Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IS THIS KIDD'S TREASURE?; February 16, 1884, Wednesday

IS THIS KIDD'S TREASURE?; SILVER VESSELS, SWORD-HILTS, COINS AND A BOX OF GOLD DISCOVERED.

BRIDGEPORT, Conn., Feb. 15.--The residents of the hamlet of Berkshire, two miles north of this city, are excited over the reported discovery of hidden treasure by a gang of Italians who have been excavating for the ... [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9A07EFDD1238E033A25755C1A9649C94659FD7CF

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: IS THIS KIDD'S TREASURE?; February 16, 1884, Wednesday

sorry i cannot copy it
you will need to sign up to the new york times
to read it.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: IS THIS KIDD'S TREASURE?; February 16, 1884, Wednesday

Did anybody found any more treasures? Good luck to everybody.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff of pa

How are things with you? I have not been on for a while because I was insulted and harass. My former name is: Connecticut Sam which I also like to used again with Connecticut_Danny. Grateful for any info on any unpublished true stories about Connecticut that you are no longer working on.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Jeff

I hope you check out the old threads where I was insulted. Read response to my above comments pertaining to my two names; Connecticut Sam and Connecticut_Danny.

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Connecticut,

I used to live in Madison in the 1980's. I had a 36' sportfishing boat docked in Westbrook, CT. that we used on the sound.
New England is full of Kidd Buried Treasure stories and reported sites; all of them tourist traps. The only treasure that he buried in New England was on Gardeners Island and it was recovered by the Governor whom Kidd told where it was. The folks around Branford, CT will tell you Kidd buried a treasure in the Thimble Islands; there is no proof of this. They claim it was placed into a crag in the rocks only accessible at low tide. Kidd was only 1/2 pirate (lol) He had one ship taken from him in the Bahamas and another taken from him by Captain Avery in Madagascar. His piracy was very marginal as he was operating under letters on marque and was probably more of a privateer of the crown and of the Governor of New York. He was most likely unjustly executed. He is a colorful character however. I have dived around the Thimbles and found plenty of sterling dinnerware in the water. A hurricane washed a number of the Island mansions into the sound in the 1930's along with their contents. The visibility is nearly zero in L.I. Sound and it's a difficult place to dive and to find anything unless you're right on top of it. There are always lots of boats coming and going as well. Any of the public beaches should give you some good hunting. If you get into the water you'll find a lot of fishing gear as well. Try searching around old docks; you'd be surprised at what people lose overboard...outboard motors, anchors, propellers, wallets, etc..... Old docks = Old bottles!

Cheers and good luck,
:occasion14:

Last edited:

NAVIGATOR

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2014
WOODBURY,CT.
Detector(s) used
GARRET ATX PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A small satchel of gold coins was also found on one of the islands off Norwalk aprox 15 yrs ago. There were only like 10 gold coins but it was beleived to have been placed there by Capt. Kidd. Just because it's not known doesn't mean there aren't others. Good luck in your hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread