OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The article didn't say, Danny. But if you get the magazine, you can read about it.

The article is about a family named Snow, who like to metal detect together. Among other things the Snow's, who operate(d?) Snow's Metal Detectors in CT, had signed a contract with a family who believed their grandfather had buried gold coins in their yard in the 1930's. The Snow's wisely had the family sign a search-salvage agreement prior to hunting the yard. When the cache was found, the family seemed reluctant to uphold the written contract. But eventually they did because the contract was a legal document.

One of the coins the Snow's recovered was at an unnamed NY churchyard just over the CT border. The coin proved to be a 1839 over 6 (1839/6) Braided Hair Large Cent. At the time of the discovery, it was worth $450, with complete hair bands and other important details. Worth considerably more today.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is really hard to be honest when you found cache of very old coins including gold coins and silver dollars, not knowing what each coin is worth. If I find any treasure in Connecticut, I would sell my coins in a Stack's Coin auction in New York and New Hampshire. I would like to know how much the gold coins were worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread