Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Specie - coins or coinage

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The stories of this ship have always been interesting. Supposedly it sunk in the area of Bartlets Reef which is outside the Thames River off New London. This reef supposely has tall sea weed on it anmd rocks. As far as I ever heard it has never been located. As for the $500, 000 treasure aboard, it has never been determined if a fact or rumor.

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Connecticut Danny said:
Has any coins been found? Where is the location of this ship now?

There had been searches for this wreck, I remember reading of them back in the 1960s, but it seems no one ever found it. Never heard of any coins or cannons from it either. They say it is on Bartlets Reef which is mainly rocks and sea grass. I believe it has fast currents also. Should be easy to find with a magnetometer, if it really exists.

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Connecticut Danny said:
Has anybody had found coins from this ship?

Very unlikely. But if someone had found the remains of this ship, they probably wouldn't let anyone know anyway. The State of Ct. would likely intervene and run the finder off the site, and claim it as state property as it is in state waters.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look anyway, and hope for the best. Merry Christmas to all. i live in Connecticut.

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
sandbank said:
There must be a million lead sinkers on bartlett reef. The wreck of the Defense is said to be there as well. 1779

You are likely right on the sinkers. The Defence is what I am talking about, not some frigate. I don't believe there were 2 different supposedly treasure ships sunk on this site, I don't know where the San Jose name and 1752 date came from. I also read of a Spanish ship which supposedly sunk in New Haven harbor in the 1700's. It was seeking shelter from a storm, but sunk anyway, supposedly near the large sand bar off West haven. A cannon was found around WW2 era off the sand bar area by someone who was claming. I have been told it was found in 2 different areas though. Probably looking in old newspaper files or microfilm in libraries from the area, would give the truth about where the cannon was found.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many great comments. Best of luck to all of you who are searching for this treasures.

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
There won't be any news in the Winter time or Spring either. I doubt anything new will come from this area. It has been known for ages and nothing has ever been found. It is a rough area to search and as I said before, the State would likely take it over and you would get nothing.

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If you don't hear anything about it in the news on TV or newspapers, then it means no one has found anything. At least anyone would know better than to say they did, or the state would step in and claim it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions