old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is Horn's Peak in Colorado? From your post, it just get's your hands sweaty thinking of finding that gold and picking them nuggets of the mine walls.

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is Horn's Peak in Colorado? From your post, it just get's your hands sweaty thinking of finding that gold and picking them nuggets of the mine walls.

_digger yes it's a few miles east of lake Dillon Colorado. Your question answers one of mine though:

Should the title line include a Colo town or area. Like South Park or Salida and type of treasure? I have a bunch more I'd like to list (probably already on TN somewhere) but with some type of map. What do you think?
BB

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: I'd use my own disgression, You may want to vaguely give an area, if you yourself plan to search for such mine. Don't give out too much information to the point that every Tom-Dick and Harry is going to be swarming in the area that you plan to search. Remember to research, and don't give out too much information.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never a more secret society than the treasure hunting "community" ... except perhaps those who hid the treasures in the first place!

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello: I'd use my own disgression, You may want to vaguely give an area, if you yourself plan to search for such mine. Don't give out too much information to the point that every Tom-Dick and Harry is going to be swarming in the area that you plan to search. Remember to research, and don't give out too much information.

Most or all the Colorado Treasure Tales are old, and described in general terms like South Park or near Pike's Peak, somewhere on the Platte river etc. Making it interesting enough but if it was easy to find we'd all be there.

In the past 100 years the praries have had many floods, range fires, tornados etc that most of the places I've been to are covered with a layer of fine sand or dirt. Covering all but the most prominent features. Like foundations or old town sites. Even with pretty good maps and GPS the road that used to be there may not be. And maybe you can't get there from the nearest road.

One particular townsite we searched had been burned once and moved. Then a tornado and/or flood caused it to move again. To a spot we could see but not get to. Easily anyway.

The mountains and in fact all high features are constantly falling down. Avalanches, mining activity, road building mess up all except the most obvious features noted in the Treasure legend.

Plus below timberline most Aspen forests look pretty much the same. Grow fast and hide landmarks.

Like the Arizona gold mine that folks have been seriously searching for over a hundred years. If anyone has found it they aren't telling.

The odd bandits loot, bag of gold coins or whatever dropped or hidden in a hurry could be anywhere. Remember earlier hunt sites that you could never quite zero in on a second time? I had an ancient Indian site I ran across while hunting the flat-tops. Made a mental note to find it again someday but never could.

And any newbie who has planned a search using a USGS map may find the actual terrain much tougher than the map. (Me, early 70's, North Park around Mt. Zircle wilderness. Short few mile hike turned out to be straight up & down)

All the gold areas around Central City either are claimed or hunted a lot. South Park is mostly ranch land and hard to get access to the "good" sites.

And the map locations may be 100 years old. So don't worry about me offering too much info about where a treasure might be. If I knew I would be there as I write this. Otherwise it's just good fun to sit around a campfire wondering how-the-heck the old prospertors carried all there gear up that hill and where would they hide their goods. And where would an outlaw hijack someone. Fun to think about..........
BB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread