The Needle Mountains of southwestern Colorado

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
The Needle Mountains of southwestern Colorado form the heart of the rugged San Juan massif. Located in the southeast corner of San Juan County, the Needle Mountains extend southward into La Plata County. The range consists of a large cluster of towering peaks centered around Mount Eolus, and a western outlier known as the West Needle Mountains. The main portion of the range and the West Needle Mountains are separated from each other by the Animas River. Indeed, the Animas River is virtually the only portal into the nearly impenetrable Needle Mountains.

The eastern or main portion of the range is dominated by some of Colorado's highest peaks. These include Mount Eolus (14,083 feet), Windom Peak (14,082 feet), and Sunlight Peak (14,059 feet). The West Needle Mountains are not quite as lofty as the main portion of the range. The West Needles basically consist of two major peaks, Snowdon Peak (13,077 feet) and Twilight Peak (13,156 feet).

The Needle Mountains comprise the uplifted Precambrian core of the San Juan massif. This awesome range of mountains consists of stark alpine peaks and rugged, brush-filled canyons and ravines. The flanks of the mountains are cloaked with a thick cover of heavy forest. It is extremely difficult country and is indeed some of the most rugged terrain in North America.

An aura of mystery and intrigue surrounds the Needle Mountains. The ancient granite peaks enticed the early Spaniards with the promise of gold and silver. Spanish prospectors found little gold or silver but they did leave evidence of their passing. When American prospectors entered the area during the 1870's, they were astonished to find signs of ancient Spanish mining activity. Nestled between Lime Creek and the Animas River, the West Needle Mountains still beckon the modern-day prospector. At least two well-documented lost mines are located somewhere in the area. The Lost Carson Mine is said to be located somewhere along the northern slopes of the West Needles in a brush-filled, boulder-choked ravine. The second mine is rumored to lie somewhere along the southern flanks of the range. It consists of an incredible 8-inch thick seam of sylvanite ore found by a man named Tom Estes in 1893.

Tom Estes had been prospecting the mountains of southwestern Colorado for a number of years during the early 1890's. In 1893, his efforts were finally rewarded with a fabulous discovery in the West Needle Mountains. Somewhere on the southern slopes of the West Needles, Tom Estes stumbled upon a rich vein of sylvanite ore. That first summer, Estes took out 2 sacks of extremely valuable ore. The following summer, he returned to the mine and recovered an additional 7 sacks of ore. 1895 would see his last visit to the mine. His third and final trip netted him 5 more sacks of rich ore. He sold those 5 sacks of ore for $2800!

Tom Estes died the following winter without ever revealing the location of his mine. A number of local ranchers and cattlemen had seen samples of the rich ore and were tempted to search for the lost mine. But no one ever found it. It remains hidden to this day.

shedcrazy

Oct 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted for the lost Carson mine for many years with my grandpa. I know of the Lost Estes mine but have never hunted for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions