Mesa Verde Treasure Stories? Or historical mention of stone indian faces

slingchine

Sep 22, 2006
Logan County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
4 Garretts, a Bounty Hunter, and a hickory twig
Does anyone know of treasure stories around Mesa Verde in SW Colorado? I am looking for any info or history concerning stone faces located in the national park area. I would like to hear of any type treasure stories associated with that area, or maybe historical mention of any such legendary stone indian faces around or in the vicinity of the cliff dwellings.Please help if you can.

Thank ya kindly.... I like them there french fried tators...awright then....umm...hmmm

Slingchine

OP
OP
slingchine

slingchine

Sep 22, 2006
Logan County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ok folks, evidently no one knows anything about my subject, or, on the other hand maybe everyone is trying to keep a secret. I am very serious about my first inquiry. To prove that I am serious, I am posting pictures of the stone "faces" that I have located. They are directly across the canyon from each other and so obviously appear to be looking at each other that It got my imagination going like crazy. One appears to be European and the other Native American. You tell me.....or am I just imagining things? Apparently the light has to be just right for both to be seen as such...................with my overactive imagination......I believe there is more to be found ...maybe a treasure site? Let me know what you think???

Attachments

• mesa verde cliff face.jpg
    mesa verde cliff face.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 782
  • mesa verde cliff face 2.jpg
    mesa verde cliff face 2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,083

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Have you researched the Weatherill family who were first white folk who
saw it. Man I sure enjoyed your performance in "Sling Blade".

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
slingchine.....in researching some old newspapers on Mesa Verde...I find lots of reference to the Cliff Dwellers and about the trees and some hotel of sort that was once made of trees...had like 144 rooms or something..did not read the entire article.

Those stone faces....I wonder if they were not put there by the Cliff Dwellers...I'm still searching for articles that would pertain to the stone faces.

This is interesting...
Annmarie

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
slingchine said:
Does anyone know of treasure stories around Mesa Verde in SE Colorado? I am looking for any info or history concerning stone faces located in the national park area.
Slingchine

Hi Sling,

You will find credence to your theory about possible treasure caches and trails in, around and through Mesa Verde.
But you won't find it if you go looking in SE Colorado.
Might I suggest you head on over to Cortez and the four corners area.
You will find yourself right where you want to be.

Study SW Colorado and have better luck.
(Not to pick nits but one letter can ruin a google search)

LOL
Thom

OP
OP
slingchine

slingchine

Sep 22, 2006
Logan County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Thank ya kindly, Old Dog,....... mybad no wonder I couldn't get any response before now, folks probably thoght I was an ol dislexic fool. ...Appreciate the correction.......and I will check those links out....thanks again...

Slingchine

OP
OP
slingchine

slingchine

Sep 22, 2006
Logan County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Thanks Lastleg
The wheatherill name brings up mucho info, I appreciate the help.

Slingchine

OP
OP
slingchine

slingchine

Sep 22, 2006
Logan County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Thank you, Ms Annmarie, I sure do appreciate your help in the research......It did seem very mysterious when I relealized what I was looking at ....all sorts of things went through my mind .....

Slingchine

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Many of the Faces have definite Spanish origin.
the detail of the face the angle of the gaze and how the profile is visible says much about
what the face was meant to show.

Some are visible from all sides,
Some from only one,
Others stare blanky straight up at the sky.
Some are no bigger than a baseball and some are as large as an entire cliff face.
Here is a face I posted earlier, it is a trail marker, it tells you that this is the direction of travel and the trail is clearly marked.
they all say something.

Thom

Attachments

• indexCAQ39EX4.jpg
    indexCAQ39EX4.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 716
  • indexCAQ39EX4.jpg
    indexCAQ39EX4.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 573

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I have followed trails that took me through a National Park.
Very few of them ended in the park, and most went onto BLM or private property as they left the parks.
Private property is not a problem to go across if the proper permission is asked for.

Thom

dennisdunigan

Apr 8, 2007
Canon City, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Hello, I too research trail markers left by the Spanish. They used many diffrent types. Faces, turtels, crosses, hearts, ect.
See if you can find this book. " San Luis Valley Rock Art" it has some spanish carvings in it. The book is by Ron Kessler. pg 134-137 has some spanish carvings. Also I have seen a carved castle that I am sure is a marker. The faces most likly are trail markers. Good luck with your research! It is a lot of fun :icon_sunny:

Melbeta

May 10, 2010
Old Dog said:
Very few of them ended in the park, and most went onto BLM or private property as they left the parks.
Private property is not a problem to go across if the proper permission is asked for.

Thom

This is for your information and welfare only. Do not ever take a metal detector into an National Park, administered by the National Park Service, under the U.S. Dept of Interior, as a former NPS ranger I will tell you, for your information only, they will seize the metal detector, and fine you also, whether you are using it or not. That is a federal law. And to wander off of the permitted trails, get written permission first, or they will fine you. You cannot remove anything from a national park, including a twig or a leaf, without getting fined. There is no private property in a National Park. BLM is a different government agency, Bureau of Land Management.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Melbeta said:
Old Dog said:

Thom

This is for your information and welfare only. Do not ever take a metal detector into an National Park, administered by the National Park Service, under the U.S. Dept of Interior, as a former NPS ranger I will tell you, for your information only, they will seize the metal detector, and fine you also, whether you are using it or not. That is a federal law. And to wander off of the permitted trails, get written permission first, or they will fine you. You cannot remove anything from a national park, including a twig or a leaf, without getting fined. There is no private property in a National Park. BLM is a different government agency, Bureau of Land Management.

I think if you look at what I said, You will see ..." most went onto BLM or private property as they left the parks."
If given proof of the trail you are following that enters the park the park service has no problem letting anyone walk through.
No you cannot detect don't bring one in the parks. And NEVER, dig holes or camp where not designated.
Bad manners by one ruins it for all.

Melbeta

May 10, 2010
I noticed the following statement, and not intending to create an argument, it does mention this, which appears to state a trail that entered a National Park. What I stated is absolutely true, as I was a National Park Ranger. One cannot enter a park, following a trail, unless it is a sanctioned trail. I merely cite federal laws and regulations, keep out of National Parks, National Monuments and National Historic Sites. If you have a metal detector in your vehicle, including the trunk, leavee it there, do not call attention to it. Unless you want to lose your metal detector and/or be fined. I am speaking of federal regulations when I used to be a Park Ranger. Unless they have since changed that law.

BLM and National Forest are another world, and in those I would suggest you ask permission, state your intentions, and obtain written permission to do any prospecting and/or metal detecting. They will not fine you for having the metal detector in the vehicle, just some of them prohibit using a detector in those areas. Not all of them. Notice, I said "some". Again, not looking for an argument, I speak from experience. Always travel on authorized roads, walks, or authorized trails. In one place that I worked, there was a dirt trail or pathway, you were permitted to walk on it, but not permitted to step off of the trail. Each park has specific "park related" regulations. In one park where I worked, right below the visitor's center, was a lot of petrified trees and petrified wood, and no one was permitted to wander into that area, because of theft of petrified wood. In the parks where I worked, there were animal trails, that traversed the parks, but the trail ended at a fenced location. Animals leaped the fence, but humans were not permitted to cross that fence area. I metal detect myself, and am speaking to let others know, rather than let them get into trouble. Personally myself, I like to meet the people that run the park, monument, historic site, BLM, or Forest Service, introduce myself, and get the guist of what I can do and what I cannot do. That way you will stay out of trouble. The rest of what you stated, is absolutely accurate. Yes, bad manners by one, ruins it for all!!!:

"I have followed trails that took me through a National Park."
Very few of them ended in the park, and most went onto BLM or private property as they left the parks. Private property is not a problem to go across if the proper permission is asked for.

Thom
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think if you look at what I said, You will see ..." most went onto BLM or private property as they left the parks."
If given proof of the trail you are following that enters the park the park service has no problem letting anyone walk through.
No you cannot detect don't bring one in the parks. And NEVER, dig holes or camp where not designated.
Bad manners by one ruins it for all.
[/quote]

Melbeta

May 10, 2010
Old Dog said:

Thom

I never worked at Mesa Verde, but I was there in August 1961, visiting a former Chief Ranger, Clark MacLemore, who was a former Chief Ranger from the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert National Park, of which I was currently working at that time. I am very familiar with Mesa Verde, and was given a very special tour of the park by Rangers there at that time. I have visited the park since that time.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Melbeta:

Anyone planning on prospecting/detecting on Forest Service land should be
aware that some FS personnel will attempt to "sting" you. Say you call ahead
to see what you can and can't do. Initially they are courteous and welcome you
to come and do your thing. They find out where you plan to camp so they can
easily find you once you arrive. So you merrily set up camp and receive a visit
from an irate "agent" blaming you for any nearby downed trees. Then he stomps around looking over your gear treating you like scum. Maybe the next
day a couple females cozy up to gather intel. By this time you know the drill
or so you think. Finally a seasoned NP Ranger sets up camp next to yours.
He shoots the bull with you until he is satisfied you are not here to cause mayhem.
This happened to my buddy and I at Lynx Creek when all we did was pan for
a little color.

Melbeta

May 10, 2010
lastleg said:
Melbeta:

Anyone planning on prospecting/detecting on Forest Service land should be
aware that some FS personnel will attempt to "sting" you. Say you call ahead
to see what you can and can't do. Initially they are courteous and welcome you
to come and do your thing. They find out where you plan to camp so they can
easily find you once you arrive. So you merrily set up camp and receive a visit
from an irate "agent" blaming you for any nearby downed trees. Then he stomps around looking over your gear treating you like scum. Maybe the next
day a couple females cozy up to gather intel. By this time you know the drill
or so you think. Finally a seasoned NP Ranger sets up camp next to yours.
He shoots the bull with you until he is satisfied you are not here to cause mayhem.
This happened to my buddy and I at Lynx Creek when all we did was pan for
a little color.

That is a shame. They are sworn in, to defend and protect that park, and to help people enjoy the park. If they see anyone damaging anything, stealing anything, or speeding, they do arrest them. When I go to a national forest, I tell them my interest, and ask them what I can do, and what I cannot do, and tell them I am there to help them, and I will not damage or leave anything damaged. And I do not have any problems with them. I guess it is just a difference in the kinds of people, or the administration running things there locally...

When I was a National Park Ranger, all government agencies were governed by Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 1, Park 2, Section 1(a), which states:

"Except as otherwise provided in this chaper, the following activities are prohibited:
Possessing, destroying, injuring, defacing, removing, digging or disturbing a structure or its furnishings or fixtures, or other cultural or archaeological resources."

Persons convicted of violating these provisions "shall be purnished by a fine not exceeding $500 or by imprisonment not exceeding six months or both, and shall be adjusted to pay all costs of the proceedings."

Now, if you read that carefully, it does not mention metal detectors, or prospecting, or panning. So you can say, "they have including things, by stretching that 'other cultural' phrase." But keep in mind there may have been subsequent federal laws passed since then! And also remember, it is not only the federal statutes that they must enforce, it is the regulations that the particular agency instructs the local rangers. In our case, we had directives that came down from the head of the National Park Service, in Washington DC. You do it, if you want to keep your job.

Now here locally, the forest service does not bother anyone panning for gold, as long as you do not damage or destroy things. However they do defend the land, and if you start to dig it all up, there you will find trouble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread