Barrels of english coins buried in Cross City area - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Barrels of english coins buried in Cross City area

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    Minelab Excalibur II Discovery TF 900
    17 times

Re: Barrels of english coins buried in Cross City area

Only problem with this story is I have no proof that they ever said that stuff was buried, so far it has been rumor/legend/folklore whatever. Some people seem to think it may be located in the Tampa area if it is true.

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    51 times

I would look around charles spring..Old indian area if you can,im not sure if you can look that place maybe close by...

us
    Dec 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    17 times

Where is Charles Springs? Tampa area or Suwanee?
    Does anyone have info from library of congress or another entity state or federal or even English regarding the accounts of so called Gold to pay for there freedom to Jackson?

us
    Jan 2005
    Ocala florida
    Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
    1 times

wow never had this happen before just "timed out and lost my whole post !!
    oh well to late to re do the whole thing..
    Has anyone ever looked into the son.. after his fathers death is he poor and fades away suggesting family assets were lost ?
    Where was the family's trading business based at, just the "store" on Suwanee which might support a buried keg bank or down at cedar key were the son was directed to head with the assets suggesting a flow of goods in, assets out, or all the way back down to the Caribbean under the English flag where the lead and powder shipped from ??
    The lore is buried, but I don't recall any facts in the trial / letters other than directions for the son to move ( don't remember exact wording ) assets across river and make passage down river on a certain boat ( to Cedar Key area) is there a clue in that, are the goods south of a fork and the fork has to be crossed to meet up on the main shipping lane ??
    Tampa ?? new to me, unless trade business based at , leads you south, but that might lean more to the, goods in - money out, small amount on hand at "store" and the money offered at hanging - more of an offer to trade life for payment at a future date. ?
    This guy had no real reason to think he was going to die when he wrote the letter, I think he wanted to get his stuff out of an up and coming war zone. So the way he operated day to day would help define where his money would be.

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    51 times

General Jackson and his men marched to the east of the Suwannee River where Arbuthnot and Ambrister had a thriving trading post near an Indian village (present-day Clay Landing), a few miles from the present-day Chiefland. There he destroyed the post and massacred many Indians.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f10040.jpg 
Views:	1365 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	281859  

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Port Richey, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
    1895 times
    Shipwrecks

Relicdude I thought the indian village was S. of Fowlers Bluff. That area is all filled with houses now. I didn't find anything in CA swamp.

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    51 times

Mission san juan de guacara was by charles spring 1600s.The one they speak of in the jackson raid was at the first sharp bend on the river the bend is on both maps i posted.....I would love to take a look around ,but its about 4 hour trip for me ...Maybe oneday

us
    Jan 2005
    Ocala florida
    1 times

Another Cool map, look at the differences in the two waterways over time. Well Arbuthnot was picked up by Jackson all the way up at Fort Saint Marks- therefore the distance away supports the letter being written.(and later used in the trial) Ambrister is picked up at the mouth of the Suwanee on a schooner with Arbuthnots clerk ( Cook) so maybe assets did move - made the schooner trip and got nabbed at the end,( sort of follows letters directions ) Cook testified against both of them, and unexpectedly they both die, but again, they are both now back up at Saint Marks, far from the "store" , so if there was a "keg bank " it stills leaves Cook and/ or Arbuthnot's son to go retrieve it.
    If it was on the schooner ,? who knows endless possabilities.
    If your a writer for CSI, Cook forged the letters and implicated the other two, took the treasure and partied on the beach with hot girls, while I cock my head and look of my sunglasses
    Hitndahed likes this.

us
    Dec 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    17 times

All this theory is great but lets stick with the facts that we know, cook and Arbuthnots son went to Pensacola and have no history of staying in the states, probably shipped back to Bahamas or England. This Treasure Lore would never have been known if it were not for treasure, so the question remains to where or what did Arbuthnot and/or Arbister say about hidden kegs of coins. If we cannot document that important part then it is almost futile to be searching for anything. Its like guessing and then searching a beach thinking you may find buried treasure but a Pirate or whomever may have never set foot on that beach!

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    51 times

I was just trying to help put yall in the right place...Most important part is you gotta look or you find nothing..If your not in a old place where history took place then again you find nothing....
    Hitndahed likes this.

us
    Dec 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    17 times

I appreciate your help and understand what your saying but others get sidetracked. I still am not convinced that this story is true yet I am the one that is out in the swamp searching for it. It is kind of like saying John wilks booth was paid 100,000 dollars in couns for shooting lincoln and buried it after he shot him, we know he shot Lincoln and we have documentation of his exploits but there is no proof of the money or that he ever said he had any. Just the same, Arbuthnot/Arbister is very real and we know some of their dealings, but I have no solid evidence that they buried money or offered it in exchange for their lives. I do believe they had some sort of financing either from England/Bahamas or thru trade with Indians.

us
    Jan 2005
    Ocala florida
    1 times

You are correct, and you can't pin down a verbal - at the point of dieing statement. The facts tell me at least three people knew the inner working of the trading company's business, of those three ,two still were alive after the death of the third. There are alot of facts about this event recorded, as for the coins ... well people have spent there life looking for stuff based on alot less fact and a bunch more emotion.

us
    Dec 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    17 times

Without more facts these old maps are useless, looking at Fowlers bluff working north you run into yellow jacket and then fanning springs, there is so much room in between, the maps do not do the area justice.

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    51 times

The old maps are all you got .Have you found the trade post?or know where its at?

us
    Dec 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    17 times

No clue to where its at, its such a vast area and now I have proof that they also had a trade post/plantation in tampa!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links