Jameson, Caxton Press, 2001page 129

OP
OP
Deadman's Bullion
Oct 9, 2008
LaGarita
Yea I agree that some of the gold was re-discovered and recovered. That story may be incorrect in that nothing was discovered. Maybe cover a cover up. The gold was hidden in several different sites. Not all the sites where located in places with landslides and avalances. The area that is focused on the most is a side show - if you will , a distration from the real site of the burried treasure. I believe it is burried many miles from that location. In citadel mountain II Adams puts fourth the theory that some of the gold was recovered by ancestors of the french expedition. There is no proof of this, but seems possible. even that theory does not have all the gold recovered. Also brings up possibility of the original locations being found , and the gold transported and hidden in new locations.

Anyone have primary information on this treasure.

keep searching

Troxartes

Nov 20, 2008
Deadman's Bullion said:
Yea I agree that some of the gold was re-discovered and recovered. That story may be incorrect in that nothing was discovered. Maybe cover a cover up. The gold was hidden in several different sites. Not all the sites where located in places with landslides and avalances. The area that is focused on the most is a side show - if you will , a distration from the real site of the burried treasure. I believe it is burried many miles from that location. In citadel mountain II Adams puts fourth the theory that some of the gold was recovered by ancestors of the french expedition. There is no proof of this, but seems possible. even that theory does not have all the gold recovered. Also brings up possibility of the original locations being found , and the gold transported and hidden in new locations.

Anyone have primary information on this treasure.

keep searching

My family has handed down stories of this treasure for 5 generations. I'm wondering, is the side show you speak of the big rock with the arrow on it, in the town of Las Mesitas by the mesa?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The first question to ask in a gold legend of this size is does the
geology of Treasure Mtn, Colorado support or deny such a claim.
If it does I sure wasted a lot of time searching in the general
vicinity and not just going to this site in the first place. Let's hear
from TH'ers who have actually combed the mountain and their
opinion. lastleg

djr1100

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2008
Denver, CO
Deadman,
I just recently read about this tale and have become intrigued by it.

Any idea on how to get started with researching whether the French ever sent out an expedition?

Supposedly 300 men set out initially, something this large it seems to me would be documented. Especially around the time of the Louisiana Purchase, which occurred right at the time Napoleon declared himself 'Emperor'

Melbeta

May 10, 2010
djr1100 said:
Deadman,
I just recently read about this tale and have become intrigued by it.

Any idea on how to get started with researching whether the French ever sent out an expedition?

Supposedly 300 men set out initially, something this large it seems to me would be documented. Especially around the time of the Louisiana Purchase, which occurred right at the time Napoleon declared himself 'Emperor'

A air force man, prior to 1976, went hunting for deer south of Fountain, CO, and on the east side of the river, Fountain Creek that is, he was walking near the river on the bank, and saw something shiny in the water. It was a gold head from a statue, and an old story researched by Jim Woods, said that the French were going south on the Fountain River, and somewhere south of Fountain CO, they were attacked by indians, and during a battle, they buried a treasure in two places, one larger, one smaller, and only 3 of them made it back to New Orleans, and none of them returned. But they told of the story. So maybe this gold head, was from that treasure?

I know this story as the friend of the Airman (Richard Lyon), told it to me, and when I had him try to find the Airman, we found he had been killed in Viet Nam. So the story ends there............

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Melbeta, are you referring to the Fountain, CO by Camp Carson? South of the
Springs? That's a fur piece from the French "mine on Treasure Mountain. If
anyone cares to find out where gold has actually been found in Colorado that
area is not one of them. Try NE at Summitville which isn't very far.
Gold was found in Colorado around that very time by a Kentuckian named James Purcell on the Platte or Arkansas, who knows. Zebulon Pike ran into
him being held at Sante Fe in 1805. The Spanish governor wanted James to
take his soldiers to where he found it but he was too stubborn to submit so
they kept him there doing carpentry work for 15 or so years. I think it was just
placer gold not lode anyway.
Some Cherokee brothers from Georgia found some gold at Cherry Creek in 1858
starting the Colorado gold rush.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions