OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Ambrister came from Jacksonville area along with Arbuthnots clerk (peter Cook), I don't think he was involved with moving the goods, that was a letter sent from Arbuthnot to his son, I believe Ambrister handed out the hard goods to the negros and Indians to go to St Marks and free the fort. In tom terrys treasure atlas he says the 2 traders leaded for their lives and offered 8 kegs of gold and silver coins worth $100,000, said they are buried in high ground in california swamp, did they mean suwanee area or st marks area?

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Here are some pictures from my Suwannee trip recently. If there was a trading post it has long been gone.
Odlund home Suwannee.JPG
Odlund boat slip.JPG
Eric Odlund grave marker.JPG
Luella Odlund grave marker.JPG
Odlund children grave marker.JPG
Pete Asleep.JPG
A PIRATE ASLEEP!

Attachments

• Pete Asleep.JPG
    Pete Asleep.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,130
  • Odlund children grave marker.JPG
    Odlund children grave marker.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 1,145
  • Luella Odlund grave marker.JPG
    Luella Odlund grave marker.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,473
  • Eric Odlund grave marker.JPG
    Eric Odlund grave marker.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Odlund boat slip.JPG
    Odlund boat slip.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Odlund home Suwannee.JPG
    Odlund home Suwannee.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,465

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
HEY MAN! I didn't know you took that! Heres a couple more: The first one is Hog Island Bluff. The second one is Sabre15 and our guide. If you want to visit these islands, contact Capt. Keith Brown at www.suwanneeguides.com. He is an excellent guide and very reasonable.

Attachments

• DCP01168.JPG
    DCP01168.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,151
  • DCP01170.JPG
    DCP01170.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,123
OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Hey Pete, go and look at the cache hunting forum one, your pic with a better caption!

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005
I have a MAP! dated 1818. Shows where Bowleg's Town was as well as some Negro Towns. All on the Suwanee. Below is some excerpts from that map. I'm not showing the Suwanee River but the whole map shows it.

Attachments

• Suwanee Bowlegs Town.JPG
    Suwanee Bowlegs Town.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,350
  • Suwanee Negro Towns.JPG
    Suwanee Negro Towns.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,253
OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I found this map at one time, I will have to find it, if I remember right it does not add up to the layout of the area including the river.

damonwatson

Mar 11, 2006
I just quickly read through the posts, and I haven't done the research, but there has always been a rumor that Baird found pirate money on fowlers bluff...but it could have been this money....Im sure he wouldnt be perticular...

this is one of the accounts that I found...

GAINESVILLE, FL – There is a tall tale, deep in the swamplands of Florida, along the banks of the Suwannee River near a place called Fowler's Bluff in Chiefland. There, it is said, pirate Jean Lafitte sailed up the river and deposited millions of dollars of his "earnings," burying three chests in the quicksands of the bank. It was this treasure that was reputed to have been found years later in 1897, when sawmill owner Emmet J. Baird – whose business was going through some rough times – tried his luck at finding one of the boxes.
Following a treasure map and instructions given to him by a fever-ridden old man on his deathbed, Baird gathered a small group of men and spent the next three months trying to raise the dead pirate's booty from the sunken ground. Whether or not he ever found what he was looking for has remained a mystery, a secret locked within Baird and his descendants, yet the rumors all point to his success:
• Baird's sudden disappearance, slipping away in the night
• A broken lock, found at the dig site by a former workman
• Baird's reappearance in Gainesville, where he opened the Standard Crate Company and
purchased what is now know as the Baird Mansion, a 5,400 square-foot, three-story Second French Empire-styled home built in 1886
• The sporadic appearance of old coins in the hands of the Baird family members
throughout the years.

Fact or fiction, the intriguing story found its way into a "Saturday Evening Post" article in 1945

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fowlers Bluff??? They must have leveled it. It's just a boat ramp now. :icon_scratch:

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
I thought June Carter Cashs' family owned quite a bit of property in that area in the 50's thru the 80's. maybe the still do. lou.s momma and her husband ran a fishing charter out of old port richey and he fished with johnny cash every now and then in the 70's. lou said johnny told him maybelle owned alot of property on the suwannee river there. ck property records maybe you can get permission there .

Rich_Hill76

Nov 19, 2015
Tampa Bay, Florida
Detector(s) used
-None Yet-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a map with California Swamp on it, I've been up there hiking and such many times... I have heard of this also...

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same old story without any proof or signs of getting closer. How hard is it to dig a hole or to parrallel dig next to that hole? Who knows? I just hope the other legends havn't found Arbutnots(if it exist) cache!

All these stories of treasure buried 13' - 20' deep in Florida. The water table were I live is 2' and most of Fl is 3' - 6'. No one buried treasure deeper than that believe me... It would be impossible without modern pumps.

terajackson

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FORT DUVAL AND THE SUWANNEE RIVER
County: Dixie
City: Old Town
Description: Captain Francis Langhorne Dade, U.S. Army and his 120-man Companies A,B,D,H and N, built Fort Duval in November 1826 at the mouth of the Suwannee River. The structure was 140 by 130 feet and six feet high with portholes for firing. The fort was named for territorial governor William Pope Duval. Fort Duval was built to guard the mouth of the Suwannee River. Indians used the river for many years, traveling to Cuba, the Bahama Islands and other places to trade and purchase goods. William Bartram witnessed this in his travels in 1774 while visiting the Indians up river from its mouth. In April 1818, General Andrew Jackson used the river to transport his wounded back to St. Marks after his Battle for Billy Bowleg’s Old Town, located on the Suwannee River. Fort Duval was destroyed by May 15, 1841. At that time, Capt. Cambell Graham wrote of Lt. Palmer’s survey of the mouth of the Suwannee River in search of the remains of Fort Duval. Time and tide have destroyed all traces of Fort Duval. The Suwannee River now carries fishing enthusiasts and sportsmen.
Sponsors: DIXIE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, THE SUWANNEE RIVER CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE

Capture.JPG

mr_rich

Aug 21, 2013
Ormond Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live on the Suwanee, spent much time on the river. There were guys I would see out there by where it meets the Santa Fe river diving all the way down the Suwanee on any giving day.They worked that river for years no fear of gators or gars. I can only imagine what they pulled out of that river.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I looked at the GPS co-ordinates of the store and it's in the middle of a swamp, miles from the nearest road. Why in the world would someone build a store here? 27.66698N, 82.53315W

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread